Where do you keep your keys??

sarahann1

Visit site
Hello all, random, probably very daft question but I'll ask it anyway...

I'm now lucky enough to be able to go out competing, but I'll mainly be on my own. Where do folk keep their car keys? Mine are to chunky to fit neatly in a show jacket pocket?

Today I basically left everything open and the keys chucked on the passenger seat, but that was at a RC comp with only folk I know at it, I can't do that at bigger/busier comps!

doodle

Visit site
I put them on the little hook at the front of the trailer under the haynet! Not terribly secure but my jacket dosnt have pockets

Ella19

Visit site
Hide them somewhere, hope you spot a friend with helpful other half in tow or last resort beg the poor secretary to hold onto them for half an hour!

DirectorFury

Visit site
Take car key off bunch, put car key on piece of string around neck/inside pocket while also looped round belt loop. Lock other bunch of keys in car. For even more convenience get a key for the door cut (Timsons will do them for <£5) without an immob chip and keep that on its own for the string, and lock the main car/ignition key in the car with the rest of the bunch.

Please don't use one of those stupid key safes that hang off the towing eye, they can be broken into in under 10 seconds if you know what you're doing. Your insurance also won't pay out as the thieves will have the keys.

turnbuckle

Visit site
if giving to a secretary sign a piece of paper rip it in half and she is only to give them to the person who gives her the other half

And then only if they have greet her by saying "I find the weather in Prague warm at this time of year" (obv can't use that one any longer for reasons of opsec, but you get the idea) :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I would never ride with a key anywhere about my person - terribly dangerous if you get stabbed with it in a fall!

Lock box in the trailer a good idea. Otherwise hide it somewhere.

twiggy2

Visit site
What I love about this forum is the variety, we have gone from....
Leave everything open with the keys in full view to...
Torn paper to match up and secret codes to
Have a string round your throat with a stab risk next to your heart to...
Never ride with a key on my person

Made me smile on this Sunday morning.
Love you all and your individuality

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Take the car key off the bunch, lock the rest in the car and keep car key in my show jacket or breeches pocket, all of them have zips.

That's what I always did when competing alone too. I always wear my air jacket now which is the gilet style type. Has a handy key/phone zipped pocket.

Greylegs

Visit site
Definitely remove car key from bunch, then get one of those lightweight organiser belts for runners. (Search on Amazon). They are light and discreet and could easily be worn under a show jacket or even inside a shirt, to hold a key safely. Lock to remaining keys in car, preferably in the glove box out of sight.

Jnhuk

Visit site
Also have been known to clip a single key to a ring on the saddle using a carabiner so secure but if your horse leaves you somewhere then that not so good!

Other frequently used options include using a keysafe but usually stashing the main lot somewhere in the horsebox living and then popping the small living key on my person but I do chose my pocket carefully. Have bought one of those runner belts recently but not used it yet

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You can pick up a key safe off ebay for around £10 to fix to your trailer/lorry & only be opened with the combination. A cheaper thing is a magnetic key box. You put your keys in it & then tuck it under a wing on your car, against the chassis of your trailer, against anything metal. These are really cheap & will do the job.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-2-Lar...356678?hash=item1ebad23306:g:iZYAAOSwnbZYEML3

catkin

Visit site
most of my breeches have a small key pocket on the inside up by the waistband - I just put a single key in that. Do the same if going out hacking or hacking to a show.

Carlosmum

Visit site
I have a lockable tack box on the trailer, it has a combination lock, so keys go in there. Very much depends where I am as to whether I lock up but I never leave keys in ignition. If I have boxed out to ride I also leave keys in tack locker, I would hate them to fall out of a pocket whilst I was in the middle of nowhere!

Iwantakitten

Visit site
My OH has a similar problem in that he is a surfer and when he goes down to the beach by himself, he obviously can't keep his car key in his wetsuit while he is in the water. He has a special padlock that has a combination on it and attaches it to something in his wheel arch. Google surfer key lock and lots of options come up.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Hello all, random, probably very daft question but I'll ask it anyway...

I'm now lucky enough to be able to go out competing, but I'll mainly be on my own. Where do folk keep their car keys? Mine are to chunky to fit neatly in a show jacket pocket?

Today I basically left everything open and the keys chucked on the passenger seat, but that was at a RC comp with only folk I know at it, I can't do that at bigger/busier comps!

Only just my new horsebox but I have a safe built in my box so most keys go in there and any left I bury in my horses haynet while i go of competing

claracanter

Visit site
I hide them in a travel boot and leave in the back of the trailer. If I put it in the front of the trailer, the car stays open as its a smart key!

sarahann1

Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

I'm one of those who hates riding with keys in case I stab myself when I fall off, glad I'm not the only one who worries about this!

The surfers locks look ideal, I can hide it somewhere in my trailer so it's not obvious to opportunistic thieves.

Now I just need to be more organised and get my valuables back in the car before I get on....

Orangehorse

Visit site
Do you remember that post a few years ago about a girl who went for a hack and put her keys in a bum bag. She started trotting, and her normally quiet horse took off in fright at the noise and she galloped over the local golf course before she could pull him up. Bit of a warning there.

Good suggestions from everyone.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Do you remember that post a few years ago about a girl who went for a hack and put her keys in a bum bag. She started trotting, and her normally quiet horse took off in fright at the noise and she galloped over the local golf course before she could pull him up. Bit of a warning there.

Good suggestions from everyone.

Always fancied a gallop over a golf course. Sounds like a likely story. :D

Tnavas

Visit site
Get one of those magnetic boxes and put your keys in it, then attach it somewhere out of sight but easy to reach. I also use combination locks for my tack room, then I don't have to worry about keys.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I balance mine on a handy shelf over the rear wheel of the lorry, out of sight. Or.......if you in a hurry because your late, just leave them in the ignition and forget about them. Either should work :D

Sealine

Visit site
I remove the remote control fob that unlocks the car from the keyring. I put the bunch of keys in the glove compartment. Lock the car with the fob and put it in my jodhpur or jacket pocket.

WelshD

Visit site
I leave mine in the ignition with the engine running in the wild hope that someone will steal the damn thing

Annagain

Visit site
While I'm riding I leave mine hidden in the car and leave the car open. I figure by the time they've closed up the trailer ramps and found the keys someone will have spotted them as I usually park up next to friends and only really go to small shows where I know most people.

If I'm having a wander, obviously I take them with me and do NOT leave them on the bonnet then spend an hour in a panic thinking I've dropped them frantically searching every bit of grass I've walked on until a friend spots them....not at all.....nope, never done that :eek: