When you bought your horse...........

TicTac

Visit site
what was it about that particular horse that made you realise that it was the one for you.

I am currently looking at horses and in the past 3 weeks or so have tried 6 or 7. Some of them were very well bred and in their own right, nice horses but they just didn;t have ' that something' that made me want to take them home.

I like a nice head and a kind eye on a horse and a good measure of bone. When I went to try my current mare, I didn't like the look of her initially as she was grumpy in the stable and a little bit on the lean side, however once I saw her move and rode her I knew she was for me.

Hopefully I will find that special one soon but I think patience is the key at the moment!

caramel

Visit site
For me it was his kind eye, and quiet temperament. Not too finely built (was actively looking for a ex-racer). Nice and honest, safe and genuine.
I also liked that he's a nice forward ride, and needed a lot of work (was in a field and hadn't been retrained properly).

TallyHo123

Visit site
I was looking for something to compete a bit more seriously on.
One of the last ones I looked at was amazing, would be great for showing and dressage but then I went to see my boy as he was quite local and fell in love! Okay he wasn't as talanted and we haven't moved up anywhere but he has the nicest personality ever and is an absolute dream to spend time with.
The whole yard love him and I hand on heart never want another horse bar him.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Chestnut mare - I liked her from the first moment that I saw her, although I did think that she had a tiny head! ;) I held her when she was laid over in the stable at the beginning of her rebacking and she was so laid back about it that I liked her even more.

Grey mare - she was a weanling when I first met her and she was turned out with a two year old. When we went into the field, Floss came running over to say hello and be made a fuss of, the other filly ran off! Floss is still a total attention whore. :p

Bay mare - I'd known her for a few years (and always thought that she was sweet) and I was given her as a companion for the grey.

Chestnut gelding - it took me three visits to decide that I wanted him. Talk about dithering, I was dreadful, but I think that it was partly because I wasn't really looking for another horse. I'm so pleased that I got him now though. :)

Mongoose11

Visit site
For me it was the fact that she made me laugh while I was riding her. She was a really 'jolly' ride, bouncy and happy in her work, enthusiastic, a bit strong but kind with it.

Not at all what I looked for and I looked at her ad for weeks before ringing but she was the only one, that as a person buying my first ever horse I felt totally confident enough to say - 'yep, I'll have her'. I just knew. Best. Horse. Ever.

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
I felt at home the minute I sat on him he felt right and we clicked. 3 months later I am ashamed to say he is the best horse I have ever owned even better than the best horse in the world Gulliver. I think it's probably because I spent 13 years with Gully and the new boy is benefitting from me being older and wiser.
But it was the look in his eye his attitude and the sitting on him I knew in 5 minutes and then had to prove to myself I was right.

Charem

Visit site
Honestly?

I don't think I knew at the time how special my boy would be. I remember trying him, he was sweet but VERY lazy, I also tried another on the same day who was much more forward going but mum (i was 14 at the time) thought that the 2nd would be too much for me and having trawled round the country to be faced with yet another lame horse I guess we just decided on the lazy coloured cob.

Once he lost all his fat he became very naughty, but we perservered and during the 8 years i've had him he has taken me BS, BE, hunting and generally being the best horse I could ever have asked for.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
1st horse....boyfriend bought him for me as a token of his lurve, how could I refuse? (although he was and is a very lovely horse). Boyfriend now husband.

2nd horse. Beer goggles. Well, no, in fact it was cider....auction...arm went up...oops.

3rd horse. Hmm. Menopausal mistake, soppy sympathy over super skinny sad filly. In retrospect not a mistake at all, she's turning into the most beautiful horse I've ever had the pleasure to own.

smokey

Visit site
She was 4 weeks old, in the field with her mum and 2 other mares and foals. She was the one who left her mum and came to see me! So she picked me, and 9 years later I'm so glad she did

Sparkles

Visit site
I didn't look for any of mine...they all just ended up finding me. Never 'searched' for a horse or been horse shopping in my life yet!

Allie5

Visit site
2ca243a0.jpg

who wouldn't fall for that face! His breeding was exactly what I wanted and at 6 months old he was the blank canvas I was looking for!

meesha

Visit site
couldnt afford somethng backed and sensible - was worried I would inherit someone elses problems so decided to buy unbacked - not many in my budget as 3/4 year olds unbacked - went on my bday to see him - was having a fedup miserable day due to work etc and although he looked like a donkey in the pictures and a little bit in the flesh when he was shooed round the arena (didnt know how to lunge) he moved beautifully and jumped a little pole led on the ground them came and stood next to us so next day bought him.

Best thing I did .. any mistakes I made have been my own - no one else to blame and I wouldnt change a thing about the bugger (hacks out on own, in company and has been hunting for first time last year)

Littlelegs

Visit site
When I got mine I was 10 & she was 2. Wasn't even there to see her, was watching a more appropriate 14.2 being tacked up I was there to see. She had broke loose from round the corner where she was supposedly learning to tie up. So first time I saw her she was cantering across a yard trailing a rope & I caught her & fell for her immediately. Looking back at pics I know now she was going to be lovely when she grew into herself, as a child I just felt protective of the ugly duckling pony with the out of proportion head & legs. She did fit my dream description of a grey connie x, but really it was the nervous unnattractive pony I fell in love with. And I couldn't have chosen better. One horse was bought as a project to sell but I fell for him. The other I had looked after, rode & competed at work for 2 years. Daughters pony was a pure sympathy buy, spotted out dog walking, bought her because if necessary I would have preferred to take her to the hunt than leave her there. That was when she was 1, turned out she had nothing too costly to put right wrong. A friend had said she'd have her as a companion but my then 3yr old daughter adored her, despite having other ponies to do stuff with. Even a fab loan pony wouldn't budge her, she had both up to pony being 4 & her being 6, plus other ponies to ride but insisted on keeping her & loan pony moving on. I have always liked her cos she's an opinionated & fizzy little mare but not for my small child. However I was wrong, couldn't have found one to suit daughter more if I'd tried.
Others have been projects bought to sell so not as picky about them being the one. But when horses were my job, even though I liked all, got fond of plenty, some I just immediately clicked with & would have loved to keep.

DressageCob

Visit site
I had been searching for a couple of months, had begun to lose hope a bit. I saw a coloured cob in horse and hound online, giving it beans over a small hedge so went to have a look. I had just had surgery so only plodded around the school but loved him. He had a cute little face and a pink squishy nose- just what I wanted. He was ploddy for the seller and ploddy when I rode him, which wasn't really what I wanted but instantly fell for him as a person. Got him to my yard, let him settle in for a day or so then rode him, and he was bonkers, bucking and cantering full pelt around the school. He has barely slowed down since then! Certainly no plod :D

zaminda

Visit site
The fact that it took me 40 minutes to catch her in the stable wearing a headcollar, she is everything I want in every way. Her own person, opinionated brave and tough.
My next one had to be rounded up to be caught, so I suspect there is no hope for me!

Flame_

Visit site
The seller said a lot of appealing stuff about him, like he might spook but doesn't jump far, you can leave him tied up and take his mate away and he doesn't bother, he just takes everything in his stride, etc, and it all turned out true :) :)

He seemed sensible and quite well put together.

When I rode him I couldn't stop smiling, he's just so lovely. He was so different from what i was used to, he really was like getting back on a pony, it just felt ace.

I was a bit paranoid about looking massive on him 'cause he's only dinky but I figured what the hell, I'm no giant and he gives me motivation to keep my weight down. :D

I hope you find the right one soon TicTac.

SeasonalSituation

Visit site
He was sold from the field, a 13 year old tb gelding who was too slow to race, he had overgrown feet and had been virtually untouched for four years. But he still had a hunger and a spirit that seemed to make me want him.

He came a week later and neighed like a girl the whole night, he tried in the next months to try and throw me off countless of times, but he taught my OH to ride and I trusted him with anyone. I only had him a short while until financial problems meant he had to go :( ... he went to a friend and unfortunatly I don't know where or how he is now.

I miss him a lot.

Billykid

Visit site
First ever pony, he was just too cute not to have. Turned out to be the sweetest natured and best first pony.
Second pony first time I tried him, we cantered round and round the school as I couldn't stop him, but Mum insisted I tried him again because he was a good looking quality horse. Second time I rode him we had no run aways and when I jumped him I'm told by my mum that my face said it all. Think it was that moment when I fell in love :)

Kat

Visit site
The way she reacted when suddenly the school lights went out and we were plunged into darkness the first time I tried her. And the way DH reacted when he took her for a hack on our second visit.

TallulahBright

Visit site
Saw mine with her mum at about three weeks old as I rode another horse past nursery field. Went home and told hubby I'd seen my future horse and he told me not to be ridiculous. Now she's four and we've been together more than three years and are moving forward with our riding career! :)

daydreambeliever

Visit site
Mine was the 1st horse i went to view. He was tied up with his bottom towards me and as he heard me coming he turned looked at me over his shoulder, fluttered his eyelashes and it was love at 1st sight. I've never had any doubt that we were ment to find each other.

Shantara

Visit site
I've been so lucky in this respect. I've had 5 years to get to know Ned and I've wanted to have him for about 2 1/2/3 years. I didn't think I would ever get him, but hopefully soon he will be mine! I can't imagine how hard it is to buy a horse from just a couple of viewings.

What made me fall in love? His sad little face and that he's a lot like me in some respects, but because I feel I have to look after him, it makes me more confident.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I am not in the slightest bit sentimental (ex pro rider/trainer), and tend to just get on with it and ride them all as required, but now have two absolute rescues that just had to be taken out of their situations. No way could I leave them; they needed help.

ZondaR

Visit site
My first horse I bought because he was exactly what I was looking for. I had him for 2 years and was getting bored with him when I rode a new horse in the riding school and the second I sat up on him we clicked. It was unbelievable. 10 years on and I still love him to bits. The first horse I sold to my best friend and they are still together too and the two horses are best friends too.

Kelly1982

Visit site
I just instantly knew as soon asi saw her!! I didn't even care what she was like ridden, I just knew I had to have her.

The fact she was amazing under saddle as well just confirmed what I was already thinking.

I had also looked at bout 10 others before hand so it def wasn't a case of getting excited over the first one I saw

Kamakazegirl

Visit site
All my horses except my current one have found me through word of mouth/friends etc
But with current boy, i had tried a couple when i went to see him. One had a certain sparkle, but my RI talked me out of her as she had a few too many issues. But when i tried him, I couldnt stop smiling, didnt want to get off and we just sort of clicked-awesome feeling!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
This is going to be a good thread.

My first horse was bought by my dad when I was 16, which an awfully long time ago. Lovely young grey ID gelding owned by a lovely lady who was the spit of the then young and stunning Penelope Keith. Dad didn't bother looking at the 4 year old, his gaze stayed firmly on the vendor. I shall never forget buying that horse, the property had a mile long gravel drive up to the most amazing house and yard in Penn, Wolverhampton. I was sworn to secrecy not to tell Mum that Dad had spent 2 hours dribbling over another woman.

The vendor insisting on delivering the horse to us so she could be assured he was coming to a nice set up - guess what, Dad had the afternoon off work. I had that wonderful horse 27 years he was simply the best.

I went to a neighbouring farm to buy the above horse oats and came back with a 6 month old colt -- and forgot the oats. Cracking section D who gave me 28 years of fast and furious fun.

I bought another ID from the Embla Stud on a foggy morning at about 200 yards away. I think the one I picked up was the one I wanted ! Either way he was a smashing horse whose life was cut tragically short.

The most successful competition horse is the horse I have now. He was bought with the money from the loss of the Embla horse. I tried him twice at a professional yard and had a niggling feeling he wasn't really suitable for me, but I bought him because he was the only one of at least 20 I had tried that was a balanced ride and was what it said on the tin.

This horse was absolutely miles away, the trying had involved B & B and we drove the lorry down south overnight with a lot of cash hidden in it. The paperwork done and the cash still in my pocket, the dealer said he would load the horse before I paid for him. The horse was a top end competition horse who has travelled miles by road and flown. He planted himself at the bottom of my truck and refused to move a muscle. It was a highly embarrasssing situation for the dealer who insisted the horse had loaded onto his lorry with no issues and to prove it he dropped the ramp and up went the horse.

I was torn as to what to do. Do I walk away or try again ?

We had another go and after I waved a hunting whip at his backside he loaded and I paid for him. I drove the hours home convinced he was not the horse for me. That was back in 2004 and after a week of having him home I hated him and asked the dealer to take him back. The dealer said he would but asked me to keep him a bit longer and give the horse more time to settle. Am I glad he said that, the horse has taken us to Hoy's twice and has been a prolific winner, kind and genuine and I love him dearly.

I have just bought my very last horse and to read about him you will need to search 'My next equine project' thread. This horse is called Ted and somewhat feral. I must be mad.

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
My Irish boy looked rubish! He had been backed and turned away and just left! I felt sorry for him, he had a nice eye abd was quiet...didn't buck me off when I sat on him, even though he hadn't been sat on for god knows how long...and the rest they day is history!

Buds_mum

Visit site
His markings, the amount of bone in his legs and he's sweet face. I bought him as turned 3 had a headcollar on that was all. So he could of turned out to be anything but I knew he was going to my boy from that moment. Even though he was a major impulse buy seeing as I hadn't even advertised my previous horse at the time!
Best decision I ever made, nearly 18 months on and he's never put a hoof out of line :)