When to make payment Re: selling horse

moodymare_1993

Visit site
So I am selling my mare, and so far the owner has put down an agreed deposit. She is due to get picked up early next week by a professional horse transporter.

My question is, when do i ask for full payment of my mare and how do I go about having the sale contracts signed etc? I was hoping to do this on the day as they were going to collect her themselves originally.

Sorry this may sound so basic but I’ve never sold a horse before and I want to get it right.

Thanks

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
You need to have the full balance either in your hand or in your bank account before the horse leaves your yard (actually, before the horse steps on the ramp). Having sold horses for many years, this is the only way that I will let a horse leave. Signing the contract is slightly less important, but that can be done electronically now too.

be positive

Visit site
I would ask for a bank transfer to be in before collection time, send a receipt and the passport with the driver, no real need for them to sign anything, they will have paid and from the moment she is loaded is their responsibility.

moodymare_1993

Visit site
BP, i think I just wanted to get a contracted signed because of all the horror stories I’ve heard of horses not being suitable and sending back ending up in court etc (My mare is lovely but green which the lady knows and is more than happy with) I just would hate for something to come back and haunt me 3 weeks later!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
BP, i think I just wanted to get a contracted signed because of all the horror stories I’ve heard of horses not being suitable and sending back ending up in court etc (My mare is lovely but green which the lady knows and is more than happy with) I just would hate for something to come back and haunt me 3 weeks later!

Having a contract will not prevent idiot people buying horses, nor trying to blame the seller when they can't handle it.

be positive

Visit site

I have sold loads and never had a contract as such, I write a receipt stating the basic facts and sign it, whatever you have put on a contract will make no difference if something not mentioned goes wrong but as a private seller there is little come back anyway and to an extent the more you try and cover your back the more likely you will have an issue, as long as you have been honest and the home is as suitable as you hope it is there is little to worry about.

I have only really had one come back and they knew it's issues, which were clearly stated many times, so they found another reason to return him which as I had not been there I could not dispute so for an easy life I took him back.

Very few cases go to court, many more should in my view.