When do you back your horses? Poll.

Could I make any improvments? (please list in ur comments)

• Total voters

Frazer

Visit site
Always spring, or winter! I suppose it depends on your plans really, if you want to get out and about in the summer, the best time would be spring. Whereas if your going hunting it would be different. But mine have always been spring (When wanting to go out in the summer) Or winter, ready for the spring, or to be turned away for the spring. Autumn I find is a horrible time to back a horse, and same with the summer!

lalalalala

Visit site
Although don't back/break myself yet I would back in summer, then turn away over the winter to allow them to grow and mature, ready to be broken in properly the next spring/summer.

Irishcobs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
backed in autumn and turned away for the winter. Re started in the late spring when the weather is nicer for everyone . M.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto

Fairynuff

Visit site
I dont think turning away is a stupid idea when youve just backed a 3 year old .I dont like to do anymore than back them and after being turned away for the winter they come back in a bit more mature and ready to accept more physically. Three year olds are usually still growing and in my opinion shouldnt be rushed. Everyone does it differently. Mairi.
smile.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
I have backed Chancer late autumn at 2 1/2 and plan to slowly slowly ride him over the winter and the plan is to start little hacks in the spring and summer - next winter I plan to start a little schooling at 3 1/2 so he will maybe be ready for a little under saddle showing the following year.

Don't plan to turn away unless he looks like he needs it as he is not on an intensive backing method.

spaniel

Visit site
tbh I think it depends entirely on the horse, if they are ready it doesnt matter what time of year it is.

In my ideal world I like them to start in work late summer early autumn as I think it puts less pressure on the rider and gives plenty of time for the basics before hacking out starts in the spring.

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think turning away is a stupid idea when youve just backed a 3 year old .

[/ QUOTE ] Does it not make more sence to wait till there mature then teach them slowly... rather then a crash course.. .winter off.... and bring them back again...
crazy.gif

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Who said anything about a crash course?
However much handling is done previously, and however much you faff about with things, backing a horse is mentally and physically draining for it.
If someone chooses to give a horse time off to strengthen up what is stupid about that? A lot of horses are brought on a lot for the break they have after a bit of work.
Horses are intelligent animals, they dont forget things easily. Once they are taught, as long as they dont have bad experiences, it is very easy to bring them back up to the same level even after a year off.
In my experience, I rarely find when bringing them back into work, horses need more than a few days to remember all that has been taught previously.
To call someone elses preference 'stupid' is misinformed, ignorant and downright rude.

lalalalala

Visit site
Well backing, in my opinion, starts them off.

They are then turned away to mature, both physically and mentally, until they are ready to be broken.

I also agree that the age when a horse is ready for breaking will vary - for example those who are more "full of themselves" can be broken earlier, whereas those slow developers need to be given more time
smile.gif

lalalalala

Visit site
I suppose everyone has there own opinion on it, and everyone does things differently.

Take ideas from everyone and be open to new ideas, thats how you will get the best methods
smile.gif

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
If we had to think through every word we wrote, and not call things loosey.... what britians coming to when u can't say things freely in case of hurting... Any how i've taken it in... but i think people relised i ment to harm by it just a describing word in my vocab!

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Take ideas from everyone and be open to new ideas, thats how you will get the best methods

[/ QUOTE ] So true take new, old and every thing and come out with the best results!

MillionDollar

Visit site
I always back in the spring.

It really depends on the individual horse how you back and break them. With one of our youngsters he thrived on being worked and then turned away, he just grew up when he was turned away and matured. Others though have thrived on working and not being turned away.

Tia

Visit site
I always back mine in winter by the way. It's the only part of the year that I have the time for consistency.

Tia

Visit site
I don't turn mine away, but I understand why others do.

Well I like to work with mine in winter as I don't have so many other commitments. It doesn't make any difference what time of year people do anything....I just wondered; hope that's okay.

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
I backed Axel at the end of May 2005 he was a 3 yr old.
I rode him lightly through the summer as well as showing him in-hand and did lots of long reining and lunging.
I last rode him on the 18th of september 05 which is when I fell off him and broke my leg
frown.gif
so he was turned away until the new year and I sat on him again on 1st january this year.
He has more or less been in full work ever since although I didn't really get going properly until about April this year.

Sam x