Whats the area like!? Saffron Walden

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I'm still in the process of looking for somewhere that suits to move to.

We're looking for a horsey property so we can keep the ponies at home, but I'm wondering what the riding/horsey scene is like around this area!? I'm not super competitive but would love to find somewhere with friendly people to hack, sponsored rides, clinics etc with.

Am quite conscious that being at home will be wonderful but possibly also quite isolating. So keen to hear about the area.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm in Walden and I absolutely hate it for horses to the point I've been trying to move away for 3/4 years (and, hopefully, am finally succeeding). I keep mine out of the area because it's that bad, although that's partly because mine are on livery. There's one show venue (that I can think of) and a couple within 45 minutes or so which I personally prefer. There are a couple of other places which do clinics, but they're not places I'd go to, for various reasons. Hacking is very variable, but north of Walden isn't bad, towards Ashdon / Hadstock, or south west, Quendon / Clavering way. There are nicer places in the general north Essex / Suffolk / Cambs / Herts area if you have options.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I'm in Walden and I absolutely hate it for horses to the point I've been trying to move away for 3/4 years (and, hopefully, am finally succeeding). I keep mine out of the area because it's that bad, although that's partly because mine are on livery. There's one show venue (that I can think of) and a couple within 45 minutes or so which I personally prefer. There are a couple of other places which do clinics, but they're not places I'd go to, for various reasons. Hacking is very variable, but north of Walden isn't bad, towards Ashdon / Hadstock, or south west, Quendon / Clavering way. There are nicer places in the general north Essex / Suffolk / Cambs / Herts area if you have options.
Ooh! That doesn't sound positive ? The house we have seen is Wimbish sort of way. There is also another Bedford/St Neots way.

So hard to know! Google maps shows endless fields but very little in way of bridle ways. Hard to know how amenable the farmers may or may not be to people hacking on perimeter.

Where would you suggest? I need to be in 30 mins or so of Cambridge but aside from that dont really have any other constraints.

asmp

Visit site
Walden is my home town but I haven’t lived and owned horses there for many years due to husband‘s job. There is a well known riding club - if you read the British Riding Club magazine they are always being mentioned as often up in the top places.

Starzaan

Visit site
My cousin lives in Saffron Walden, and has horses at home. She has always been really happy there. I remember hacking out with friends of hers that were fairly local when when I went to stay last. I think the horsey scene is pretty good!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Ooh! That doesn't sound positive ? The house we have seen is Wimbish sort of way. There is also another Bedford/St Neots way.

So hard to know! Google maps shows endless fields but very little in way of bridle ways. Hard to know how amenable the farmers may or may not be to people hacking on perimeter.

Where would you suggest? I need to be in 30 mins or so of Cambridge but aside from that dont really have any other constraints.

Wimbish is nice but I'm not sure the hacking is great, I think the local livery that is / was there had a bit of private hacking. Don't know if they'd allow access by private arrangement. It's not awful - there are a few bridleways, but the little roads can be bonkers as some of them are used as a cut through (SW has some real traffic / road layout issues exacerbated by extensive local development).

There is a fairly successful local RC, but I've never had a positive dealing with them or their members, so I avoid it. You might be luckier than me in that respect.

St Neots isn't a great area for livery, but it's (imo) a nicer area generally and if you've got the horses at home that's not such an issue for you. It's very variable hacking-wise though - like most places you kind of have to look at that on a house by house basis.