When to do the first walk trot test?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Trying to get into positive mode - have a three year old ID who'll be backed next Spring, but I have osteoporosis in my spine so don't know yet if will be able to ride him. Anyhoo, that aside, because I'm being positive and looking forward hopefully, when would people first take a youngster out and about for Intros? Obviously no thoughts of winning ribbons, etc., more staying in the arena and having the right things happen in the right places (or as close as possible!).

Even if I can't do it, D1 will ride for me :)

MissTyc

Visit site
I get them out to that type of thing as soon as they will go forwards in walk and trot and have rudimentary canter. I want travelling and busy venues to be part of their "normal" ...

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I get them out to that type of thing as soon as they will go forwards in walk and trot and have rudimentary canter. I want travelling and busy venues to be part of their "normal" ...

Good point. Thank you. He'll be out and about for a looksee in the coming months, inhand, but undersaddle will be different :)

Most competition centres require that they are 4 first.

Another good point, ta :) He won't be backed 'till he's four so he'll be okay age-wise. He won't have a whole lot done next year as he's a big slow growing ID. We're in no hurry :)

Compoboots

Visit site
I got my 4yo on the 1st of August unbroken, by now she's doing walk trot canter on the flat so we're planning to go and do an intro test on October 30th :)
She's been very laid back about the whole things and really it's just to get her out and experiencing different venues without the pressure of worrying about scores :)

I'd say you'll know yourself when he's ready!

LeannePip

Visit site
i try and get them out doing it as early in their education as possible, i don't expect much but i want it to become one of those things that just happens, and its much easier to introduce it at the early stages when everything is new and they are sponge like, rather than when they think they know everything and don't want to do it!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I wouldn't dream of "competing" at walk-trot; if you can't canter you have nothing to show, but I do always throw one or other of our youngsters on the lorry with the big boys when we go to shows, just for a look-see and a hack around the showground. By the time they are finished being broken I'll usually enter a Prelim as a kind of "finish", or graduation if you like, so as soon as they are civillised.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Nothing beats having a go, getting used to the sights and sounds, travelling , standing tied to the lorry, going in to the warm up. I'd go as soon as you can run through the test safely. It doesn't matter where you come or really even what your score is. The win is going, getting the experience and getting home again. I know some like to be competitive before they go but I've never worried about that as I am only interested in my score and improving on that.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I wouldn't dream of "competing" at walk-trot; if you can't canter you have nothing to show, but I do always throw one or other of our youngsters on the lorry with the big boys when we go to shows, just for a look-see and a hack around the showground. By the time they are finished being broken I'll usually enter a Prelim as a kind of "finish", or graduation if you like, so as soon as they are civillised.

There is nothing wrong with doing an intro test in a competition environment. My bonkers carthorse did a whole winter series of the 3 intro tests last winter as a 4 year old, winning a fair few. Why did we keep taking him, because he is a bag of nerves and repetition was needed to educate him. Many outings on the lorry, standing with his haynet, hacking around the lorry park and being sensible made him. Canter blew his brains and when anxiety took over he was a liability.

Every horse is different and their training should be tailored to their needs. My cart horse is 5 now and cantering well, winning a prelim last week. I think young horses should be well schooled in walk and trot way before they compete, they should be rideable, be able to move their shoulders and have leg yield, shoulder fore and startings of shoulder in. I guess the meaning of 'civilised' is variable, but judging by the number of horses I have tried over the years, my idea of civilised is way beyond what a lot of people consider as a polite, balanced and in front of the leg horse.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thank you folks :)

Will see how he, and I, go. Will hopefully get out and about and give it a shot. Lost a lot of time to lame horses, etc., so if health allows I'll take him, and if not, then D1 or a good friend will :) We'll see how he goes :)

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Mrs Mozart, I'm sure your decision will be perfectly tailored to your young horse, and I wish you all the luck in the world with him. I think I'm remembering rightly that you had a beautiful chestnut mare called Dizzy; I hope your new boy gives you as much love and enjoyment as she did.

Ebenezer_Scrooge

Visit site
I echo the sentiments as posted by Spot_the_Risk, you will do your first test when he is ready like you also did with Dizzy, your beautiful flaxen haired, chestnut girl. I loved hearing about her & seeing pictures of her progress & maturity. ..
Good luck with this wee man, looking forward to updates xx

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I echo the sentiments as posted by Spot_the_Risk, you will do your first test when he is ready like you also did with Dizzy, your beautiful flaxen haired, chestnut girl. I loved hearing about her & seeing pictures of her progress & maturity. ..
Good luck with this wee man, looking forward to updates xx

Oh dear. Definitely dribbling now. Thank you.

kinnygirl1

Visit site
If he's relatively straight forward, I would do it as soon as you feel ready. A nice settled day weather wise, a small friendly venue and just let him absorb the sights and smells. All good experience for a youngster. Make sure you post pics on here!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thank you. I'm hoping he'll be as chilled as he is now. Love the big lad. He'll be backed by Dark Knight and Alwaysbroke (on here) and D1, as I won't be able to do it due to the wonky, and I know they'll be incredibly supportive and will go with us. Will probably aim for Eland as know it well and like the people there :) Will definitely post piccies :) This place was so supportive of me and the Dizz that it feels right and proper to keep all updated on the new lad :)