When you have a schooling lightbulb!!

CrazyMare

Visit site
We've been schooling, working on being off the aids "now!" not in a moment, staying on the bend, and into the outside rein, not banana-ing around as things catch our attention.

Have been having trouble on the right rein with the left shoulder creeping out particularly in canter, and I initially thought this was due to my weak left side (I had a congenital dislocation, and now struggle with muscle spasms in it, and general weakness), and was beginning to get quite frustrated that we weren't really improving. Happened to ride towards the mirrors on the right rein (the layout of our arena and mirrors means that you don't always go up to them), and noticed that the inside hind kept popping off the straight, and when that happened, the outside shoulder drifted out.

Spent 10-15 minutes working on getting that hind leg following straight behind, popped into canter, and lo and behold! Straight! No drift, no disappearing across the arena. Next session, worked on more straightness, and a huge improvement.

Kicking myself for not thinking of that as a potential cause sooner, but glad we have begun to get on top of it. Just shows that the problem isn't always what you think it is!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I love those lightbulb moments... it's what keeps me going when its cold and dark in the winter :D

Embo

Visit site
I can honestly say that 98% of my lightbulb moments are achieved by correcting a problem with myself :D

Always a good feeling when you make a breakthrough, even if there are self-berating undertones!

JustMe22

Visit site
Out of curiosity, what were you doing in order to work on keeping the inside hind straight? That's the most interesting bit, so spill the beans please! ;)