When did it become acceptable to allowdogs to run free across other peoples land?

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Two afternoons this week we have had other peoples dogs running through our sheep and horses, coming in over the walls and running riot! The first one was some variety of "long dog" which was chasing rabbit. I shouted to the owner to get it out of the field, and put it on a lead if she couldn't control the dog, only to be told "Oh shut up", while the dog continued to rampage through the field. Yesterday afternoon there was a chap walking two Dobies and a Spaniel on the land next to ours, next thing, in comes the spaniel, through the sheep, probably after rabbit, chap legs it away from our land whistling his teeth out! I wasn't quick enough on either occasion to catch the dog, but I just don't understand why people don't keep hold of their dogs if they can't stop them going where they shouldn't! Would they be ok with other peoples dogs going through their gardens? I am considering following them home an letting our Rotties play in their garden:D

bonny

Visit site
Sounds like both times they were dogs out on a walk who suddenly took after something, it happens, sounds like no harm was done and maybe the owners were embarrassed at their dogs ignoring them.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Sounds like both times they were dogs out on a walk who suddenly took after something, it happens, sounds like no harm was done and maybe the owners were embarrassed at their dogs ignoring them.
An apology would be a beter respons! surely? Dogs do get away from people, but if you cannot reliably recall your dog, then keep hold of it, do not let it in with sheep. Would you be ok with dogs running through your garden?

Snitch

Visit site
Erm, the owners were breaking the law. We have legislation about dogs worrying sheep for a reason!

bonny

Visit site
The way I read it the sheep weren’t worried, the op just seems to be annoyed about dogs on her land.

Clodagh

Visit site
I have had chickens killed here by people walking their dogs who 'suddenly took off after something'. Once I caught the dog and another time I ran up the footpath carrying two dead hens until I caught up with the owner. I got £20 both times, but that is not the point.
Why let dogs off lead if you are near houses or fenced land if you have no control?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I friend got mobbed by a group of dogs while surveying bats today, weighing measuring etc kit everywhere, people jumped up at and a totally non-apologetic owner when they finally caught up...

bonny

Visit site
No, of course not but I imagine just about every bodies dogs have taken off in their lives after something, if no harm occurred then is it really a big deal ?

Snitch

Visit site
The way I read it the sheep weren’t worried, the op just seems to be annoyed about dogs on her land.
OP clearly states there were sheep and horses present. But even if there were no animals, the OP is entitled to be annoyed about other people’s dogs running on his/her land, if he/she chooses to be. Not sure how anyone could think otherwise, tbh.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I get dogs in with my horses sometimes (worse at previous yard), and the owners often get snotty that their precious, out of control mutt gets chased out of the field at tooth-point by Daemon. They seem to think I should be apologising to them, because my horse is behaving like a horse in his own field, while their dog is out of control and trespassing on "my" land. It annoys me with the horses - it would be about a thousand times worse with sheep in there too.

Bonny's comments are, I presume, just standard trolling. Surely nobody can genuinely believe this is acceptable conduct...

bonny

Visit site
Sod being embarrassed; they’re breaking the law!
I get dogs in with my horses sometimes (worse at previous yard), and the owners often get snotty that their precious, out of control mutt gets chased out of the field at tooth-point by Daemon. They seem to think I should be apologising to them, because my horse is behaving like a horse in his own field, while their dog is out of control and trespassing on "my" land. It annoys me with the horses - it would be about a thousand times worse with sheep in there too.

Bonny's comments are, I presume, just standard trolling. Surely nobody can genuinely believe this is acceptable conduct...
i didn’t say it was ok, but I doubt anyone with dogs had never had them chase something and suddenly go deaf. No harm was done, to say it’s illegal is like saying you saw someone driving over 30 mph in a town, that’s illegal too !

JFTDWS

Visit site
I can honestly say that I have NEVER had a dog run off through a field of livestock, because I have never allowed a non-reliable dog to be unleashed near livestock.

I have had young dogs approach other people and dogs in confined park-type spaces because they was still learning manners, but I have NEVER done anything other than apologise profusely while retrieving my animal.

I maintain that to do otherwise is wildly irresponsible, both for the wellbeing of the livestock, and also for the dog which could be legally shot by a land owner (or, indeed, run out onto a road and cause and accident).

bonny

Visit site
I can honestly say that I have NEVER had a dog run off through a field of livestock, because I have never allowed a non-reliable dog to be unleashed near livestock.

I have had young dogs approach other people and dogs in confined park-type spaces because they was still learning manners, but I have NEVER done anything other than apologise profusely while retrieving my animal.

I maintain that to do otherwise is wildly irresponsible, both for the wellbeing of the livestock, and also for the dog which could be legally shot by a land owner (or, indeed, run out onto a road and cause and accident).
I agree but I also think sometimes things that you didn’t foresee happen, in this case no harm was caused apart from the op being annoyed.

Snitch

Visit site
i didn’t say it was ok, but I doubt anyone with dogs had never had them chase something and suddenly go deaf. No harm was done, to say it’s illegal is like saying you saw someone driving over 30 mph in a town, that’s illegal too !
I’ve never yet had a dog that has been given an opportunity to chase, especially near stock.
I mentioned the illegality as complacent people, like yourself, always seem to think it would never be their furry little darling doing such a thing (worrying, attacking or killing). Until it does!

bonny

Visit site
I’ve never yet had a dog that has had an opportunity to chase, especially near stock.
I mentioned the illegality as complacent people, like yourself, always seem to think it would never be their furry little darling doing such a thing. Until it does!
I dont have a furry little darling, I do have a dog though. Neither am I complacent but I am capable of seeing that sometimes things happen that weren’t planned and mostly as in this case, no harm occurs. We live on a small overcrowded island, there needs to be more tolerance of each other in my opinion. Which is totally different to dogs chasing sheep, which I never said was acceptable, I doubt anyone would ever say that !