When your horse rears...

Chestnutter

Visit site
Ii know you don't pull on the reins when your horse rears, and when mine was messing around today just before the rear, i was giving with the reins, i could tell he was going to rear, so when he did, my hands were forwards and not pulling on his mouth.

however, my friend said that would make him go higher and that you shouldn't throw your reins at them,
so if your not meant to give your reins, but your not meant to pull on them, then what are you meant to do when they rear?

Chestnutter

Visit site
Haha! Today was the first time he has ever reared with me, i've been riding him for 18 months now - he just got so over excited!

Irishcobs

Visit site
I hate rearers and will not get on any horse that has a history of rearing how ever small, since I had a horse go up and nearly over with me. The lad riding with me, thought I was going over, he had never seen anything go up so straight.
I just throw my weight forward and pray the horse doesn't come over backwards. I try not to pull on the reins, but I don't throw them at them, just move my hands forward with my body weight.

Chestnutter

Visit site
Wow,
yeah i can see why you won't want to - today was the first time i've ever sat to a rear, but i didn't fall off so i was reasonably happy!
It did happen in slow motion, i swear. Felt like we were both going over backwards.

Thank you, i will bear it in mind if it ever happens again, fingers crossed it doesnt though !

soph21

Visit site
If he does it again, even a small one, If you whack him between the ears with your whip, he'll associate going up with a sore head
tongue.gif

Bear did a small one with me once, put it this way he hasn't done it since!

Elle1085

Visit site
tbh whatever you can do to stay balanced is the best thing i don't think giving the reins will make them go higher though

My_chestnut_mare

Visit site
i had to school a rearer once he. he didnt rear to high and i to the same as sop21 cracked him in between his ears every time he reared as horses dont like to bang their heads hence the reason to hit them between ears hard enough to give them a fright but not to hard to really hurt them.

The highland i rode soon got out of it .

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
My horse sadly often rears. He had gone for a good 5 months without so much as a little one - but every so often him being nappy/ spooky will bring one on. Infact, he left our horse holiday early because he went bolt upright far too many times from excitement.

As you say he hasn't done it the whole time you've had him, maybe it'd be worth to get everything checked over ie saddle etc. I know D is due the chiro which is why I think he's also started acting up again. In answer to your question though!!
grin.gif
I just lean forward and give with my hands ever so slightly

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
while horse is rearing sit as balanced and as still as possible, then spin it in a circle on landing before it has a chance to go up again, certainly wouldnt hit it on the head mid rear - madness IMO!

Have reschooled plenty of rearers and never had the temptation to hit any off them between the ears, know sereral would just go higher if you did and would certainly become unbalanced making them more likely to fall.

archoak

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he does it again, even a small one, If you whack him between the ears with your whip, he'll associate going up with a sore head
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

not really the best solution -considering horses go into pressure

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with Madhector and IMO a very silly thing to do. Keep kicking, spurs help, your horse needs to learn rearing is not acceptable and be made to go forward. My son's horse is an expert rearer and as a 5 yr old went over backwards (son stayed on and calmly jumped off at the last minute
grin.gif
) Some of you may remember this was in the sjing at Upton House. He is always made to go forward and rarely does it now, if you do not feel strong enough ask an experienced friend/instructor to help.

Mbronze

www.cheshirehorsetaxi.weebly.com
I have reschooled my girl as she used to be a very prolific rearer. I found the best advice I ever received was like mh says to spin in a circle, that way they can't get up high as it throws them off balance. My girl literally gave up rearing after about two trials of spinning her around. She does the occasional one now, but I don't ever punish her for it, i just make it difficult for her to do it

Elle1085

Visit site
to be fair if it was the first time he'd reared in 18 months he's probably not going to be a certified rearer, my horse does the occasional rear, nothing dangerous normally just during one of our arguments but i would never hit his head if they're stressed enough to rear then whacking them on the head is only going to further annoy them imo and not only that but with a proper rear its all you can do to hang on never mind anything else

DunRoamin

Visit site
Smacking them between the ears Is NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the way to go about it as it can course even more problems, buzz rears out of excitment/panic, ignore it dont make an issue nd carry on as if nothing has happened the achieve nothing by doing it then they soon learn not to do it again, nd thing u want is a horse that is head shy or has issues with its ears!

connie1288

Visit site
Have to say I agree with Leonardo re what works for one may not work for another. my mare used to be an awful rearer, softly softly, didnt get you anywhere, she just stayed put on her back legs, forwards didnt really work (ie spurs) she then went into a fit of rearing and bucking and general leaping about.
Round and round worked to a certain extent but she still did it daily.
A few well timed wallops between the ears and down the neck and she hardly goes up at all, a slap down the shoulder when she starts hopping, or a punch on the neck, tends to stop it if i catch it in time, ie not today in the middle of a coffin!!!
Oh and she is most defiantly NOT head shy or have any issues with her ears!!

HayleyandBob

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have reschooled my girl as she used to be a very prolific rearer. I found the best advice I ever received was like mh says to spin in a circle, that way they can't get up high as it throws them off balance. My girl literally gave up rearing after about two trials of spinning her around. She does the occasional one now, but I don't ever punish her for it, i just make it difficult for her to do it

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed!
and trying not to pull em over and staying balanced as hard as it is.
X

My_chestnut_mare

Visit site
i didnt have any problems with the horse he did it thro badness nothing came over him and turned out to be the best horse ever.

as i said

Whats good for the gander is not necessarily good for the goose.

It worked for me and solved my problem.

archoak

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Have to say I agree with Leonardo re what works for one may not work for another. my mare used to be an awful rearer, softly softly, didnt get you anywhere, she just stayed put on her back legs, forwards didnt really work (ie spurs) she then went into a fit of rearing and bucking and general leaping about.
Round and round worked to a certain extent but she still did it daily.
A few well timed wallops between the ears and down the neck and she hardly goes up at all, a slap down the shoulder when she starts hopping, or a punch on the neck, tends to stop it if i catch it in time, ie not today in the middle of a coffin!!!
Oh and she is most defiantly NOT head shy or have any issues with her ears!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Crikey
crazy.gif

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Off topic but Leonardo you are spoiling a perfectly good saying

What's sauce for the goose (is sauce for the gander). (British, American & Australian old-fashioned) also What's good for the goose (is good for the gander). (American & Australian old-fashioned)
something that you say to suggest that if a particular type of behaviour is acceptable for one person, it should also be acceptable for another person

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
I don't agree with punishing a horse for being afraid or scared. I would never hit a horse for being frightend. Horses rarely set out to be naughty, they havn't the brain in which to think like that. I would get to the real issue behind it, instead of punishing the horse for feeling like it does.

tilly17

Visit site
My grandfather was in the cavalry, when a horse reared they would smash an egg between his ears (the horses not my grandfathers!) the thinking behind it was that the horse would think it had hit its head and was bleeding. I have never tried this myself and was always curious as to how they managed to carry an egg round with them until it was needed!

My_chestnut_mare

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Off topic but Leonardo you are spoiling a perfectly good saying

What's sauce for the goose (is sauce for the gander). (British, American & Australian old-fashioned) also What's good for the goose (is good for the gander). (American & Australian old-fashioned)
something that you say to suggest that if a particular type of behaviour is acceptable for one person, it should also be acceptable for another person

[/ QUOTE ]

does it really matter

what im meaning is that whilst it may work for some it is not necesserily for other.

god im only trying to input to a bit of the post
confused.gif