Where do you feels safest?

Peglo

Visit site
So after a comment on another thread that I didn’t want to hijack I am wondering if you feel safer on your horse or leading if you got into difficulty?

For me personally I would rather get off and lead Tali. She’s very nice to work with on the ground and never strong and she’s braver when I’m there with her. But with Flo, my TB, I would always rather’d be on her than lead her. I would never have gotten off as I didn’t have as much control in hand. So it’s got me wondering if it’s dependent for other people too or if they always have a preference?

Peglo

Visit site
On every time. I'd be worried about getting squashed walking next to a very stressed horse.

Interesting. I’ve never felt unsafe walking next to either of my haflingers. It’s got me thinking of their responses. When Tali’s spooked a couple of times she’s turned her head towards me so I’ve felt secure with her.
Must admit I don’t recall my old haffie so much as raising an eyebrow at anything.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
On, just about every time.
If things are very dangerous imho, then I've been known to hop off once in a blue moon (last time was a light aircraft overshooting the runway!) but these days I'm not agile about getting back on, also a wonky ankle prevents me from walking too far.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Depends on the horse for me. If my Welsh was erupting then if I could get off (not always possible ?) then I could de-escalate anything because she trusts me 100% on the ground. You can't *make* her do anything under saddle but she'll pretty much do whatever I ask in hand.

With the new chap I think I'm better on top because his ground manners are a work in progress ?

Others have been a mixture.

Mrs B

Visit site
On. About 99.4% of the time.

However .... ? ... 3 weeks ago, I was riding along our tiny road in the forest (think narrow lane, over-hanging trees, steep slope on one side) when 2 full-length logging lorries with trailers behind approached us, lights on.

H really doesn't like big stuff approaching, even if there's room to manoeuvre and as they rounded the bend, I felt his courage leave him and fly somewhere towards Mars. Or possibly beyond ... :oops:

It would have been more dangerous for me to have stayed in the plate, when I knew my presence on the ground could help him most. And us. It did.

I hopped off. He plunged right and left but stayed with me.

I hopped on again (he's only 15.1hh!) and he calmly recovered himself and we mooched off home ...

Auslander

Visit site
With 99.9% of horses, I would stay on. Except for my own, who I have no hesitation in hopping off when he has his annual meltdown. Once I feel the shutters come crashing down between his brain and me - I have no desire to stay on board!

SEL

Visit site
Appy I get off. She looks to me for confidence and on the ground will stay with me. Haven't always had the same success on board.

I usually stay on the microcob but despite her age she hasn't many miles on the clock so if I think getting off will help then I'll hop off. That's really helped her confidence - plus she's only 13h so getting back on is easy ?

oldie48

Visit site
Totally depends on the horse and the situation but I've found most of my horses have had very good manners on the ground and I've been able to lead them past anything but schooling is a different matter and I'll stay on (if |I can!) and try to de-escalate the situation. tbh when there's a trainer on the ground I'm much braver and with support I'll do my best to ride through the situation.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Foinavon is better in hand than under saddle so I have jumped off, which has helped de-escalate. But when I had Gypsum, I bailed twice in the 21 years we were together (in fairness, once involved cross country skiers and a lot of ice, and if she was going to hit the deck, I didn’t want to be on) and regretted it. Far better to stay on. Usually.

HorseMaid

Visit site
Most of the time I stay on.... But last week I got off. A small bridge has been repaired by us, over a little river, pedestrians and horses are allowed to cross but its been done with heavy duty grippy planks almost like decking and they're quite noisy when crossing. My mare did NOT want to, and she isn't the nappy type, so I got off and led rather than possibly end up in the river if she did a big leap or anything stupid, there's a main road between there and the yard too if she bogged off home. I led her back and forth over it a few times then got back on.

Boulty

Visit site
I think it depends on the horse tbh. The orange one was definitely better with me on the floor if he was panicking so that I could protect him from the monsters & he'd follow me past things happily on the ground that he'd be unsure of ridden. But he was mostly very good at staying in his own space & wasn't generally one for running people over or pulling away from you.

Pony I had as a teenager was definitely much safer to be on board to avoid being squished. Definitely had better ridden manners & could get a bit bargey on the ground.

Fuzzball obv I'm not sure yet & I've done a lot of inhand hacking with him. I get the feeling that due to how strong he is & that using that strength to pull away is something he sometimes does try (& he also doesn't grasp that any other living thing has any personal space... This applies to other horses, dogs, chickens, cats etc not just people) he might become one that I prefer to be sat on top of.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I'll stay on unless my horse is really, really scared (rare ) in which case I'll get off and lead past rather than have an argument on the road . He will always lead nicely and let me get back on.