When to feed?

H-J

www.piczo.com
Had an examination on Spider on Monday and she is still in foal - yey
grin.gif

But she is looking quite fat at the mo on the grass (24/7) she will be coming in at night from the weekend probably - how much should we be feeding her morning and night?

Usually she is a very good doer she was only fed for fizz as quite lazy!!

machannah

Visit site
when is she due? if she is a good doer and is carrying weight well with grass/hay etc then i wouldnt change much until the last 3/4 months.

H-J

www.piczo.com
[ QUOTE ]
when is she due? if she is a good doer and is carrying weight well with grass/hay etc then i wouldnt change much until the last 3/4 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

She is due mid May, yes she is a good doer so you reckon dont start feeding till January ish then? She will have chaff twice a day anyway otherwise she will create when the others are fed!!

machannah

Visit site
You will get differing opinions, however my mare was in work till the end of jan, and on her normal rations of mix, hifi etc. She isnt a great doer, so had adlib hay etc but that wasnt un-normal for her.

Feed wise from the end of Jan (she was due mid may also) i started introducing stud mix, lots of recommendations on here for Dodson & Horell Suregrow, which can also be fed to the foal. Baileys do some good feed for the pregnant mare, and mine was on Outshine also (again recommended on here).

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
My mares are currently on very good grazing so no hard feed yet. Once the grass stops growing they start to get a basic cube, Alfa A and beet, or for the fatties just a feed balancer, so that everyone is getting their basic vit and mineral requirements. Approximately 3 months before foaling they are switched to stud mix (we use Dodson and Horells) or Suregrow for the fatties.