When the time comes be prepared!

popsdosh

Visit site
I am hoping that Admin may consider this worthy of a sticky?

Its all about finding the most economical way to say goodbye to your equine friend at the end.
Having recently heard all sorts of horror stories of prices some people are quoted I thought it was time to put the owner in control before it becomes a panic.
Below is a link to the NFSCO which is a scheme originally set up for farm animals but they have an equine scheme as well.
Basically you join which is free! then you have access to a list of collectors who cover your area along with their pricing for a range of services from cremation to straight forward PTS and disposal. That way on line you have transparent access to what you need to know to make the right decisions. They even invoice at the end of the month for direct debit payments.

http://www.nfsco.co.uk/how-to-join.php

An example of pricing is my local collector charges £90 for under 14.2 and £150 for over 14.2 which includes PTS and disposal. Most offer out of hours emergency and roadside assistance as well. Also they will collect animals PTS by the Vet and save you their horrendous disposal charges.

Damnation

Visit site
Just signed up, fantastic post. You can never be too prepared for this and it may just take the sting out of what is otherwise a very sad and anxious time.

paddi22

Visit site
great idea.

As anothe roption, I took two to the hunt to pts recently and it was very painless and quick. They were very gentle and professional and i was glad i did it that way. One was a very stressy, clingy tb who would have been very stressed unloading in a strange yard with strange people. It was hard to build myself up to do, but i was glad i was with him and leading him out of the box as he didn't think anything was amiss. A friend held him when they were doing the deed and drove my box home, but I had been through a lot with him and felt it was my duty to be there with him at the end and to see he was ok. I had always gone the vet route with other horses but was very impressed with how quick it was as a method of putting to sleep and in future id do the same with my other horses.

popsdosh

Visit site
great idea.

As anothe roption, I took two to the hunt to pts recently and it was very painless and quick. They were very gentle and professional and i was glad i did it that way. One was a very stressy, clingy tb who would have been very stressed unloading in a strange yard with strange people. It was hard to build myself up to do, but i was glad i was with him and leading him out of the box as he didn't think anything was amiss. A friend held him when they were doing the deed and drove my box home, but I had been through a lot with him and felt it was my duty to be there with him at the end and to see he was ok. I had always gone the vet route with other horses but was very impressed with how quick it was as a method of putting to sleep and in future id do the same with my other horses.

Indeed they do offer a great Service !

Asha

Visit site
This is definitely worthy of being a sticky. Thanks for making everyone aware. It will help so many especially those who don't feel able to ask.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Excellent post. For anyone uncomfortable with even thinking about it, just take a few moments now to look at the options and sign up if you wish to. And then put it to the back of your mind, knowing that it is something you will not have to worry about later on because you'll know what you have decided.

cundlegreen

Visit site
I am hoping that Admin may consider this worthy of a sticky?

Its all about finding the most economical way to say goodbye to your equine friend at the end.
Having recently heard all sorts of horror stories of prices some people are quoted I thought it was time to put the owner in control before it becomes a panic.
Below is a link to the NFSCO which is a scheme originally set up for farm animals but they have an equine scheme as well.
Basically you join which is free! then you have access to a list of collectors who cover your area along with their pricing for a range of services from cremation to straight forward PTS and disposal. That way on line you have transparent access to what you need to know to make the right decisions. They even invoice at the end of the month for direct debit payments.

http://www.nfsco.co.uk/how-to-join.php

An example of pricing is my local collector charges £90 for under 14.2 and £150 for over 14.2 which includes PTS and disposal. Most offer out of hours emergency and roadside assistance as well. Also they will collect animals PTS by the Vet and save you their horrendous disposal charges.

It's a lot dearer around here, I'm afraid. On the plus side, the knackerman for this area is an absolute star, and is so good with the horses.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Thank you for this.

It isn't something we like to think about but it can be very expensive - it cost me £400 for a pts injection and knackerman, but at the time one isn't in a fit state to shop around or haggle, so posts like this one bring awareness of options, services and prices.