When will he mature? Growth?

Lydiamae

Visit site
Hiya!

My question is, when do traditional cobs mature growth wise - both up and out? He is 3 1/2 yrs old and not hugely wide but not narrow either. He is 14.2hh and I hope to show and do RC activities.

I know this has been asked a million times on here! I am not asking as I am trying to 'rush' my boy, but I have always owned horses from adults, he was my first yearling who I have broken :) I am looking at getting him a new saddle and I am wondering what to go for and whether it is worth buying BN. Tia x

https://flic.kr/p/QtDQfc

Leo Walker

Visit site
If I get chance I'll come back later and show you photos of mine from 2 yr old to 6.5yr old. If not if you search my posts I've done it a couple of times previously. It was pretty dramatic in my case!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I wouldn't ever buy brand new for a horse that young, unless it's fully adjustable like a WOW, or a cheap synthetic. They change so much as they mature, that you could need several saddle changes before he is fully developed.

I have a Clyde cross who has grown nearly four inches between when I bought him at four and now at six. Have you any idea how big the parents were? Not that it always counts, but it might give you an idea.

Last edited:

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Cobs don't stop growing until they are eight , I would say they mature emotionally at about ten, it's like a light goes on. When I was showing my traditional cob, a breeder said to me the years between 6 and 7 are the ones they really change and she wasn't wrong.

Don't buy anything new that you don't mind selling on at a loss, make sure it alters. They change shape growing and they change shape as you work them. They change shape as you look at them ;)

Leo Walker

Visit site
Cobs don't stop growing until they are eight , I would say they mature emotionally at about ten, it's like a light goes on. When I was showing my traditional cob, a breeder said to me the years between 6 and 7 are the ones they really change and she wasn't wrong.

Except in my case :lol: He changed a lot 4 to 5 but hasnt changed at all between 6 and 7.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
They are slow growers and always worth allowing them to grow steadily, be patient it will be worth the wait.

3 year old -
DSCF0219_zps3b096ead.jpg

5 year old, still growing up and out.
DSCF3720_zpsmtvhik9j.jpg

Lydiamae

Visit site
Thanks all! I still have hope them!

They are slow growers and always worth allowing them to grow steadily, be patient it will be worth the wait.

3 year old -
DSCF0219_zps3b096ead.jpg

5 year old, still growing up and out.
DSCF3720_zpsmtvhik9j.jpg

Adorable Alice - gorgeous horse!! Is he/she Shire cross? Absolutely stunning and I really hope Gary looks a little like that eventually.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
50% Shire, dam was pure shire, stallion a tall coloured vanner. He has followed his dam in looks and immensely tricky temperament. Worth the effort though. Learnt a huge amount trying to raise him.