What's the right way to feed carrots?

winkles

Visit site
Is there even a right way!?

I've heard people say cut them into circles, I've heard people say never cut them into circles. I've had one YO who preferred them sliced lengthways into sticks, one who snapped it into halves width-ways and a fellow rider who fed them (and apples) whole.

Does it make a difference if you're hand feeding as treats or chucking them in the feed bucket at tea time?

My horse isn't really treaty as he gets nippy, but I thought it was an interesting question :) !

And apples - whole, halved or quartered?

VioletStripe

Visit site
I've always been taught to slice them into sticks because into disks or circles they can stick in the horse's throat! Not sure about an apple.. I'd have thought halves would be suitable? Will be watching to see what people think :p xx

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Carrots - I have chucked buckets of them in the field (as well as fed 30 on a yard) either whole, snapped in half or cut into strips and never had an issue. Only time I ever saw choke was when 2 horses had been fed carrots cut into circles so for me, I would never feed these.

Apples - again, I've fed whole, halved and quartered and there's never been a problem.

I started by feeding in strips/quartering and then snapping in half/halving and now feed fruit/veg whole. my youngster who has had choke with feed, has never shown the slightest signs of choke with these so for mine, this is fine :)

appylass

Visit site
Mostly feed any fruit/veg whole unless supplies are dwindling then I might snap carrots in half. Oldie gets them sliced longways into strips to make eating easier for her.

Tinypony

Visit site
Too much sugar. I only feed carrots sparingly and in the winter, my poor nags are deprived. I would either feed whole so that the horses know what they've got and will ut them up, or sliced lengthways to avoid choke. Generally though it's 2 carrots between 3 horses, so they are sliced lengthways so they can share nicely. :)

bj666

Visit site
Always cut lengthways to avoid choke . Apples I leave whole and they eat them like we eat them . I slice a bucket full twice a day and throw them around the field so they have to hunt the carrots , they love it and it gets their minds active searching the field and the joy of finding the "treasure " , its like watching children on a Easter Egg Hunt ! Never had a "too much Sugar" thing , carrots are mainly water nowadays , average 5grams of sugar and 41 calories per 100gm of carrots .

team barney

Visit site
Carrots - I have chucked buckets of them in the field (as well as fed 30 on a yard) either whole, snapped in half or cut into strips and never had an issue. Only time I ever saw choke was when 2 horses had been fed carrots cut into circles so for me, I would never feed these.

Apples - again, I've fed whole, halved and quartered and there's never been a problem.

I started by feeding in strips/quartering and then snapping in half/halving and now feed fruit/veg whole. my youngster who has had choke with feed, has never shown the slightest signs of choke with these so for mine, this is fine :)

This ^^^^^

Boxers

Visit site
carrots - either whole or if I'm running short then cut them lengthwise.

apples - whole, halved or sliced

swede/turnip - whole

noodle_

Visit site
whole :)

or snapped into 2/3 if i want to make it last those extra minutes while im bribing her lol! she only gets carrots to mask bute/vitamins anyhow :)

Kat

Visit site
I get my carrots from a chef at a posh restaurant so mine are peeled and sliced into batons. Horse is a spoiled girl!

winkles

Visit site
Whole seems to be the majority here! Thanks for all the input, I was interested to see what the HHOers said after carrot-watching on the yard ;)

Tnavas

Visit site
Depends on the size of the carrots

Small ones - like humans prefer, I slice lengthwise

Apples - in quarters or crushed - recently watched two vets battle to clear an apple choke from a pony at a show.

Swedes, very large carrots and turnips I leave whole for them to gnaw.