When was your last lesson?

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
For me - 3 years if I remember rightly 🤔

I'm super critical of my riding and am always reading/researching & my horse seems to be coming on nicely - we don't compete but she's working well over her back & into a genuine contact.

We school and lunge once or twice a week - hack out on the roads and in the countyside and do fast work on the 3 furlong gallop on our yard.

I just don't have the funds to pay for lessons atm - anyone else in the same boat?

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Last Thursday :)
I had to go without for years and years as I had no transport and the only people who came to the yard were jumping trainers only.

But it's the thing I absolutely live for now and I would give up just about everything else before that. I love my fortnightly lessons and there is no way I'd be doing what I am now without that regular input.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Far too long ago, maybe 7 years, eep o_O. I miss having regular lessons, but sadly current horse is too wonky for much arena work. I find it difficult to sit well when I do hacking only, I tend to slump forwards.

I do have mirrors in the arena, so when I do tootle about in walk in there, I can at least see and correct my position. I used to have quite a good seat, but it’s not so good now :(.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Recently had six months with no lessons as I was getting used to a new horse and I was just moseyng along. Started RC clinics over the winter and last month started proper lessons once every 2 weeks.

The acceleration in learning has been phenomenal since starting the private lessons with an inspirational trainer. Have to drive 2 hours to get there though!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Who is your inspirational trainer?

Haha, I have had many inspirational trainers over the years, but I do think that trainers can only be inspirational at the right time for you.

At the moment I have a young horse whilst being older myself, along with my reduced physical abilities. In addition mum has been unwell and it has all been very stressful. I have the knowledge in my head, but have been too busy/stressed to get it all together. Some trainers could have crushed me.

23 years ago I did my BHSII at Snainton and met Charlotte Wilson. I found she has great insight and teaches like a scalpel (in a nice way, I mean she is sooooo precise). When I got my exam (after 3 weeks of lessons split into 3 because yes, she really gives you the information precisely) I have not seen or heard of her since, as we live a fair way away.

I finally felt ready to get going and was trying to decide who to entrust with my fragile progress, and it was Charlotte who came to mind. I did not know where she would be based after 23 years, so got on Google and found she was still at Snainton.

I arrived in bits as I am really a shadow of the rider I was, and I have a beautiful young horse who is just waiting for me to get my act together. Anyway, half an hour later and I was grinning from ear to ear, having had a prep discussion, assessment and getting to the root of my current ridden blocks. I had to stop to say how happy I was as it was brimming out of me, and I still had half an hour to go!

After 3 lessons I am now together enough that...

1. I am happy (and that is no 1!).
2. Dressage scores up by 5%
3. I believe in myself again.
(actually 2 and 3 would be the other way round in importance)
4. I have gained confidence enough to book onto 2 camps with my horse.
5. I ditched the saddle I didn't like (but kept because it fitted her) and got one I do like - it has improved my stability no end).
6. Want to do the work myself instead of feeling like I want someone else to do the hard bits (back to believing in myself).
7. My horse is now moving softly through her back, so I CAN sit to her trot.
8. I am back to helping my horse achieve balance, lightness etc rather than fighting her (this one could be at the top of the list, but it is a culmination of the others).

So yes, pretty inspirational!

New goal (well old goal that I had lost faith in but now it is rekindled) is to do a Med test next year, do music, do a BE90 next year. I have completed my homework of an action plan month by month and we are on target.

I have a prelim test today, another tomorrow at a different venue, am now able to ride a proper half halt with seat and only a touch of rein. I feel like I can ride again!

Next lesson is Tuesday.

Last edited:

Carrottom

Visit site
I love having lessons. I have just started taking my new boy for jumping training. We aren't actually leaving the ground yet but today might be the day! He was rather reactive to start with so we have spend the first 3 sessions desensitizing him, trotting over poles and between wing stands. I like the way my instructor explains what we are doing and why we are doing it, in particular in relation to me and my horse specifically.

Bernster

Visit site
She sounds amazing red and that’s lovely to read.

I have regular flatwork lessons weekly if I can. Instructor also schools Finnegan once a week. I got into the habit of this when he was young, green and we needed a fair amount of help, plus she liveries on the yard so it’s much easier. I decided a boot camp was needed ie consistent and regular sessions. Prob don’t need quite so intense a programme now but there are missing weeks due to work, hols etc., an I’m enjoying them and still get loads of lightbulb moments.

I think we’d fall into bad habits if I didn’t stuck to it. My natural wonkyness would run amok!

Obv other reasons too but when I first started with this ins on my boot camp, my dressage scores increased by 10%!

Jumping lessons are patchy which explains why it’s my weaker phase!

scats

Visit site
My last lesson was probably about 2 years ago. My health issues mean I have to stop regularly for walking breaks and sometimes have to cut a session short if things gets really bad. I just found it too much to try and keep going during a lesson.

VRIN

Visit site
Haha, I have had many inspirational trainers over the years, but I do think that trainers can only be inspirational at the right time for you.

At the moment I have a young horse whilst being older myself, along with my reduced physical abilities. In addition mum has been unwell and it has all been very stressful. I have the knowledge in my head, but have been too busy/stressed to get it all together. Some trainers could have crushed me.

23 years ago I did my BHSII at Snainton and met Charlotte Wilson. I found she has great insight and teaches like a scalpel (in a nice way, I mean she is sooooo precise). When I got my exam (after 3 weeks of lessons split into 3 because yes, she really gives you the information precisely) I have not seen or heard of her since, as we live a fair way away.

I finally felt ready to get going and was trying to decide who to entrust with my fragile progress, and it was Charlotte who came to mind. I did not know where she would be based after 23 years, so got on Google and found she was still at Snainton.

I arrived in bits as I am really a shadow of the rider I was, and I have a beautiful young horse who is just waiting for me to get my act together. Anyway, half an hour later and I was grinning from ear to ear, having had a prep discussion, assessment and getting to the root of my current ridden blocks. I had to stop to say how happy I was as it was brimming out of me, and I still had half an hour to go!

After 3 lessons I am now together enough that...

1. I am happy (and that is no 1!).
2. Dressage scores up by 5%
3. I believe in myself again.
(actually 2 and 3 would be the other way round in importance)
4. I have gained confidence enough to book onto 2 camps with my horse.
5. I ditched the saddle I didn't like (but kept because it fitted her) and got one I do like - it has improved my stability no end).
6. Want to do the work myself instead of feeling like I want someone else to do the hard bits (back to believing in myself).
7. My horse is now moving softly through her back, so I CAN sit to her trot.
8. I am back to helping my horse achieve balance, lightness etc rather than fighting her (this one could be at the top of the list, but it is a culmination of the others).

So yes, pretty inspirational!

New goal (well old goal that I had lost faith in but now it is rekindled) is to do a Med test next year, do music, do a BE90 next year. I have completed my homework of an action plan month by month and we are on target.

I have a prelim test today, another tomorrow at a different venue, am now able to ride a proper half halt with seat and only a touch of rein. I feel like I can ride again!

Next lesson is Tuesday.
That sounds pretty inspirational to me ... let us know how it goes

JFTDWS

Visit site
Depends on what sort of lesson you mean :p I haven't had a dressage lesson in about 4 years since I stopped pushing the boundaries of what I've done. Probably 3 for SJ.

But I do see coaches and people for ridiculous alternative horse sports fairly frequently, who do have an input of some degree into the horses' training.

catkin

Visit site
Young pony and old-fossil rider here - so lesson once a week with a trainer on the ground at the moment to keep us going in the right direction :). Enjoy them so much too.

I've had a few youngsters over the years and we've always factored 'school-fees' into the cost of keeping them though.......

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
My last lesson was probably about 2 years ago. My health issues mean I have to stop regularly for walking breaks and sometimes have to cut a session short if things gets really bad. I just found it too much to try and keep going during a lesson.

Sorry to hear that Scats x

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Far too long ago, maybe 7 years, eep o_O. I miss having regular lessons, but sadly current horse is too wonky for much arena work. I find it difficult to sit well when I do hacking only, I tend to slump forwards.

I do have mirrors in the arena, so when I do tootle about in walk in there, I can at least see and correct my position. I used to have quite a good seat, but it’s not so good now :(.

I'm sure you are being hard on yourself 😉 if we had mirrors I'd probably be horrified at mine although Madam is very good at telling me when she thinks I'm not asking for things properly 😅

Wheels

Visit site
I would like fortnightly lessons but just never seem to be able to fit that in. Its actually Easter since I had a lesson and that is too long for me.

Visit site
1997? Possibly early 1998?

Since then I have figured out how to ride racehorsea (never went to racing school) and my lot do well enough in the show ring that I have broken/reschooled myself so I figure I cant be going too far wrong!

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
1997? Possibly early 1998?

Since then I have figured out how to ride racehorsea (never went to racing school) and my lot do well enough in the show ring that I have broken/reschooled myself so I figure I cant be going too far wrong!

😊

scats

Visit site
Sorry to hear that Scats x

Aw thank you very much x
It’s not all bad though, the fact that I can get up and ride at all is fantastic, and so much more than some other people can manage. I bumble along ok without lessons and am able to produce horses to a fairly reasonable standard, although no doubt I would get much further with regular eyes on the ground.

humblepie

Visit site
Last night. Went for years without lessons now generally have two or three a month. Instructor sometimes rides horse in lessons as well. Sometimes go to another instructor with 20 x 60 arena. In essence I know what I need to do to improve but eyes on the ground so helpful as is horse being schooled. He gets ride judged so needs to be used to different riders.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Depends how you define a "lesson". If you define a lesson as being something which takes place with an instructor in a school, then my last "lesson" was over 10 years ago when I first got my old boy and that was the safest environment we could get.

I have a professional who mentors me and who backed my youngster. She does what the client needs, and as I spend a lot of time out and about hacking, that's what we do! I wouldn't necessarily define our sessions as a "lesson" in the strictest sense: more a case of going for a hack, often deliberately tackling difficult issues such as napping, or meeting traffic, or riding in company - whatever is needed basically.

So under that definition, my last "lesson" took place on Easter Monday this year, when - with my professional to mentor me and my youngster on her first Fun Ride - she mentored me all the way around and we tackled whatever issues presented themselves, i.e. horses cantering up behind, going through streams, cantering in open countryside, going through gates, obstacles on the course etc etc.

TheHairyOne

Visit site
I try to have 2 flat work and one jump lesson a month. I am thinking of upping the jumping for a bit as I find that its a bit too long between them and my confidence starts a gradual slide. The flat instructor is the really picky one ( I like this) and the jumping is a bit more about positivity rather than techincal difficulty atm.

Sasana Skye

Visit site
Dread to think...maybe end of 2017? I didn’t ride much last year because both horses were out of action. I plan on making up for it after the summer once I’ve built my bank account up a bit. It took a horrendous hit last year thanks to said horses vet bills. Just need to find an instructor I can travel to now as I don’t like riding in our arena at home the surface is really quite poor.

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
This morning. It was a XC lesson. I feel I need loads of them because this is my weakest phase as I just get so nervous. However XC lessons are the most expensive so I'm trying to save up and have a load through the summer( ground permitting) so I can be confident to do hunter trials in the autumn. I love having lessons and always try and jot down a few notes afterwards so I can reflect on what I have learnt. I have chopped and changed a bit with trainers recently just to see if I can find one that gets me and my horse.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I booked my first lesson after 5 years this week. My old guy wasn’t up to schooling anymore after an annular ligament operation.

I didn’t realise until I was describing my experience and what I wanted that it had been that long! :eek: I got my newer lad last August but have mainly been hacking and had lost my enthusiasm for schooling. Decided now I need to up my game a bit.

kathantoinette

Visit site
Tuesday and next one is this coming Tuesday. Dressage. Try to have a lesson between 7 to 14 days. I love my lessons. Instructor keeps me very focussed, she is highly competitive and very supportive and wants me to do well every time I go out competing 😀 I also have a jump lesson about once a month with a different instructor.

silv

Visit site
Last lesson was on Friday, I compete at Medium dressage at the moment and love my lessons so try to go weekly. I am fortunate to have a very good trainer who explains things really well as well as being a highly successful rider who also loves training other riders. I really like how kind she is with the horses. She gives me homework each week which I find really helpful.

chaps89

Visit site
I have a lesson every 4 weeks on my share horse. Tbh I'm not sure I could maintain my riding well enough for his standard without it.

My own horse I aim for 2 lessons a month and 1 schooling session where my instructor rides. Different instructor to share horse though. It can vary, she's had some things in her personal life to deal with and has been out of the country quite a bit lately so there were gaps of a month or two and I can really notice a difference.

It's funny, up until I started lessons with this instructor 2 years ago (3 years for share horse) a lesson was a special treat and intermittent for sure. Now it's my priority, I'll drop other things or work more hours to be able to have them.
BUT I love the learning process and always want to do better, and I HATE competing so I don't have any competition costs, for me it's what makes riding worthwhile.
I also have a pony who is tricky - lots of medical issues and very laid back so I struggle with is she not going forwards because she's sore or is it because she's not being very generous with her energy because she's the type who just doesn't naturally offer alot up. My instructor is very good at helping me with that and it keeps my head straight.