When to spay?

Serephin

Visit site
It is a few months off yet, but after reading the spaying at 8 weeks thread, I thought I would ask when the best time to spay our puppy will be?

She is currently 15 weeks old. I had heard that it is best to wait until they have had their first season, but the vet said this is not necessary and she can be spayed at 5/6 months old. So I am just wondering what is best for my dog, as I want her to be happy and healthy.

Thanks in advance.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
For a large breed dog personally I would wait until they are physically and mentally mature, this can be up to 18 -24 months in my own breed. I would not spay one of my own at that age but others may tell you different :)

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I had my little ESS girl done at 7 months. She had to have a small op on one of her eyes so we had her speyed at the same time so that she only had one GA. My vet actually suggested it and said that as long as she was physically mature enough there is no reason why not to. I suppose that fits with the theory that the larger breeds may need longer to mature in general. Chloe recovered really well and we have had no problems at all. However, I had my previous 2 girls done between 18-24 months and had no problems with them either. I suppose as long as you know you can keep them safe from unwelcome advances, waiting a while is not an issue.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Mine (I suppose a medium breed dog) was done at six and a half months, to no detriment that I'm aware of. She is taller than the average husky but that's just as likely down to shoddy breeding. :p

A beloved family dog died of cancer that could have been entirely prevented by neutering so I was ultra paranoid about having it done and preferably done early.

CAYLA

Visit site
In that size breed Im going to agree with your vet, her growth will be over by the time she is neutered. I would go with the 6 -7 month mark. You will get the whole,(she will remain in puppy limbo) which she will not, entire dogs can also act like puppies most of their lifes and even more so depending on breed;) growth is the main issues as the growth plates will remain open but for your breed as mentioned she will be at full growth.
In large breeds I would agree to wait that bit longer, 14 months is a good time, certainly if you are waiting for growth to complete and still want to cut the risk later problems arising from non neutering or late neutering.
Just my opinion.:)

Last edited:

CAYLA

Visit site
Mine (I suppose a medium breed dog) was done at six and a half months, to no detriment that I'm aware of. She is taller than the average husky but that's just as likely down to shoddy breeding. :p

A beloved family dog died of cancer that could have been entirely prevented by neutering so I was ultra paranoid about having it done and preferably done early.

Have to say my whippey x grey was done at 6 months maybe slightly younger (well my mam did) as I was about 13 when I got her lol....she lived till 17 and I never spent a penny on vet fees nor did she ever visit the vet or have any thing other than vaxes in her life, no incontinence either:)

TelH

Visit site
My springer was approx 8 1/2months when she was spayed. There are 2 vets at my practise, one said he preferred them to have one season first, the other said he didn't mind either way. I had her done before her 1st season because OH has an entire dog and thinks random breeding is perfectly acceptable :eek: :eek:

prosefullstop

Visit site
I went with six months for my Boston terrier (at 16lbs, I'm guessing the same size as your dog). No health issues related to spaying, and no weight issues.

Serephin

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I think I shall go with getting her done at 6 months, before her first season if possible. Vet seemed to think that was fine.

Picobello

New User
Visit site
I had my old dachshound bitch spayed after her first season. The theory behind this is that they are considered to be both physically and mentally. I know of some bitches (different breeds) which have been spayed before their first season, who haven't mentally matured, which can influence training them.