When will I trust my own judgement?

blitznbobs

Visit site
I’m so cross with myself - I’ve been having a schooling issue with my new horse for a while - he is being ridden by a few people at the mo As I don’t have enough time - and they have been saying ‘ride him this way’ don’t put that saddle on him out this one on ... don’t do this do that... and I’ve been trying to take it all on board til Tuesday when I ended up just getting nowhere - struggling even to maintain a trot ... it was like the last 40 years of riding never happened or something. So today I thought I’m going to do it my way I tacked him up in my preferred saddle, pit his simple snaffle bridle on and rode him ignoring all the advice - and what happened? Well I had a big wobbly horse that tried his heart out, listened to me and it was like the light dawned on him... he’s not perfect he’s very much a baby but so much better...

Now one day I won’t value everyone else’s opinion over my own...

9tails

Visit site
If someone rode my horse because I don't have time then told me how to ride my horse, they wouldn't get the chance to ride my horse again.

blitznbobs

Visit site
If someone rode my horse because I don't have time then told me how to ride my horse, they wouldn't get the chance to ride my horse again.

These people are pros with an excellent reputation I do value their opinion but I should also value my own.

Mule

Visit site
I suppose it's hard sometimes, especially when the people have a good reputation.
Perhaps the fact that you know your horse better is what makes the difference.
The pros are likely doing what should work but, as you have know your horse, you are better placed to know what would work for that horse.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It’s hard for because you can learn so much from others the difficulty is working out what’s useful and what to ignore .
This is very true, and this is a new horse, isn't he, BnB? So you don't know him that well yourself, and you expect reputable experts to have more experience of any foibles he displays, and to know how to handle him?

Been there, got the tee shirt :rolleyes:.

Glad you are back on track.

KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid (not insinuating that the OP is stupid!)