When oh when will it stop raining :-(

TicTac

Visit site
I'm certainly not alone with my wishes for this awful weather to go away and give us all a break. My poor horses seem very subdued and as fed up with all this rain as we are.

I have a friend who lives in Germany and she is moaning about the heat they are experiencing at the moment!

Surely it has to end soon or we are never going to have a summer at this rate :-(

maisie06

Visit site
Will probs be like 2008 and not stop raining all summer, we seem to be having the same weather pattern as back then with the scorching march and the non stop rain april onwards...

Erzie

Visit site
Don't worry, it's coming! We had the same terrible weather here, in Brittany (and in France in general), but since tuesday, it has been sunny, at last! :)

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
i dont want it to stop, we desperatrly need it.
the more that falls the more chance of grass & crops growing & the less chance of massive costs for hay/straw/feed come the end of the year.

Not necessarily true I'm afraid. The enormous amount of rain has brought the grass on a bit too quickly and it will go to see quickly making dusty hay. The rain also means that farmers can't get on the fields to plant and fertilise. The weather's never right!

On a lighter note, it looks like it might be a dry weekend in Bedfordshire, although there's plenty of time for that to change!

TicTac

Visit site
the more that falls the more chance of grass & crops growing & the less chance of massive costs for hay/straw/feed come the end of the year.

I think moderation is the key. At the moment if it keeps on like this, we wont have any crops let alone hay and straw as everything will be submerged!

Are you high up on a hill in your own sun spot? My paddocks are absolutely sodden and at this rate the grass wont have a chance to survive if we dont get some kind of a let up soon. I have to turn my horses out for at least a few hours a day which doesn't exactly help either.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I left my horses out last night as BBC told me it wasn't going to be too bad.Poor creatures are practically underwater!

Have hayed and put on extra rugs to get them through the day and then they'll have to come in again or I'll be in trouble for trashing the field.

My stable roof leaks at the back though and it floods from the front so I just burn through bedding if they're in when it's raining :rolleyes:

TicTac

Visit site
Having done the lottery for years in the hope of winning loads of money to change my life, and entered various other competions to win something nice, I have finally won something, and do you know what it is? A water Butt!!!!!

Have to say though it will come in handy in this god foresaken weather to put outside my stables to catch water from the leaking guttering.

Niddlynoo

Visit site
Couldn't get to my horses today, all roads into village under a couple of foot of water. I'm on crutches so can't walk to them either. They are out with loads of grass, shelter etc so they should be fine until I can get up later :(

Bertolie

Visit site

At this moment in time, I am not worried about the possibility of massive costs for hay at the end of the year - I am more concerned about the massive amount I am spending on hay at the moment! I have no grass, my paddock has completely turned to mud, and I am having to feed ad lib hay and getting through a large rectangular bale a week :mad:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Its been either blowing a hooley and/or tiddling down with rain here for the past three weeks; yesterday was GORGEOUS, we actually saw that funny thing called the "sun"!!!

Now this morning its back to the wet stuff again .......... but at least the wind has dropped so the leccy fencing will at least have a chance of staying upright and won't be half way across the field again :(

How to make the rain stop????? Best thing mebbe to order some wet weather gear ...... I'm gonna go on to E-Bay and order some waterproof ride-on saddle covers for a start - they're absolutely invaluable when its tipping down and you need to ride out without the hassle of soaking wet saddles when you get back - both of mine have worn out so need replacement; plus I've got a fab Aerborn waterproof quarter sheet which is another of those items which you don't know how you managed without; horsey arrives home all snug and nice dry bum to boot. Can't think of any more wet-weather gear I need at present, BUT if everyone out there orders it, then hey/sods law, that just might make the sun shine again???

Worth a go??

Spanish Eyes

Visit site
We had a gorgeous day here in cornwall yesterday, and today it is thick grey cloud.........BUT NO RAIN!!!! Hurrah!

My horses live out 24/7, and are currently in the small muddy paddock to stop them completely trashing the bigger field. We have no grass, and the hay is rapidly disappearing!

Feeling like almost giving up on summer this year - global warming seems to mean that we just have cold and wet weather all year round!

lhotse

Visit site
I actually felt like crying this morning, haven't ridden for nearly two weeks as the weather has been so shite, the lane is completely flooded and my new horse is only just getting confident with small puddles. The paddocks are trashed, although I can move them onto a different part of the field when (if) it dries out. I waited until the spring to buy my new horse as I wanted the easier times to get used to her, yet we are having the worst weather I can remember for 20 years. I can't even recall the last time a winter was this bad, let alone a spring!! My welsh pony goes out in the field and yells to come back in all morning as she hates the wet/mud, and my shetland is in danger of being swallowed up by the impending bog!

AngieandBen

Visit site
Just come off the phone to my Husband who is at work in Austria, he is sitting outside having a coffee with a t shirt on :( its about 25 degrees there.

Its chucking it down here in Leics, I think my ponies are going to have to stay in as the field is like a lake in places.

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
My lovely 6 foot bale of hay that I had delivered 2 1/2 weeks ago, which was supposed to last me 2 months, has gone all mouldy even with it on pallets and covered with a tarp (I put buckets underneath the tarp to create extra space and let it air out) due to the unrelenting rain and moisture condensing underneath. Can't ride either as the wood chips in the school get slippery when wet and can't go out on a hack as the bridleway is blocked from the swollen ford river.

All my friends in Canada and the US are all bragging on their FB pages how hot it is where they are!! Tempted to move back to Canada now....

Always Henesy

Visit site
I am sick of it. We have 3 horses on 4 acres (summer field) - it is a slippery muddy bog with NO grass. The grass just can't grow under puddles and running water. I am putting a bale/sometimes 2 bales of hay out every day just to give the horses some forage. This is mental.....there should be masses of lush summer grazing - not a clay bath.

Have bought them in AGAIN for the night just to give them a break from huddling around the hay rack under the trees and let them have a little lie down.

Just call me mushroom...

Alec Swan

Visit site
By all accounts we've got this until the end of May, and no, I'm not joking. I am sick to the back teeth, with mud.

Emigration, that's the answer. Anyone fancy running away?

Alec.

(ps I'm serious).a

tubby1

Visit site
Feel really sorry for all you wet folk. Never thought I'd say this but you want to consider moving to Scotland it actually sunny here. Mind you this is probably our summer:)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Yes, its unusual for us to be dry when everywhere else is soaking, but its been lovely and sunny today, and our fields have dried out quite a lot. I still think the local show that has not cancelled at the weekend is optimistic!

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
Wholeheartedly agree - keep checking the forecast every night and it says rain for the next two weeks! My field is sodden, we have three new (unwanted) ponds. Baby pony has lost some condition from where he's gone from a nice warm stable to living out in a soggy field (mistakenly thought he'd handle the change well not expecting this ridiculous weather). He's getting fed now so hopefully that will put him right, don't want to rug him unless I absolutely have to but I will if this weather carries on!

hessy12

Visit site
I am happy for lots of rain.
After the 3 driest winters in a row, we NEED it! Norfolk is so, so dry. Also the nice rain softens the ground for nice canters, and means the swallows can build their nests.

Are you lot all fair weather riders?!!! There are surely more important things to moan about than a bit of rain? Really!!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
At this moment in time, I am not worried about the possibility of massive costs for hay at the end of the year - I am more concerned about the massive amount I am spending on hay at the moment! I have no grass, my paddock has completely turned to mud, and I am having to feed ad lib hay and getting through a large rectangular bale a week :mad:

Same here. Spent £500 on the paddocks and now I can't use them. I am turning out in 3 hour shifts in the all weather and feeding oodles of haylage. Will have to get a whole new £2000 load instead of waiting until autumn! :mad:

The ten day weather forecast says a dry weekend but then back to the rain. :(