When are you switching to winter grazing??

Blue-bear

Visit site
So have had a couple of the liveries 'mention' that there is now no grass in the summer fields and asking if they can move onto the grassy winter fields.
Im of the opinion that although they are grassy now, it really wont take them that long to eat it and we have got a long way to go till its even winter yet?!
When are you guys going onto winter grazing or is everyone on theres now and im just being precious about the nice grass?
confused.gif
crazy.gif

Thanksies

Mickeymoo

Visit site
Ours are on the winter grazing now. They go out at 7am and come in at 2pm so aren't out that long.

Yesterday I got them in at 12 as I was going out competing and they were both just standing sleeping when I drove up the farm drive. If the horses are out 24/7 then the grass will disappear quicker.

Katie__Connie

Visit site
My pony and his field buddy are out on winter grazing already cos our paddocks are bear and he was looking a bit skinny... But the field is big and theres only two ponios on there... plus we have lots of other fields to use if needed....

Depends how much winter grazing you've got i suppose...

Enfys

Visit site
The mares and youngsters are out on it now. I am hoping that they do get it eaten down before the snow comes, that could be 6 weeks, it could be 12. It'll come, and after that they won't see anything looking like grass again until April at the earliest.

ColourFan

Visit site
My summer pastures are getting low but are still way good enough to upkeep the mares and foals for at least another 2 to 3 weeks. I'm rotating 3 pastures at the moment so hopefully everything goes to plan.
We are trailer training a rather nervous colt with his mom and his favourite bucket of feed already on board. He is sold and I prefer them safely and confidently trailer trained before we go over to weaning.
And the weaning for the mum is done on the lean summer pastures so at the moment everybody stays put and are getting more feed and hay.
In any event we switch over to good winter pasture half November.

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
We havent moved ours yet, Our summer field hasnt all gone yet so holding off as long as possible. Only reason they will moved quicker is if the weather changes to much as we have a long spookie walk and as they go out 9 til 4-5 the darkness has an impact 2.

dwi

Visit site
Daisy went onto her winter grazing two weeks ago and is being strip grazed onto it because I need her to eat it off a bit before the field gets too wet. Hopefully by the time the field gets soggy se'll be on a nice big area so one bit won't get poached.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
I keep mine at home, and have just moved them on to the Autumn grazing field.
smile.gif

There is a lot of rich grass and clover so I am strip grazing them, and it should last till the end of the month, then they will go out in the winter field.

KarynK

Visit site
Mine went onto it last night but I am strip grazing it as there is a lot out there. Will probably have enough grass until mid December, then they will happily trash the lot till spring with add lib hay and haylage.