When loans ...

Goldenstar

Visit site
He does, he’s such a beautiful horse the first time I saw him he actually took my breath away however he does not like to jump or get sweaty he likes to hack about looking at the scenery , and look majestic under an oak tree behind a haha in park with a Georgian house behind which is want he spends most of his time doing .
He loves his loan job .

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Max is living his best life on his loan home too. I am regulalry sent photos and video of him playing, mutually grooming, munching hay,grazing, snoozing in the sun, rolling and generally looking healthy and happy. They CAN work!

91074417_253210542504300_2253990178286731264_n.jpg

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
A few years ago now, but i had my horse out on loan for a year and it was a fabulous arrangement. She was devastated and i was guilt ridden when i took him back off loan at the end of the year. We stayed in contact and when she was horse hunting a year or so later and i had ummed and ahhed about selling him for long enough, it was an absolute no brainer that he went to her. They are made for each other and we regularly stay in contact :) Not all loans end in disaster!

Lovely post OP :)

PurBee

Visit site
Max is living his best life on his loan home too. I am regulalry sent photos and video of him playing, mutually grooming, munching hay,grazing, snoozing in the sun, rolling and generally looking healthy and happy. They CAN work!

91074417_253210542504300_2253990178286731264_n.jpg
I was wondering yesterday why do horses always seem to prefer to roll close to electric fencing?
My mare and gelding were on a new piece of ground yesterday and rolled in every corner they could find, then the mare caught the tight rope fenceline with her foot , shot up and ran...broken fence post within first 15 mins of being in there! ?

J&S

Visit site
I put my NF pony on loan when I first moved to Devon, just brought the horse. She was with a family who I knew well, she was truly appreciated and I received photos and always visited her when I went back to the Forest. After about 18 months I asked to have her back as my young step daughter was showing great interest in riding. We all stayed friends and news of the pony was sent to them until the day she died. I am pleased others have had good experiences also.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Brilliant.

He's a beauty, you must have been gutted when he didn't want to do the job you bought him for!

Not really I had a lot of fun with him he’s an hilarious quirky horse he so beautiful that I could just have kept him to look at .
The show ring would have suited him he’s a lovely individual and loved all the turn out stuff but I was not interested in showing .
He‘s perfect where he is doing what he likes .
Hes always very fat now , he lives out all year rugged of course in winter .
I have an empty stable just in case .

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
The madam in my avatar was a loan and it was the best 9 years of ponies in the world. Lost her in 2009.

My daughter's second pony was possibly even trickier than Polly - no, DEFINITELY trickier but the girl who has had HER on loan for ummmm, must be 11 years, won't give her back!

The damned thing is treated like the queen and whilst these people really WERE complete novice owners and Merry is a handful and very opinionated, they took it very slowly and the outcome has been a wonderful experience for us all. Thinking of the 'my daughter's pony threw her thread, Merry ditched her new potential person the day she took her home. She wasn't sent back in disgrace, just put on the lead-rein for a while.

My best boy is on loan to me. He is my world.

I am so grateful to loaning. Allows loved family members to have useful new lives whilst still being family.

KEK

Visit site
My husband's standy mare is on loan to us. He absolutely adores her. She's 21 and he hacks her once/fortnight (if I am lucky I get to ride her once/fortnight as well as she is the best to hack! Walks FORWARD, incredible smooth canter). Since we've had her she's had surgery at the uni for a trapped epiglottis and had all sorts bought for her. We treat her with as much love and care as my Connie, and are very grateful to have her. They definitely can work.

JJS

Visit site
My first horse Alice and our lovely Six both started out as loans. They gave me some of my happiest horsey years and were never loved less or treated differently to the horses I own now. Alice was with me until we lost her back in 2014 and Six is still here at 28. I don’t think you’re any more likely to get a bad loaner than you are a bad owner.

atropa

Visit site
Lovely post.

My beautiful ISH is currently out on loan to her previous sharer, and has been for 14 months. I know she is treated like a princess and probably has loved being an 'only horse'. She's coming back to me very soon and I felt absolutely rotten telling loaner I wanted her back.