When to call the vet

emfen1305

Visit site
Having a mild panic.. lunged Buddy tonight and he looked quite short behind in trot. In walk he seemed fine, tracking up etc but I could hear a clicking noise which sounded like it was coming from high up on his bum on the right side (rather than in his hock or fetlock) so moved him into trot and he looked like his hind legs were moving quite quickly and choppy and it looked like he was moving the arena surface more than usual. Asked him to canter and didn't seem any different than usual so it's just the trot that was the problem. Backed him up, turned him on a circle etc, lifted all the legs to check them and couldn't see anything or feel anything odd so I am at a bit of a loss.

He had his feet done yesterday (barefoot behind and shod in front) and I clipped his legs as I always do and then I took him on a short hack after and he was fine. He seems fine in himself, he was very forward and willing tonight, but just looked off. I am sending a video to the physio in the morning and she is coming Tuesday and my instructor is coming to look at him tomorrow night but after years of a lame horse I am just starting to panic. Given his age, breed and conformation, I imagine if I did take him into the vets they would find something but have always put that to the back of my mind because he's been sound and working well but now I am starting to worry and think I should just book him in for a workup - which does seem a bit extreme now I have read back over the post. I guess realistically the choices are call the vet and get a work up or wait and see if he gets better but I am a worrier and posting makes me feel like I am doing something! Any advice or similar situations? It was all going so well :(

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Has he been trimmed a bit short on his hinds maybe? I wouldn't get the vet yet see what instructor and physio say and try not to panic. It's awful though, the worry. I had this a couple of weeks ago with The Beast. Head nodding lame on a turn in trot... cue disaster planning. But 2 weeks in the field and she's fine again. Think she'd just tweaked something or bruised her foot or similar.

emfen1305

Visit site
Has he been trimmed a bit short on his hinds maybe? I wouldn't get the vet yet see what instructor and physio say and try not to panic. It's awful though, the worry. I had this a couple of weeks ago with The Beast. Head nodding lame on a turn in trot... cue disaster planning. But 2 weeks in the field and she's fine again. Think she'd just tweaked something or bruised her foot or similar.

Quite possibly, they don't look any different than usual and it didn't look like he had taken loads off but maybe it wasn't the best idea to do a road hack immediately after being trimmed! I think I am overthinking and worrying about it being more than that and then having to go down the vet route again, just got myself into a bit of a tizz!

Glad she is better again, these horses are sent to test us!

albeg

Visit site
Don't panic yet. Give him a couple of days, see what instructor and physio think, and then talk to vet/farrier if there's no improvement or he gets worse.

emfen1305

Visit site
I should have titled this thread "do not waste your time reading this, I am overthinking" :p I am going to buy a fish instead!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
dont do that! you only have to read some of the fish threads on here to work out that isnt going to help.

If he was trimmed a bit short I'd expect it to be resolved in a few days, week max. If it hasn't then Id think of other things, now go eat some chocolate or something instead.

emfen1305

Visit site
But have they released a 4 part series on how to identify if your fish has a subtle lameness in one or more of its fins? Because I have just lost my entire evening watching horses hind legs in slow motion and being told that EVERYTHING IS LAME :oops:

Luckily I am away for the weekend so he gets 3 days off from me staring at him looking confused, the physio is booked for Tuesday despite not having seen the video yet and instructor coming first but overthinking me requires actions so normal me can sleep! :rolleyes: