Wheezing/grunting

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Any ideas? I have my own and I have what the vet has said but looking for a wider view.

26yr old, currently being fittened slowly for summer fun, being ridden three times a week for about 1-2hours hacking, very hilly area, in W/T/C. Also hire a school couple of times a month for some schooling.

Vet described his left lung as sounding full of mucus. Was placed on a supplement that was expensive but did nothing, full blood panels done nothing out of the ordinary with than Cushings.

Out 8-4, in an airy outside stable, which is an old converted calving pen, so brick with a lined gate as a door, kept on dust extracted shavings and fed a wet sloppy feed.

It is after harder exercise he starts grunting and has a whistling wheeze, no COPD diagnosed after tests by the vet.

I am looking at supplements to try and help this since the vets did nothing I'm open to ideas. Looked at global herbs Airways plus as it is for mucus. Any other recommendations?

PorkChop

Visit site
For the cost of it, I would personally have a scope done, with a wash if necessary - doesn't sound like much fun for him at the moment.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Thanks all. He is not doing it for long and it is getting less as he gets fitter. Scoping would be too stressful for him, the vet disregarded it after giving him several tests and then two vets listening to his lungs and heart. He had a full work up of checks and bloods.

I have been instructed to work him, the vet wants him fitter and for me to build up muscle tone due to his Cushings, hence the slow build up. It isn't a loud wheeze, nor is it panting or shaking, it's like a deep whistle and as I said he doesn't do it for long. Vet is in the picture due to his Cushings etc I'm looking for alternatives to the supplement given that didn't work. :)

rara007

Visit site
I'd ask for a second opinion be that another vet from the same place, another place or referral. That's quite a broad range of work you've posted, I wouldn't be doing hours of hard work with him at the moment but no idea how much C and T are in the current work! The wheezing sounds like he may be wanting some bronchodilators or antibiotics...

The scoping shouldn't be too stressful? Any vet that does a lot of racing work should be pretty proficient!