When do you start bringing in at night?

Sparklepony

Visit site
If you bring in at all, when do you start bringing in at night?

My wimpy tb has all ready given up on 24/7 turnout? Meaning that my other has o come in too! They have a huge field with big trees for shelter but I think tb 1 just gets tired of being out!
There goes money saving idea of not bringing in until it gets below 0!!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We keep them out as long as possible, one year it was 18th Dec when we brought them in for the first time but last year and the year before they had to come in, in September because the weather was so wet and windy and we are very exposed. We like to keep them out for Bonfire Night if poss but we now have one horse who panics when the lights start flashing, although she doesn't give a toss about the bangs!

I wouldn't be bringing anything in tonight, unless it came in every night, it's very warm here - 23 degrees atm.

Last edited:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Aim for after bonfire night as i prefer him out for fireworks.
Usually happens unless we have a very odd October.

Same for us, apart from our bonfire is halloween. We have a big bonfire at the yard and the horses stay out at night for that. Until then they are in during the day.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Sometime after clocks change - usally when I cant see at one end of the day after work to poo-pick :)
(so about the 2nd or 3rd week in Nov).

Mine are both able to stay out, however my ankle/back are not good in wet rutted fields, so I refer them in overnight then :)

TallyHo123

Visit site
My yard states they all have to be in by November 5th. Mine usually ends up coming in the last few weeks of October :) Am I the only one who can't wait for the winter? It's my favourite time of the year

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Last winter they came in at night for the two weeks that we had 18 inches of snow. As soon as it melted they went back to being out 24/7 as luckily the field drains really well.

ellie11987

Visit site
Beginning of October. Not my choice, they have to come in overnight when we move into the winter field but suits us just fine :)

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I leave mine out as long as the ground isn't really icy and dangerous or there are no high winds / blizzards. They are very much wrapped up to the ears in the best and warmest rugs though :eek: and have a few hay nets dotted around the fields. Last year they only came in for flooding.

Sparklepony

Visit site
Good point someone made re midges! Maybe that's why he's so urgggghhh get me in now all the time!
Hopefully when it cools down they can go bk out again, luckily I have huge (old foaling box) stables that stay very cool!

Darcydoo

Visit site
If you bring in at all, when do you start bringing in at night?

My wimpy tb has all ready given up on 24/7 turnout? Meaning that my other has o come in too! They have a huge field with big trees for shelter but I think tb 1 just gets tired of being out!
There goes money saving idea of not bringing in until it gets below 0!!
Oh thank god mines not the only.one for weeks now she's been harassing people to bring her in, I've never known a horse like to be in so much and is always in bed. Lazy mare.

L&M

Visit site
I tend to leave mine out until after Hoys - so that I can have a good day out and not worry about getting horses in!

They then are usually in from the about the second week of Oct, but this is more to make the grass last rather than the daylight hours.

Dowjones

Visit site
It will depend on the weather, my paddocks have terrible drainage so will probably be in the next two or three weeks at this rate :(

Farcical1

Visit site
Mine usually come in around end September, beginning of October but the weather usually dictates when. They're all a bit wimpy and would prefer to be in when it's wet and windy.
When they're all hanging round the gate at the end of the day, looking pathetic, then I usually give in and bring in.

Rose Folly

Visit site
Never! But before I was converted!! usually at the end of October - clock change time. Now they are out 24/7 (but with loads of shelter, man-made and otherwise). They can have haylage if they wish it but never start eating it till start of December. But two good feeds a day and really good range of rugs. I couldn't wish for a happier, healthier crew (ranging from TB to mini Shetlands). (NB Only one is mine, so not just blowing my own trumpet...)

soulfull

Visit site
Will no doubt be dictated by wet weathe like the last couple of years!
I don't mind the cold so much but field gets trashed

3Beasties

Visit site
To those of you who don't bring in till later on in the year - do you clip?

Mine usually come in when the clocks change, they are usually clipped around that time too, but I have more grazing this year so want to leave them out for as long as possible, I would need to clip before they're in at night though....

lurcherlu

Visit site
We used to trace clip our mare when he lived out extra rugs etc when needed and ad lib hay. Breeze lived out last winter as we had no table, the winter before that I bought er in a couple times a week to increase her handling. Usually we go by October half term and chuck them back out at Easter. Breeze however loves her stable at mum and is in by night, mum let's her out at sunrise and the bloody thing just stands in the Shetlands stable unil. Gt there to ride..... Odd horse 6 weeks go wouldn't stable alone, tonight ave her 3 horse extra turnout and she was dying to Come n

miss_c

Visit site
I aim to keep them out at least until the October half term, and ideally until after Bonfire night. However last year they came in midSeptember due to all the rain and stayed in until May, a horribly long winter. :( Fingers crossed this year is better!