When do horses lose their winter woollies?

Micky

Visit site
As the title really, just curious as mine has cushings, I’ve forgotten when a woolly mammoth becomes a shiny unicorn! Most round here clip so still don’t get a true picture of when they are rid of their woollies....

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I really think it depends on the horse a bit, as well as how & where they are kept. But my unclipped oldies are all sleek and summery now :)

Micky

Visit site
Thanks milliepops..I was truly wondering, when youve had a horse with cushings for so long, you forget and i wondered if the coat was completely through by say June, you’ve just answered my query..

ITPersonnage

Visit site
Also depends if/how they are groomed :) Some of the other liveries have a "hands off" attitude to grooming so their ponies still have fluffy coats...

Joyous70

Visit site
My girl was hunter clipped this winter, so her saddle pad and leg lines started to disappear mid to late May, all shiny and sleek now :)

meleeka

Visit site
It also depends what sort of condition they’re in. There’s still some coloured
cob babies round here with full winter coats. They will have had a hard winter and are probably skin and bone under the coat.

SEL

Visit site
It should be in relation to daylight so given we're coming up to the longest day of the year everyone should have shed out by now.

Mr M is a bay roan and I can still pick bits of his winter fluff off under his neck, but the rest of him was a beautiful bay until about a week ago when I started to spot tiny flecks of white coming through. We will get more flecks of white until about October when he will be a completely different colour and then the outer brown coat (the really dense one) comes through. My mid December he will be fully kitted out for an arctic winter. Coat change is more obvious with him than any horse I've ever owned and I find it fascinating!

SpotsandBays

Visit site
My riding horse has fully shed out, my yearling still has a little baby fuzz on his back but otherwise mostly gone. My two oldies with cushings I clip, as with that heat the other week were both very warm.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Mine only seems to have his summer coat for about a month every year, although most of the winter coat has now gone. Won't be long before he starts growing his winter woollies again... :(

conniegirl

Visit site
Mine is beautifully sleek and summery on his body and 3 of his legs, but he is stubbornly clinging to the remanants of his winter coat on one hind leg! its a bit bizarre!