Wheezing and Running Eyes

Parkranger

Visit site
After a steriod injection, Ty's eyes are still running and now he's wheezing too! Taken him off echinacea and garlic as of today as I'm wondering if that's causing the wheezing (started about 1 week ago after he'd been on new garlic granules and echinacea for a few days).

Nearly exclusively on haylage now after cutting out hay slowly.

Spoke to vet and she's convinced it's an allergy thing as opposed to a bug re. his eyes (clear tears and no coughing) so wants to put a camera down his throat but I'm sure there must be another solution!

I don't think it's his bedding - he's on shavings and they're good quality (not dusty)......

At my wits end a bit!
mad.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
Wheezing only happens during exercise and it's more in the top of his throat as opposed to chesty wheezing.....he's still very forward going though.....

Pasha

Visit site
My boy has unknown allergies in the summer - he has had his tear ducts flushed etc etc but cannot find a cure for his runny eyes - I have found cold tea and tea bags (minus milk and sugar) bathed on his eyes helps alot!

Parkranger

Visit site
That's a good idea.....I thought they were getting better but then the weather turned rainy - the minute the sun/heat has come back his eyes are running again.....

Wish somebody would make a decent supplement for eyes....

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I have a horse that has the same problem with his eyes. Its been a case of try all the different drops/ointments until you find one which works. Just started on Fuciphulmic (I think, down the yard - same packaging as Fuciderm). Is working for the moment, but my vet tells me there is stronger still to try after if it works.

GTs

Visit site
A camera down the throat is kind of a big deal - if you are worried about it I would personally load your horse up and take him to the hospital - get a second opinion on what is going on, and those guys really know there stuff.

Parkranger

Visit site
That's what I thought.......I just can't figure out what's started the wheezing - I'm thinking it's down to the horrendous hay, plus the fact that he won't cough to clear his throat!

Parkranger

Visit site
Vic is that a steriod? Can't use steroid drops due to him being blind in one eye (his eye 'soaks up' any steroid which can burn the eye ball......yuk!

vicijp

I think it probably is. Same packaging as the Fuciderm (rather than the white packaged Fucidin), which I know does. There are definetly a stack of them that dont though.
Have you tried adding local honey to his feed, reputed to work the same way as a flu - jab (put a bit in to build up the antibodies and lessen the reaction). I had a filly who coughed with a pollen allergy, it made no difference. Luckily the pollen allergy doesnt affect his breathing, only the dust allergy.

Parkranger

Visit site
Tried honey but it gave him the runs!!! Why did I buy a bloody TB? lol

He didn't wheeze were he was before and he was on straw - unless he was on medication that I didn't know about.....

Vet thinks it's defo an allergy thing so I suppose it's process of elimination - it's the wheezing that concerns me though.

x

vicijp

Its taken me 3 years to work out the allergies mine has, and still a fair way to go.
Personally I would get him scoped and get the vet to pop the soft palate, check for other issues. He may have an infection which could be easily cleared up, mine gets them on top of everything else.