When to advertise?

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I need to put my horse out on full loan before next spring (needs to be loaned by March) and am wondering when I should start looking for a loaner.

I am not ready for him to go yet and would prefer to keep him through winter. I'm assuming any potential loaners will not want to take on a new horse going into winter anyway & they'd prefer a horse towards the end of winter, ready for competing in spring. Would that be a fair assumption?

It won't be the end of the world if I still have him in March but isn't ideal.

When do I start spreading the word locally & advertising him? I want to give myself plenty of time to find the right person but without keeping them waiting for a long time. I also want to make the most of him while I can & not let him go too soon.

ihatework

Visit site
Personally I'd start sooner rather than later for two reasons
1) if they are prepared to take on at start of winter then they are probably fairly serious
2) it gives you a bit of a safety net if it doesn't work out and he needs to come back

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Personally I'd start sooner rather than later for two reasons
1) if they are prepared to take on at start of winter then they are probably fairly serious
2) it gives you a bit of a safety net if it doesn't work out and he needs to come back

Thanks. I don't need / want him to go before winter as atm I can still ride but I'm wary of hanging on to him for too long. I have back up in case he doesn't go or comes back (he can go to a friend's & keep her horse company) but it's not ideal as he would be ridden v little & is a pain for me to commit to going regularly to m/o or poo pick.

If you happen to know anyone who fancied a little sporty Connie cobby pocket rocket on loan, please send them my way ;) he's fit & ready to go.

VikingSong

Visit site
You want to keep him over winter, but have him loaned out by March? That doesn't leave much of a window. Perhaps start advertising towards the tail end of January or start of February. You never know, you might find someone interested before March rolls around.

Equi

Visit site
ASAP! I would get a part loaner now, who is willing to then take him in summer. By that time they will now him, know you, youll know them and it should work out.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I really don't want a part loaner. When he goes on loan, he needs to go completely (or loaner keeps at current yard but has 100% responsibility) & for longer than just the summer.

Sorry VS, I think it's my definition of 'winter' that's confusing things. All being well I should be ok riding up to about me December & YO & DR trainer will ride him if not. I guess I'd be looking for him to go any time from mid December onwards, though later is fine. I just tend to lump the months into 'summer' and 'winter'!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
What type and height is he. If he's going to be something straight forward and popular then you've not got a lot to worry about. I would start advertising him around December as available from then on. Nights start getting lighter from then on so the worst of the winter is past ;)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
15hh Connie X (x with ID apparently), sporty cob/ big pony type. He's utterly fab, though I'm biased. Just got his first BD points, placed BE80 & UA 90s (only didn't fully affiliate as I couldn't afford it), schools easily over BE100, Novice team chased, hacks, hunts, fun rides, clips, shoes, loads.... Not a schoolmaster as can be sensitive & a bit sharp but with a quiet, kind rider, he'll try his heart out for you & is incredibly trainable with 3 super paces. Not for a novice but fab for a low level comp /RC comp rider who wants a rosette every time they go out & wants to progress.

ETA - love it when we start getting those lighter nights!! :)

Equi

Visit site
Is there any reason you don't want a part loan? I run a site on fb, so i see a lot of his type for loan - and they don't loan quite as easy as everyone thinks. A lot who loan are novice, kids, nervous or simply have not got any money so end up loaning for a month, then send back when the livery is due.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Because I need a couple of years of not having a horse at all. I won't have the time or finances as have other things going on. IME of part loan, it seems mainly to be v novice people who want to learn on your horse (not suitable) or people who want to make no / little contribution in return for unlimited riding, although I do of course accept there are exclusions to this.

Horse needs to go somewhere that he can continue having fun while I take a couple of years off. Personal circumstances will not allow for horse next year but I will want him back eventually so not selling as he's one in a million. If he comes back then I have back up but it's not ideal. He won't be going to someone who'll send him back as soon as livery bill is due as home will be fully vetted with refs taken up.
I can't believe there are no loaners out there who want a good RC or grassroots comp horse but don't have the money to buy one upfront.

I'm actually hoping he'll go via word of mouth & have a couple of people interested (via hunt & another avenue) who already know him well, so fingers crossed I won't need to advertise in the end!

be positive

Visit site
Because I need a couple of years of not having a horse at all. I won't have the time or finances as have other things going on. IME of part loan, it seems mainly to be v novice people who want to learn on your horse (not suitable) or people who want to make no / little contribution in return for unlimited riding, although I do of course accept there are exclusions to this.

Horse needs to go somewhere that he can continue having fun while I take a couple of years off. Personal circumstances will not allow for horse next year but I will want him back eventually so not selling as he's one in a million. If he comes back then I have back up but it's not ideal. He won't be going to someone who'll send him back as soon as livery bill is due as home will be fully vetted with refs taken up.
I can't believe there are no loaners out there who want a good RC or grassroots comp horse but don't have the money to buy one upfront.

I'm actually hoping he'll go via word of mouth & have a couple of people interested (via hunt & another avenue) who already know him well, so fingers crossed I won't need to advertise in the end!

I think he will be very desirable in the PC market and I would advertise him on their site, at his size he will suit a mid teen who is likely to have to give up when they go of to uni so loaning rather than buying can make perfect sense, friends of mine leased a 14 hand pony for a few seasons as a stop gap between sizes he was a good PC type that they did low level BE with as well as PC stuff, they paid a fixed amount annually to lease as well as full insurance and all the costs, they also paid for the tack that came with him, they got the tack money returned when he went on to his next home. It worked really well, they got a really good pony ready made, they did improve his cv so in a way lost out financially but they didn't have to spend £10k to buy him or risk losing it if anything went wrong that insurance did not cover.

I would put an ad in just before the Christmas holidays, it is not the best time but someone serious will be looking and make the effort and they are the ones you want, there will not be much else around then and it is a great time to get a new one so by the time the season starts the partnership is getting established, by April most people will want to be out competing not just finding out how to ride their new horse.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
be positive, thanks for your reply.
I had thought about a PC home. He isn't suitable for a nervous child or someone who wants a push button horse because he isn't that. Jumping-wise, the more he does, the better he is. He can get a bit whizzy and keen, so he does need someone who can actually ride a horse. XC he is just awesome - you point and go. He's careful, quick, clever and brave without being silly. SJ he does need a bit more riding as he gets a bit c@cky. He's very clever and tends to anticipate, so SJ training he needs to do lots of different exercises to keep him busy. You can't just keep coming over the same three fences time and again. He's lovely over a course though as plenty of fillers and turns to think about.

I think he'd make a great PC eventing type as he's sharp enough to be fun and clever but without being silly or naughty. Typical overgrown pony type really I guess.

I will prob start to advertise mid Dec I think. You're right in what you say about people wanting to start getting established towards the end of the season ready for competing in Jan.