Whats your thoughts on this frog *pics*,also in vets,

ru-fi-do

Visit site
Whilst waiting to hear from my farrier I thought I'd post some pictures of my mares frog. The cleft of her frog seemed to form a hole that looked little bit thrushy/pussy. I've been keeping it clean with saline and drying the area, she hasn't been exposed to any wet, we've had no rain for weeks, she comes in in the day for 6 hours on a clean dry straw bed with matting. She does have a tendancy to stand in her poo but i've always had a strict routine of picking her feet out whenever she comes out the stable. The only thing I can think is of she hs sweated on the rubber matting as her bulbs of her feet are close to the floor???
Yesterday I noticed parts of her frog starting to go yellow, the pictures were taken this morn, most of the frog seems nice and dry but still smells if you move the gap with your finger or hoof pick. This morn her bulbs of her foot are hot and she's got some swelling around her fetlock.
I'm hoping my farrier will be able to come today/tomorrow and trim the frog back and have a look, but can't help wondering about the start of canker? Perhaps i'm overreacting?? Would be interested on peoples thoughts.

PhoneJUL149.jpg

PhoneJUL150.jpg

PhoneJUL151.jpg

PhoneJUL152.jpg

lexiedhb

Visit site
Looks a bit like my share horses frogs... he has god awful feet and no amount of cleaning/ointment/iodine etc keeps them totally thrush free, and he gets maggots in them somtimes which is just plain gross!!! I would say if she has thrush/puss in em to bathe them in savlon or some other disinfectant.........

mil1212

Visit site
looks abit like sheared heels, can come from a hoof imbalance, your farrier should be able to better advise. My one horse has sheared heels and I just clean them out every now and then and use a little hoof disinfectant to dull the smell - I use the cornucrecine one which seems the best.

Natch

Visit site
Not sure about the cleft, but to me it looks like the shoe is causing abmomality in the frog by digging in either side of it, and for some reason the bulbs are billaterally uneven. it would be interesting to see the foot on the ground, and what her conformation is like in general. I'd be asking the farrier to explain why your horse's foot is the shape it is, and learning a little myself about feet (you can buy good books about feet from amazon etc).

You could treat the frog by cleaning it well and applying a hoof disinfectant, or even something like purple spray until the farrier comes. If it is a bit smelly it might be a bit thrushy, but the heat and swelling would concern me more - if the farrier can't come out soon, I would ask the vet to come out - could be an abcess and if they travel up the leg it can get exceedingly nasty.

Disclaimer: i'm interested in feet and study them, but am not an expert!

Booboos

Visit site
I know nothing about feet, but looking at the photos I would agree with Naturally that the bulbs are quite uneven and the shoe doesn't quite fit very well. I have no idea what caused this or how to sort it but I would also ask the farrier and maybe even get the vet to give you a second opinion.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I would get the shoes off altogether, if you can. Try tubbing the foot in warm water and epsom salts, and then drip the frog with tea tree oil neat. See what the farrier says tho ! May well be a vet job. sm x

ru-fi-do

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, my farrier was due at the end of the week but he says he should be able to call in Monday, her feet have grown very fast this time, she usually goes 8 weeks no prob at all but it will be just coming up to 7. I have been cleaning with saline and keratex hoof disenfectant, i'll see what he says, he is usually very good, especially with remedial shoeing, one of the best in the area, but agree with the shoe size.

reddie

Visit site
I have found the purple spray which is also used for cows and sheep feet is very good at treating thrush