What's wrong with my boy??

BorgRae

Visit site
Hi everyone!

I’m looking for some thought’s or theories and some advice or experience please?

I’ll try to make it as brief as poss but give as much info as I can…

Ok, so I’ve been re-training my lad for the last 6 months. Previously he was a happy hack for a year and before that, left in a field with no attention.

Anyhoo, everything has been going really well, we’ve done some dressage tests etc, have lessons once a week… etc… Saddler checked and adjusted saddle at beginning of December and he had his regular physio check up, no pain. Excellent!! On with work…

Then the problems started…

Day 1 - 2 weeks ago, at the very start of my lesson, he was getting a little too close to the fence, so outside let went on to move him over, and he freaked, kicking out and jumping/jogging. I turned him in small circles assuming he was being naughty, and everything was fine. Good lesson, no issues.

Day 2 - Hacked, no issues.

Day 3 – Schooled. He was resistant in the contact, faffing with his head, breathing a little funny, but nothing too worrying. At this point I thought there was something up with his teeth.

Day 4 – Hacked. Not happy at all, shaking head, reluctant to trot. Got off, called dentist and decided not to ride until dentist came. He was last done April.

1 week later…

Dentist came, and said although he’s ready for his teeth doing, there’s nothing glaringly obvious wrong. No sharp edges etc, however he is packing food between two teeth on either side, nothing major, but she said this could cause him to be uncomfortable. She removed the food and advised I hosed his mouth twice a week. There was also a slight pinch on the inside of his right cheek that she said could have caused an issue. She advised a couple of days to rest his mouth, a new thinner bit, then gentle hack to get used to bridle and then back to work.

So, that was Friday. Didn’t ride over the weekend to rest his mouth, but loose schooled.

Got on him yesterday, and as soon as I sat on him and my leg touched his side he freaked, doing mini bronks. I got off straight away.

Must say also that he’s not been eating as much recently. He’s a bit of a food monster and eats every scrap of hayledge, recently, he’s not been eating as much as normal, but gobbles his dinner down in seconds!! He hasn’t lost any weight.

(oh and has decided to get Mud Fever as well!! Not lame, or sore, just a few scabs).

So, what do you think???

So sorry it’s long!!! Cakes and pies all round for suggestions!

BorgRae

Visit site
Sorry, should have said, the vet is coming tonight to have a look :eek:

But just wondered if anyone had any thoughts as to what it could be??

I wondered if this is the type of reaction you'd get when a horse has an ulcer??

ETA - I just want to prepare myself for posibilities really

POLLDARK

Visit site
Is he turned out with another horse that may have kicked him, bruising his chest on one side ie the side you put your leg on to move him from the fence & what happens when you apply pressure to his side with your hands (from the ground). He might have had a fall & slipped while playiong around in his paddock with the same result. Just a thought.

BorgRae

Visit site
I did think of that, as he does play out with a playful pack!

I rubbed hands all down his back, bum and his sides where my legs lay, but no obvious reaction.

Although, can't rule that out. Thank you for your ideas!

midnight mayhem

Visit site
Yes you COULD get this type of reaction. But then you could get this type of reaction from a number of things. What is his turnout routine? What is he fed? And hay?

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Get saddle checked.
Physio and chiropractor.

Not eating as much plus sedative stomach.
Could be something he's eating.
ulcers,
liver,
colic,

Best get the vet to check him over, he may advice a blood test and maybe a bute trial to figure outside its pain or behavioral.

BorgRae

Visit site
He gets turned out for a couple of hours in the morning, and a couple of hours in the afternoon. No grass, so Hayledge.

His hard feed is a scoop of Happy hoof and a scoop of formula for feet. He's been on that combination for about 6 months.

He gets ad-lib haylege in his stable for when he is in :)

soulfull

Visit site
You are doing the best thing getting vet. As others said could be he has been kicked
My guess with the
Loss of appetite is ulcers
Symptoms of ulcer like anything:- horse may only have 1 or 2 of them or all of them
My own horse was reluctant to let u from his left side but instead of being grumpy he would give u his head to groom instead
As he was a new horse I didn't notice fast enough that he was chewing excessively on the bit when it first went in
Finally he started refusing to canter and did handstand bucks
He was worse on the right rein
I got vet to scope him and he had grade 2 ulcers. All treated and gone now and he is back to his old self. In fact better than ever :):)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Ulcers would be my first thought. Does he feel all bunched up, like he's holding himself? Ulcers can cause an over sensitivity and resentment of the leg going on, usually more on one side than the other, and also a reduction in appetite. We have a mare at my yard with them.

BorgRae

Visit site
Eek, he is exactly like your horse 'soulful', nudging me with his head when I lead him (only be happening for a few weeks) which I why I initially thought teeth.

Hmm, it's begining to sound more and more like ulcers.

And Wagtail, yes definitely more sensetive on one side that the other when ridden, and can sometimes tense/bunch up.

Glad I've got the vet coming! Thanks everyone! Keep fingers crossed for us xx

soulfull

Visit site
Glad to be if use :)
I would call get and ask him to bring scope. They don't always carry them and would save u another call out and time!

midnight mayhem

Visit site
He would be better off having as much turnout as poss. Also IMO hay would be better. Get vet to him ASAP. If it's ulcers he should be ok after treatment.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I'm surprised the dentist didn't say the gap in the teeth doesn't need looking into further. My last horse had diastema and had to have all the gaps widened to prevent food getting stuck. Does he quid?

Jill Crewe

Visit site
I'm surprised the dentist didn't say the gap in the teeth doesn't need looking into further. My last horse had diastema and had to have all the gaps widened to prevent food getting stuck. Does he quid?

I was just about to post the very same thing.

My new horse had terrible diastema which had led to periodontal disease and one tooth had to be removed. He was quidding very badly and must have been in constant pain. Don't rule out the teeth issue - maybe ask a qualified dentist to take a second look :)

BorgRae

Visit site
My dentist did say he would need doing more regularly, and that I need to hose his mouth out a couple of times a week, and to keep an eye on it. She said it wasn't too bad at the mo, but to keep an eye out.

I'll ask vet to bring scopes. I hope it's not too bad and we've caught it early! I'll let u know! Thanks everyone :) xx

BorgRae

Visit site
Sorry, should have also said he's not quidding and she's one of the top EDT's round here...however, I won't rule it out. I'll get the vet to check his mouth as well.

Thank you :) x

Jill Crewe

Visit site
Sorry, should have also said he's not quidding and she's one of the top EDT's round here...however, I won't rule it out. I'll get the vet to check his mouth as well.

Thank you :) x

Good Luck with vet visit - hope you get to the bottom of it quickly so you can get back to normal. It's horrible when there's something up - you just want it fixed :)

Zargon_91

Visit site
you said your retraining him? Every time he has been naughty youve got off and put him away. Id say if nothing turns up (and im no way saying dont get saddle back teeth vet checked!) he might be being clever?

putasocinit

Visit site
Do you wear spurs, just thinking lots of schooling over 6 months withnspurs could be hurting his sides, no need to show pain with hands, also maybe needs a break from work just some fun things and happy hacking for a week. Check the spurs they do hurt.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
My ex racer did this too, was nothin on vet visit and no teeth problems. Turned out he had hurt his back very badly, his neck and poll were terrible, he had likely slipped in field but if you looked at his shoulders they werent level or equal muscle wise. Also when pushing gently on the whiter and feeling middle of sternum it wasn't rocking as it should.
After a couple of osteo sessions he was good as New and his muscle balance came straight back into place and was equal to look at again.

BorgRae

Visit site
And the verdict is....

So the Vet has been. He checked his back, legs, teeth, mouth, temperature, lungs, heartbeat... Everything!

I put his tack on, he spun him in small circles, trotted up, looked at his saddle, his sides were ok (i don't wear spurs, and no pain there)...

I asked why he hadn't been eating as much, vet suggested that as he hasn't been in work, he could have a loss of appitite, but the fact he still gobbles his dinner, and is eating and poo is normal, there's no issue... etc etc... Needless to say, there's nothing wrong with him :rolleyes:

Vet suggested a possible bute trial... which I though was a fair idea...

However, whilst vet was there my riding instructor was down giving a lesson. I was due one today but canceled because of this "issue"...

Anyhoo, Instructor said she thought he was taking the mick...

So we took it slow, leaned over, patted all over (he wasn't fussed at all!!), then slowly got on... fine... squeezed gently for walk... fine... Trot... fine!!

Well lets just say, I got on him, rode him and he was good as gold :mad:

Hmm, think perhaps I'm going soft in my old age! He's a clever monkey, so it doesn't surprise me that he soon worked out that a 'shake of the head' or a 'kick out' and i'd get off!

ooops!!!

Must admit, i'm soooo relieved he's ok! perhaps i'm just a bit neurotic!

But better to be safe than sorry! And based on that, i'm gonna see how we go for the next couple of days, just some hacking and light school work... I'll be firm if he's a monkey, but also aware in case it's 'something'!

Horses eh?!?! ....who knew they can turn you into a nervous wreck!!!

Thank you all so much for your replies, advice and wisdom! :D

Jill Crewe

Visit site
Oh that's fantastic news. I must say I'm going through a bit of the same thing myself with a new one that has been out of work and needs getting back into the swing of things. There have been issues with his teeth as previously mentioned but I think he is also trying me on with a lot of things so I know exactly how you feel.

At least you can let out a sigh of relief that he is okay (although I would give him a good thrashing when nobody is watching for putting you through such worry for no reason :D)