when are you planning on bringing in for the night?

Austen123

Visit site
When are you planning on bringing in for the night this year? i was hoping to wait until mid Oct, but i think this year i may start bringing in at the start of Oct as we have had such a dry spell and the grass hasnt grown as much as i wanted.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I had swapped mine around to be in at night to save my grazing, but then it got really hot in the day again :oops: so back out at night until the days are cooler.

LeneHorse

Visit site
Mine normally comes in early October but she was on box rest for a couple of weeks there so I decided just to put her straight into her winter routine. So she is currently out during the day and in at night.

sherry90

Visit site
I clipped last weekend and did it then. Means he can go out rugless in the day with it being so warm and not worrying about night time temps!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The Saturday before bonfire night, or 4 weeks before opening meet when we used to hunt.

Yes we usually bring in around Bonfire Night if the weather allows us to leave out until then. Last year it was very wet in the middle of September, so we brought them in and they didn't go back out again until March! Fortunately this year is much drier and we are planning to leave them out as much as possible with access to a field shelter that hasn't been available before. We shall see.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
I will leave mine out as long as possible .
The wet is what usually makes me have to stable at night .
It’s usually around bonfire night but I have had them out in December in a dry year .
I have masses of grass far, far too much atm .

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
My 2 have been in at night for a few weeks now. The grass was grow6well but has stopped now. One hates being out in winter weather so I'm hoping to save what grass I do have to tempt him to stay out longer. He seems to know when the clocks change then prefers to stay in.

Austen123

Visit site
thanks all. im giving her a new bit of grass every day with wedge of hay split in AM and PM. but she just seems to be hanging around the gate a lot ( poos mainly there) so am wondering if she's telling me she'd rather be spending some time in her stable. i will step up the hay to see if that settles her as hay is always gone AM and PM.

please note, she does have plenty of grass coverage and a little strip of new grass every night.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I put mine in for a couple of nights when it was wet and very windy in August, as there is no shelter from the prevailing wind. They are still out and will be until there is rain/very windy, etc.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I have tons of grass at the moment! Mine has just started coming in at night as we're having work done (my stable yard being built) and my livery's horse is in at night, so mine would stress as he would be fenced away from her.
I'm hoping he can go back out once the groundworks are done, and stay out until it starts getting wet.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’d really love to maybe not! I currently bring in during the day and I’d like to keep it at that. Land/ground allowing.
It would mean my riding horse is in and clean to ride after work and I can do things such as brush the mud off when it’s dry rather than always be in a mad rush

atropa

Visit site
Hopefully end of Oct/start of Nov but will depend on when my YO swaps us into winter fields. Currently still plenty of grass to go around. Did have them in a few nights last week when it lashed down though

meleeka

Visit site
I was hoping to wait until the ground is too wet but mine are already getting the grumps, despite having plenty to eat, so I will think about it from 1st October. I just hope it’s a drier winter than last year :(

oldie48

Visit site
Probably at the start of October. I have masses of grass ATM and I left the electric charger where it got trashed by the guy who does our hedging. Totally my fault so now I can't keep Fatty confined to a smaller area until I replace it. I am sooooo stoopid!

JoannaC

Visit site
Hopefully not until the New Year but weather dependant. I swap them around depending on the weather so they might come in for a few nights and then go back to out at night in during the day. I suddenly seem to have loads of grass so if it's not too wet they might stay out all Winter. Last year they came in at night for about six weeks in total but not all in one go.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
It depends on the weather. Year before last they were in at the end of October, last year the rain started early and didn’t stop so about the end of September I think.

I’m feeding hay day and night in the field now due to lack of grass growth this year but still saving on time and bedding. They prefer to be out meandering around and picking at what’s left in the field. So as long as it’s dry enough really.

When the rain starts and their summer fields become too boggy they’ll move to daily turn out on winter fields.

SEL

Visit site
When the forecast tells me it will be raining for the next however many months. Last winter it rained from October to April. Let’s all hope we don’t get a repeat. Land that is normally able to be used through winter wasn’t last year in many parts of the countryside.

^^^^ this. My arthritic one is having such an awesome summer out 24:7 that I'm praying for minimal rain this winter. Cold frosty mornings and snow are ok!

But I do bring in around fireworks due to idiots.

neddy man

Visit site
Why a set date? What if it’s really mild TIL December?
Before Nov 5th due to numerous bonfires/fireworks nearby, and also usually clipped by then, 4 weeks before hunting as they are clipped and fit and usually to frosty to be leaving out overnight even with good rugs on. Fit hunters don't want to be loosing condition due to being out on frosty nights, and we get a few of them in our area, other owners bring in like us before Nov 5 to avoid accidents, sadly a friend of ours died while trying to get his horses in that were distressed by fireworks.