When do you start bringing in on a night?

melissa1971

Visit site
When do you start bringing in over night? I have six and its a bit of a mix 2 hopefully will stay out 24/7 2 will stay out till it gets really bad then I have one oldie who has started coming in now she is feeling the wind and starting to drop weight so my daughters pony comes in too to keep her company.
When do you all start bringing in?

pansy

Visit site
We normally swop over when the clocks change, but due to other reasons they are already in overnight -they all seem happy enough x

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Depends on the ground really... If its still good then they stay out as long as poss here but when have ever had good ground eh!? Last year it was December but year before they were out ALL winter which was bliss!!!

HashRouge

Visit site
If we stay where we are (depends on my job situation!) then hopefully she'll be out all winter, apart from nights where it is really bad (crazy blizzards and the like).

Goldenstar

Visit site
Always by bonfire night , they are still out now but we are hunting 2/3 days a week so it really quite hard work having them out as it was a 4.45 start this morning to catch them so I am debating what to do.

L&M

Visit site
I bring ours in once the summer paddocks have run out of grass, and start to mark if wet.

They are usually in by the time the clocks change.

Megibo

Visit site
Usually they come in when the clocks change but baby horse shot up and lost a lot of weight so she needed to come in conserve energy/eat! So my mare came in with her for ease of life.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I have 5 and the 2 oldies are already in at night and grateful for it. I shall bring in my 4 yr old at the end of October and then my 2 geldings will hopefully stay out til Christmas as they have a great field shelter - weather dependent of course and then in at night. I am not looking forward to mucking out 5:eek: I have changed to wood pellets which is proving quick to muck out for 2.

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
I think mine will start coming in tonight, we are on heavy clay and now we've had some rain they will churn the paddocks up so they will come off the summer paddock which they are usually on at night and onto the winter one. Can't complain though as it's been a good summer and I can start using some of my new rugs too, is it sad that I am excited about that!?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Depending on ground conditions, mine are out at least till the weekend after bonfire night.
Possibly in for the odd night in October for respite if weather suddenly is grim, otherwise they stay out till I am fed up with doing them in the dark both ends of the day - and also till fireworks have eased up :)

xgemmax

Visit site
Usually try and keep them out 24/7 until middle of November! Depends how wet the fields get though, if they're really boggy then obv bring them in before that as don't like them standing knee deep in mud!