When is it too late to clip?

Roxi

New User
Visit site
Can any one tell me when it is too late to clip my horse? He is working up quite a sweat as his clip has regrown a lot of hair. I don't want to spoil his summer coat though.

albeg

Visit site
Sorry to hijack the thread! Would it be ok to clip a horse if he hasn't previously been clipped? He's quite woolly and sweating up a lot when worked

My lad had his first clip of the winter about 2 weeks ago now, so I'd say yeah if he's sweating.

CatStew

Visit site
Thank you! I've been reluctant to clip him because he's living out at the mo due to there being no spare stables, but one is coming available at the end of the month so was debating clipping him

albeg

Visit site
Thank you! I've been reluctant to clip him because he's living out at the mo due to there being no spare stables, but one is coming available at the end of the month so was debating clipping him

If you've a good rug, you don't need to worry too much about him living out, just don't take off too much hair, and make sure he has enough forage. (My connie wintered out with a blanket clip the first winter I had him, and was out for 12 hours+ fully clipped the following year, and didn't suffer, and currently is fully clipped, out about 10/11 hours, in a MW)