Where are all the smaller horses?!

Widgeon

Visit site
So those of you with 15.2/15.3 sensible, quality all rounder types: how are they bred?

Not a clue. Irish bred! That's all I know. He came over as a five year old. He's coloured, I suspect maybe half generic cob and half ISH, or something like that (he has a lovely jump, nice paces and no feather, but is otherwise cob shaped). No name or breeding on his passport. I'd love to know where he came from because I'd go back for another in a few years when he retires!!

mariew

Visit site
Do they command a lower price due to maybe being a leisure riders market rather than a competition market therefore not being as attractive to breed? And as people have mentioned maybe native crosses are not so popular? I personally am not a lover of cobs and they to me seem to be prevalent in the 15hh range. (Not including Connie crosses).

Wishfilly

Visit site
She's my second AA and it really is a fantastic cross. :)

ETA - pics of them both.

Stunning!

Do they command a lower price due to maybe being a leisure riders market rather than a competition market therefore not being as attractive to breed? And as people have mentioned maybe native crosses are not so popular? I personally am not a lover of cobs and they to me seem to be prevalent in the 15hh range. (Not including Connie crosses).

I think you might be on to something here- and perhaps also it takes longer for a horse to become attractive to a leisure rider- not many leisure riders will want to go out and buy a four year old, whereas people will for a competition prospect.

I think if you bred and produced them and sold them at 6ish for 6-8k, there'd be next to no money in it for the breeder.

HorseMaid

Visit site
I have a cob x ID x Arab (33% Arab) mare who's about 15.1, and in my opinion there aren't enough horses like her about. She's a nice medium weight, forward going, clever, fun, comfortable and hasn't had any soundness issues and everyone who rides her loves her. If I could clone her a few times I think I'd make an absolute mint!!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Thanks folks. The bay was particularly attractive in my mind as he had a gulastra plume (grey tail). He was bred the other way around being by a TB and out of an arab. He was always sensible, even as a youngster.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but CM was my first horse after my spinal injury and she has never frightened me in all the years I've had her. She's such a star and has definitely been held back by my crappy riding and physical issues. Having said that, maybe she found her niche because she always picked up the pieces when I was struggling and it does take the right temperament to do that.

Old school

Visit site
Oh, you have me excited now. I have a 4year old filly by an ID, out of an Arab Connie X mare. In other threads on HHO I read about the head tossing that Arabs do. My heart sank as my filly did toss her head frequently. About two weeks ago the equine dentist came to do her teeth. He informed me that she had some very sharp teeth high up inside her left cheek. And he mentioned that there was a hole/tear in her cheek. I am to leave her to recover for 2 weeks. But. ..I notice no head tossing anymore. I could not be that lucky that it resolves itself so easily. Not possible! But I like small horses as they are easier to keep, don't shred the fields so much in winter time, less expensive to haul about and are a more comfortable load to tow. The negative is having to keep an eye on my food intake.

marmalade76

Visit site

I suppose everyone wants to breed a competition horse rather than a leisure horse, hoping for a better return, perhaps? I also think big horses have become the fashion, some people really do (rather childishly) think bigger is better, hence a lot of horses being advertised at a height bigger than they really are. The native x TB seems to have gone out of fashion, as has the arab x, both of which used to be quite common.

There was a nice little RID stallion who was only 15h but I can't remember his name, so the small horse has not died out completely.

spacefaer

Visit site
Rebel Mountain is an Irish draught stallion who seems to throw small draughts

I posted previously about producing smaller RC/PC types for teenagers/small adults. Most were Welsh sec D x TB. They were fab but generally too perky for the market.
The most successful one I produced was bought as a very feral 2 yr old from a hill near Abergavenny. He was the product of a Welsh sec C mare by a neighbour's colt who was TB x Cleveland Bay.
My lad was a very smart, dark brown chap who turned into a 15.3hh ultimate all rounder. Sold him for 5.5k at a time when his equivalent in 16.2 was making 7-8k.
It was a fun project but commercially, not worth the time it took to make him nice. I sold him aged 6 with everything done, ready to rock and roll with his new owner

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I also think big horses have become the fashion, some people really do (rather childishly) think bigger is better, hence a lot of horses being advertised at a height bigger than they really are. The native x TB seems to have gone out of fashion, as has the arab x, both of which used to be quite common.

I definitely think there is some truth in this, I feel a lot of people think big horses are more impressive. My retired mare is 16.2hh and having ridden lots of smaller horses on trips away I wouldn’t ever plan to have another so big and would aim for 15.2hh (I’m 5’8”). I’m not in the market but often look at sales ads just out of interest and there do seem to be a lot more options for bigger or smaller.

Bernster

Visit site
Rebel Mountain is an Irish draught stallion who seems to throw small draughts

I posted previously about producing smaller RC/PC types for teenagers/small adults. Most were Welsh sec D x TB. They were fab but generally too perky for the market.
The most successful one I produced was bought as a very feral 2 yr old from a hill near Abergavenny. He was the product of a Welsh sec C mare by a neighbour's colt who was TB x Cleveland Bay.
My lad was a very smart, dark brown chap who turned into a 15.3hh ultimate all rounder. Sold him for 5.5k at a time when his equivalent in 16.2 was making 7-8k.
It was a fun project but commercially, not worth the time it took to make him nice. I sold him aged 6 with everything done, ready to rock and roll with his new owner

Rebel mountain is by huntingfield rebel who is Finnegan’s dad - I really like that line. Lots of cracking HR horses out there inc lots of all rounders.

It’s a bit weird that bigger horses are more expensive when they’re not necessarily any better, or any better suited to a rider, but I‘ve certainly noticed the desire for tall and big moving dressage horses. it does also seem like native breeds aren’t in fashion so there’s fewer of those around at the smaller heights.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
So those of you with 15.2/15.3 sensible, quality all rounder types: how are they bred?

I have just bought a 3 year old who will mature at that height, with a passport showing no parentage. I'm trying to find out, but no luck so far. I don't think people are deliberate breeding much in that height range, they are tending to be accidents/throwbacks or casual breeding. If you breed carefully, there's a bigger market for 16hh plus, so I can see why.

I wonder if this will change as today's young people continue to get both taller and heavier and oldrr children need something bigger than a pony?

Last edited:

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Rebel mountain is by huntingfield rebel who is Finnegan’s dad - I really like that line. Lots of cracking HR horses out there inc lots of all rounders.

It’s a bit weird that bigger horses are more expensive when they’re not necessarily any better, or any better suited to a rider, but I‘ve certainly noticed the desire for tall and big moving dressage horses. it does also seem like native breeds aren’t in fashion so there’s fewer of those around at the smaller heights.
I have a 2 year old RID chestnut gelding with Fintan Himself/Huntingfield Rebel in his line and he is not going to exceed 15.2 in all probability but he is super looking, intelligent and funny.

Bernster

Visit site
I have a 2 year old RID chestnut gelding with Fintan Himself/Huntingfield Rebel in his line and he is not going to exceed 15.2 in all probability but he is super looking, intelligent and funny.

Very nice ID breeding in there ?

I was thinking whether part of the tall/big horse thing is also linked to heavier riders, although some of those gangly 16.3s don’t look like weight bearers to me ?‍♀️

tatty_v

Visit site
I have two part bred Connies. No idea what one of them is crossed with (maybe Welsh? He came from wales originally and has a beautiful action in trot) - 15hh on the dot, although I’m sure he’s shrinking with age! The new boy is Connie x ID - 15.2hh.

dixie

Visit site

My 15.2hh is by Rebel Flagmount out of Huntingfield Rebel. I've only had him a month but is already proving bold but safe and very good looking, but I'm biased !
I don't know much about those lines, so would be interesting to hear of more.

Squeak

Visit site
I had two irish horses one was 15hh and one was 15.3. Would have loved to know what their breeding was but they were small competition horse types. Both were absolute crackers and could jump the side of a house.

marmalade76

Visit site
Just been looking through Horsequest today (as I've decided to sell the little Arab because he's too good & will be wasted on me and the cob will have to go back to his owner 'cause he chucks people off for fun so will need another) and I'm utterly shocked at the prices! Two 16yo schoolmasters at just under £6k each, 4yo gypsy cobs at £4k! Anything else (except ex racehorses) £6k and up and up. It's three years since I last bought so not that long ago! The one consolation is that the one I've got to sell is probably worth a lot more than I thought ?

GinaGeo

Visit site
I’ve got a really useful 15.2hh bay Welsh DxTb gelding. He’s not fashionably bred but has been a super horse for me. His breeder tried to repeat the breeding but ended up with chestnut fillies that made 14.2hh instead of the 15.2hh bay geldings she was after ?

He’s a super all rounder and would be plenty of horse for most people. He’s done dressage to Medium, when he jumped he’d jump 1m10 courses. And he was placed at BE100.

He now does Side Saddle to National level and is a 100% trustworthy hack.

He also isn’t going anywhere and I bought him as untouched feral three year old. I don’t think you’d normally see his type on the open market as an older horse. He’s too useful.

I bought an Anglo Arab from the same stud as the first came from as my next ‘little’ horse. He’s 16.1hh now, but is a little 16.1hh, very compact. Another nice cross.

Bernster

Visit site

Just seen a 3yo with the same breeding advertised on Facebook. 15.2h now though so suspect he will grow a fair bit more.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
My smaller horse (15.3-16hh under a stick and not chunky at all) is a Knab x tb

She is also the most perfect horse in the world (including perfect size). And I'm not even biased ?

IMG20210403151336.jpg

In another 5 or so years I think there will be more smaller horses available because I think the market is going that way, but 5 years ago warmbloods were very much where it was at because they had become accessible to a lot of the market, so that's what people were breeding and producing. Plainly bred small horses could be picked up for a pittance as youngsters a few years back - nobody really wanted them.

Elno

Visit site

Mine is from Lithuania. Pure bred Large Samagotian/Large type Zemaitukai

(Ignore the mud ? The pics were taken yesterday to show my boyfriend why I would be late home ?)

Attachments

• IMG_20210426_203612_963.jpg
    IMG_20210426_203612_963.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210426_203613_101.jpg
    IMG_20210426_203613_101.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Mine is from Lithuania. Pure bred Large Samagotian/Large type Zemaitukai

(Ignore the mud ? The pics were taken yesterday to show my boyfriend why I would be late home ?)

They look very TB, (and he is lovely! ) what's the breed temperament like?