When do you swap your horses round

11bluewolf

Visit site
Usually would have swapped my mare around by now but the weather hasn't been great, when do you usually start turning horses out at night and in during the day?

11bluewolf

Visit site
I just haven't bothered as flies haven't been bad but they are starting now so will probably this week! they would definitely
be fine i know

BSL

Visit site
First time ever, ive had my bigger ones out at night. Started about 3 wks ago. I noticed their stables were getting really stinky, where it was getting light early and they were getting restless. They are now out from 5pm ish to 5am ish. Fatties will go out later when grass has burnt off a bit. Too lush at the moment. They have 4 hours in the morning, then back onto small dirt paddock. Never known mine so content :).

LeannePip

Visit site
When the grounds dry enough not to get trashed and we don't get so much rain.

We turned around 3 weeks ago and they are all happy out and have been rules most of the time apart from the odd night of heavy rain

Ella19

Visit site
We're on sand, ours turned around 3 weeks ago. I've just swapped my mare back to in at night though as the grass is too sugary and has upset her gut again.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Swapped just over 2 weeks ago. We don't move onto the summer fields until the ground is dry enough not to trash them and I give them a few days building up the amount of grass as it's a big change from the winter fields which have nothing then. 2 Tbs unrugged, both have picked up a bit of weight since the change. I like this time when I can leave them naked, once the horseflies arrive, I will have to put fly rugs on.