When to stop vet treatment? UPDATE

Jo C

Visit site
Well we went up to see Ian Wright at Greenwood Ellis & Partners and received nothing but good news
smile.gif
. The prognosis was that the boney lump will continue to grow but shouldn't cause any problems at all. Ian basically said that Patrick was growing new bone to compensate for the fact that we had to remove his splint bone and feels that once this growth is complete there shouldn't be any other problems and the lump may even smooth out slightly over time. So thank you to everyone for your support. Two weeks ago I was getting ready to make an awful decision, now it seems everything is going to be ok, hopefully this year will start to improve now.
But the other good news is that I took him out to Trailblazers dressage on Sunday for the 1st competition since March and we came 3rd in the Novice 30 so I have decided to bite the bullet and get myself back on track and affiliate to BD.

Thanks everyone!!!
smile.gif

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Wonder if our original posts should have been - When to stop BELIEVING vets? I know they have to cover their backs (with gloomy prognoses) but it will take me forever to catch up on my lost sleep. Not to mention the damage done to family life with my zombie-like behaviour. The 'hooray' of the good news is pretty brill though.

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
To be fair Brighteyes you say yuor vet found a Guttural Puch full of gunk. This enerally does carry a very guarded prognosis - I think you should be very relieved about the outcome but I don't think you have any reason to give the vet a hard time about it.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I didn't! I was extremely grateful to all of them and utterly relieved. I will show your post to all those who thought I got too worked up (distraught) about it. I know exactly how grave the situation was. I wasn't being serious, saying don't believe them and certainly not suggesting you call their expertise into question. My vet is only too happy to have been proved a bit wide of the mark on this occasion. 'Murphy's Law', he said. Nor am I naive enough to think that's the last we've seen of it. Just got me fingers x'ed.

Jo C

Visit site
I know what you mean I am still having trouble about how different the prognosis is from my vets to be honest but I guess only time will tell. I trust my vet 100% and he has been absolutely brilliant through all this but I know exactly where you are coming from re lost sleep and family life. I think my husband would tell you I have been a nightmare to live with this year. I am still a bit guarded about my reaction to the latest news but the fact is at the moment he is sound and working the best he ever has so I'm just going to go with that and enjoy it after not riding for virtually the whole of this year.
Sorry that was a bit of a ramble but I guess you know where I am coming from!
laugh.gif

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Our little pony won two jumping classes and was 2nd in WH today. Last week she was at Leahurst with very guarded prognosis and x-rays to confirm it! Enjoy him while he's well. Be extra nice to OH.