where do i start looking?

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
my horse is off for the winter due to lameness and we found out he is only 4 so decided he needs a rest for the winter anyway.

so have decided to get a "project horse" for the winter, to bring on and then sell on. something young that has the ability etc. but i dont know where to start looking? i dont really like horse sales but is that the best bet?

thanks x

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
oh cool thanks, not heard of this website before
laugh.gif

Iestyn

Visit site
I would look for a 4 yr old so that you can take it out and do some competing over the winter so that you have a competition record to sell them with.

I wouldn't buy a horse to sell on from ads such as projecthorses.co.uk. Usually these horses have problems that need one to one attention and permanent homes. Buying such a horse as a "project" wouldn't be a good idea - I certainly wouldn't want to pay a "good" price for something if I knew it had had issues in the past with no guarantee that they won't return. I would also think (if you're an honest seller) that many people would be put off by the fact that it had had issues in the past and that would limit your market quite considerably. You would then find you can't ask as much as you would hope (to cover cost and time) and end up actually making a loss.

I find www.horsemart.co.uk quite good for picking up nice, reasonable horses. I would think that you are looking for a nice 15'2 - 16'1 RC allrounder to sell on as a 5 yr old - you'll be able to pick that sort up fairly green at a fairly good price, but still able to add value if they are sane and sensible as well.