When horsey people go mad!

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
The hat or no hat post got me thinking and when I bumped into an acquaintance of mine today I wondered how many stories you all had about so-called experienced horse people and the bonkers things they get up to.

This person I bumped into today is an AI with years of horse owning and riding behind her. She teaches and has backed horses for other people as well as doing her own.

She's just got a new horse (arrived Tuesday) that though broken to drive has never been ridden, so she's backing it herself. Nothing strange about that... you'd think...

When I bumped into her she was leading her other horse, with her teenage daughter leading the new unbacked horse along the bottom road in our village. Again seems okay - the road is a cul-de-sac and not very busy.

Said new horse is tacked up, saddle and bridle. This person then told me her daughter was about to get on it for the first time. 'Here?' I asked, incredulously considering we were on the road in the middle of the village. She proceeded to tell me that she always backed horses in this particular place because it's at the bottom of a hill so if anything happened the horse couldn't get very far as it would get tired trying to gallop up the steep hill. As I rode off I glanced back to see her teenage daughter preparing to get on this unbacked horse from the ground, whilst Mum was holding both horses....
shocked.gif

I should add that they have a fully fenced outdoor school at their yard so you would think if you were going to back a horse anywhere that would be the most sensible place.

Would any of you lot back a horse on a road?
What other mad things have you witnessed/heard about from so-called experienced horse people?

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Common sense is not common! Have seen 'experienced' horse people tie horses to barn doors, post and rail, gates. Ive even seen one girl lead her horse to the field through her 4x4 window! Adults riding bare back, no hat (when YO not around), pushing baby in pushchair while leading new cob in hand. People do the most dangerous things.

Stella

Visit site
Yes, that is crazy
crazy.gif

As I drove home from work today, I noticed a young horse being led in a headcoller (no tack of any kind) along the hard shoulder on the opposite side of the A19 (one of those roads that might as well be a motorway). There was heavy traffic and I assumed that the handler was trying to expose it to traffic (although I wouldn't be suprised if it was happening because it was the quickest way from A to B!). The handler did not of course have the foresight to lead on the right side of the horse. The horse had planted itself and he was trying to coax it to move. They were a long way from the exit they must have come on
shocked.gif

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Adults riding bare back

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with that?
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Nothing is wrong with that. I break all my youngsters bareback and I spend at least a third of every year riding bareback.

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Adults riding bare back

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with that?
confused.gif

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think she was on about bareback AND no hat!!

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Common sense is not common!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so very true!!

[ QUOTE ]
Ive even seen one girl lead her horse to the field through her 4x4 window!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well we used to do this with the teaser stallions going from barn to barn in Kentucky. When there are 2 divisions of mares (approx 120 head) to tease before 9am and they are spread out in barns over about 500acres, there isn't really much choice!

RunToEarth

Visit site
Each to their own. Us horsey folk do some stupid things, often pass it on to other people, my mother and father pass on the most ridiculous habits, I have picked up stupid trates from bek and Rob, some are deathly, and some work...