When did you last smack your dog?

Clodagh

Visit site
Genuine interested question. I am surprised to see people advocating smacking a 9 week old pup, which is what, the equivalent of a 6 month old baby, especially across the face?
I honestly can’t remember when I last smacked a dog. I use my knee or leg to block forward momentum, at a gateway or whatever, which may be too much for some, but to actually raise my hand and hit them not for years and years.
Especially on the muzzle, is there a more sensitive spot?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Can't remember, never on the muzzle. If a nose gets too near my plate I might tap it very lightly, if waving it away hasn't worked but that is a very rare occurance any way. Even new brown dog has better manners than that. Rather than smacking a pup, it is the owner's responsibility to teach it acceptable behaviour.

Rokele55

Visit site
I smacked my terrier yesterday when she went for a n old Labrador who had the audacity to try and eat the same bit of sheep muck she wanted. She immediately let go of the old dog with no harm done and knew she had done wrong. An immediate and violent reaction perhaps but with the desired result. My bitch is in season and very hormonal but no excuse for attacking someone invading her space (She was on a lead)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I smacked my terrier yesterday when she went for a n old Labrador who had the audacity to try and eat the same bit of sheep muck she wanted. She immediately let go of the old dog with no harm done and knew she had done wrong. An immediate and violent reaction perhaps but with the desired result. My bitch is in season and very hormonal but no excuse for attacking someone invading her space (She was on a lead)

I think that is a very different scenario from smacking a 9 week old pup which hasn't yet been taught basic manners.

Smitty

Visit site
Ok, ,20 years ago. 2 rescue terriers fighting ,(50 or so fights over 2 days). Phoned for advice, it didn't work so muzzled both, sat with rolled up newspaper and let them get on with it. One wallop to both and that was end of problem.

So 2 dogs that had been returned twice each, were not and after a day or so were friends.

Donning tin hat and waiting for welfare call.

fiwen30

Visit site
Maybe twice, in his 11.5 years. I don’t remember the exact circumstances, the lead up, or why it happened; but I do remember that each time it was a mindless, instinctive, split second reaction, driven by my fear of needing to instantly stop whatever was going on at the time. Both times, it was an open hand on his bum.

I’m not proud of it, I remember instantly regretting each time, and I’m sure that whatever it was that had been going on which needed to STOP should have and could have trained in other ways.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I don't think I have ever smacked her I did once tip her out of her bed and chase her out the door once years ago when she growled at me but that is about the worst I have ever done.

silv

Visit site
Don't think I have needed to in the 40 years of dog owning, however just recently my bitch went to have a totally unprovoked attack on a smaller dog when we were out walking. something she has never done before, so she got smacked and shown I was not happy. but apart from that never.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Ok, ,20 years ago. 2 rescue terriers fighting ,(50 or so fights over 2 days). Phoned for advice, it didn't work so muzzled both, sat with rolled up newspaper and let them get on with it. One wallop to both and that was end of problem.

So 2 dogs that had been returned twice each, were not and after a day or so were friends.

Donning tin hat and waiting for welfare call.[/QUOTE

I think an experienced owner/fosterer taking the decision to stop anti-social and possibly dangerous behaviour is very different from someone on a forum recommending that an owner smack a 9 wk old pup.

SAujla

Visit site
Never have and never will. It would break me if she feared me or stopped trusting me. Its like walking a dog on a flexi lead instead if teaching them to walk nicely. Its easier to smack a dog into obedience than it is teaching them how to be a part of your family

Annette4

Visit site
Never with a puppy, the only time I cab think that I've hit a dog was when Tia (American Bulldog x rotti) attacked Jack (corgi) while he was sleeping and she wouldn't let go (she was pts the next day and large brain tumour found) but otherwise I've never hit a dog. I have used my body to block etc though when needed to stop them darting out the front door etc.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I wouldn't smack a nine week old puppy, no.

Any time I've had to get physical with a dog it's been a split second reaction to prevent harm to self or dog or others, when I've felt I've not had any other option to flat out stop a situation. No dogs' heads have fallen off.
But generally, as mentioned, it's usually using my body or a leash correction.

I generally deal with high drive working dogs who won't wilt if they get a physical correction, but they will retaliate if they feel the correction is unfair and using a soft, fleshy part of your anatomy, which is an essential part of being able to do most jobs, to try to reprimand a large predatory animal with 42 teeth, in a high state of arousal, is pretty stupid IMO.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
When she had the neighbours cat in her mouth ?. Other than that, never

When she was about to eat cat poop, and as a spaneil had engaged the deafness option. I had another on the lead and a short sharp bum smack and she shot her head up and listened to me then.

I never advocate smacking, but in some circumstances having a short sharp sting interups the hyper focus. But it depends on the dog.

Never a puppy, nose flick yes when they are trying to be bitey but not a smack.

P3LH

Visit site
I have occasionally smacked on the bum if I feel the dog is ignoring me/taking the pi**.I would never smack a pup though have sometimes giving a little shake of the scruff if they have got a over the top with biting or similar.

This.

And I have a three year old bitch here who as a small puppy would have, and did, laugh in the face of anyone who thought yelping or ignore tactic would work. And as an adult would have been a dog that very possibly had an asbo, or even potentially one who’s actions wound up with her being PTS, had we pursued only those methods. But she was like that from the whelping box so is different to many I guess. Not a bad temperament - actually one of the most loving and ‘kind’ dogs I’ve met, just very very strong willed/driven.

Jenko109

Visit site
My late whippet only received one smack. I sat down on the sofa with a plate of food and she galloped across the sofa and literally launched at me/the plate. She was only young, admittedly a puppy, however it wasn't a planned smack, more a reaction to avoid her landing straight on top of me!