Where do sensible, competent people look for horses on loan?

Jesstickle

Visit site
Is there any way at all to loan a horse and avoid every 13 year old and novice in a 200 mile radius from contacting you?

I am weighing up my options and just wondered if this is anyway possible. My patience with idiots is pretty non existent sadly.

webble

Visit site
The best way is a good ad. Put what you are looking for in it, maybe word it more politely but over 18s experienced and reliable etc should help attract the right people

Word of mouth is often the best option. Ask your farrier if he knows of anyone looking

dixie

Visit site
I found my loan horse on Horsequest.
I'm over 40, so definitely not a teenager! The horse was a 5yr old with lots of potential but no experience - and a very nice horse he is too.
I looked mainly at Horsequest as the nicer types seem to be on here, rather than happy hackers.

Firewell

Visit site
I put an ad on HQ for my old horse and I was inundated. The phone absolutely rang off the hook and I had my pick of amazing homes with fantastic riders.
I did do a really nice ad as well with lots of info and a glossy picture of her jumping.

YardGeek

Visit site
My last horse was a lease sort of thing, basically I was given a horse to keep as my own and school/compete for the owner who was unable to get the best out of the horse. That was all through word of mouth, I was in the right place at the right time and had enough people who recommended me :D
My current two rides are due to my trainer recommending me to one of her other clients :)

All the successful loans I know have been through word of mouth/recommendation.

Matafleur

Visit site
I think it helps if you have something nice to offer if you want someone experienced too. For example I am not brilliant by any means but I am competent and (mostly :D ) sensible. I was looking for a loan at the start of the year and just wrote on my facebook that I wanted something without even looking seriously. I was offered about 5 really nice horses, most of which were out or ready to start competing. I now have a very nice 5 yr old on loan (who is also for sale) who will easily go Novice eventing at the end of this season if I have the time.

My point is that I had the pick of that many horses without even making any effort and I have a friend who was in a similar position a year or so ago.

So I think it depends on the horse you have for loan but the best way is always word of mouth, put Facebook to work if you are on there. :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
I don't think she'd be much interest to anyone I am friends with on Facebook as she is so little (15.2 and a slight TB with it) but no harm in asking around I guess.

It's sell or loan and I'm not even sure which of those I am leaning towards at the moment :(

dixie

Visit site
My loan horse is 15.2hh and slight with it.
I'm a leggy 5ft 8 and always had horses over 16hh at least, preferably around 16.3hh.

I would never had tried this horse to buy as he was too small (he was advertised at 15.3 warmblood and I thought he would be chunky). However, I loaned him as he was a nice type and in fact I would buy him now as although little he rides big and has a big jump. So it was a good learning experience in the size department!

Suziq77

Visit site
I don't think she'd be much interest to anyone I am friends with on Facebook as she is so little (15.2 and a slight TB with it) but no harm in asking around I guess.

It's sell or loan and I'm not even sure which of those I am leaning towards at the moment :(

I'd love to steal her for a bit but I don't have my own land and I can't afford livery for 3 :( She's lovely, if anyone mentions looking for a loan to me I will let you know......

Firewell

Visit site
My horse was a little 15.2hh grey TB mare. She was 9 and had done lots of everything competing wise with me including bsja and was safe but she had her little quirks.
I was very happy that I had attracted the right market with my ad through horsequest. She was a bright, fun, sensitive little horse and I wanted a l/w decent young adult rider for her from a knowledgeable horsie background and I really did have my pick.
:)

Lolo

Visit site
Local PC branches? You get the older members like Al who can't fund a horse to buy but can fund the running/ care of them...

We've found ours through word of mouth (Reg) and desperately trawling the free ads/ Horsequest/ Horsemart (every other horse we've owned).

I think you'll loan her fairly easily. She's very smart, she's got a good basic education, especially for her age, she's unspoilt and from the videos you've posted has a really nice jump and good paces. We'd have taken your hand off a few weeks ago...

Jesstickle

Visit site
She'd probably love to be a grown up person's PC horse. Lolo, don't tell me that! Aghh! If she could find an Al of her own that would be so perfect. She's such a sweety, I am just completely hopeless! lol