Wheezy foal

no_no_nanette

Visit site
Our 11 week foal has had a typical case of the "foal snots" (I think much of it going round this year, maybe 'cos of the weather), with fairly thick greeny mucus in his nostrils. He's been on a 2 week course of antibiotics, and the "runny nose" seems to have pretty much cleared up, but he still has a dry cough, and if stressed you can hear very chesty breathing. We've just switched him and his mum onto haylage, but I'm a bit worried that he doesn't seem to be able to throw off his chestiness. The vet had a listen to him about a couple of weeks ago, and said that she thought his breathing was better - but it seems to be taking a long time to get really better! I hate pumping them full of antibiotics at this age, and he seems very bright in himself and doesn't have a fever - has anyone had a foal with similar symptoms, and if so, what did you do? Advice please!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Nothing other than good husbandry!
Seriously, if he has already had a course of antibiotics then I would leave well alone; if you pump any more into him (unless it is absolutely necessary) it is amazing how dependent they can become on them, their immune system won't learn to stand up and fight it itself. That is not to say let him suffer, of course not; if you feel unhappy then get your vet to have another look and listen, as you say they last listened two weeks ago and a lot can change in that time with foals that age
I would make sure all feed is damped, fed from the floor (no haynets, he needs to be able to keep his head down) and don't let him get stressed (why is the foal getting stressed, all he should be doing is eating, playing and sleeping, there shouldn't be a need for him to get stressed unless you mean if he has a charge about?). If it's a cold wet miserable day then I would have them in if you can, you don't want him getting a chill on top of what he's had already. Another thing is it could be from worms that are pulling him down, they very often cough and rattle with them so make sure your worming is up to date too (every four weeks for the first six months with something gentle like Strongid P or Panacur)
Good luck, let us know how he gets on.

christine48

Visit site
I'd have the vet check him again. He may need something to loosen the secretions or more antibiotics. get him out in the fresh air as much as possible if the weather is warm. My foal had a virus last year and it took a while to clear.

no_no_nanette

Visit site
Thanks memo - suspect its something like this, especially as so many seem to have had the snots, coughs and wheezes this year ... It isn't helped by the fact that his witch of a mum jumped a fence and did her tendon in ( again! - it was why she was originally put in foal!) and so they are having to be in at the moment, although there is a courtyard that they can wander about in all day to get fresh air. The vet is coming again on Monday to do the 14 day in-foal scan on the mare, so I'll also get her to check him out again whilst she's up, but really agree on antibiotics. Very reluctant to give him any more. Will also ask about worming - I thought that 3 months was too young? But will confirm with vet. Mare and foal are on shavings bed at the moment, but I'm researching shredded card - supposed to be even better than dust-extracted shavings and cheaper! Trying to do everything we can think of to cut down on any sources of irritation for his lungs, poor little chap. Fingers crossed, and thanks for the advice.