Where do you keep your passports?

SirBrastias

Visit site
Where do you keep your horse's passports for those of you who don't keep your horses at home, but say on a livery yard or similar?

Do you leave your passports on the yard or keep them at home? For those that keep them at home (or vice versa) would you give a copy for the yard to keep?

I know passports are needed to travel, would a photocopy be sufficient or does it need to be the original?

oldie48

Visit site
I think it should be kept on the yard with horse so in an emergency the horse could be travelled. My horses are at home and I keep the passport in my lorry so I've always got it with me when travelling but when Rose goes up to my trainer for schooling, the passport stays with her.

Shay

Visit site
Technically they should be on the yard with the person who has "Care & Control". In practice - They live in a dedicated box which gets grabbed every time the trailer goes out. It can mean I have more passports than horses but everything transported has a passport in case of breakdown etc. I would not want to have to find the YO in the middle of the night to get a passport for a stupid early start or in an emergency. And I only live 2 minutes from the yard..

vickie123

Visit site
My horses are kept at home and I keep them on the lorry. 2 are out competing on a regular basis and the other horses’ passports are on the lorry in case of a vet emergency.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Where do you keep your horse's passports for those of you who don't keep your horses at home, but say on a livery yard or similar?

Do you leave your passports on the yard or keep them at home? For those that keep them at home (or vice versa) would you give a copy for the yard to keep?

I know passports are needed to travel, would a photocopy be sufficient or does it need to be the original?
My liveries keep them in their allocated chest freezers or their plastic drawer shelves . I keep mine in their individual box files

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Mine are in folder close to front door at home. I pop the required one into the 'horsebox handbag' every time I am going out.

I def wouldn't permanently leave at yard or in car/box in case of theft or damage.

I have photocopies at yard, but to be honest they are from last summer so already out of date as flu jabs all done over winter.

Equi

Visit site
Usually in my room or in the car. I would not like to leave it at the yard in case it got lost, and by lost i mean i loose it lol

Antw23uk

Visit site
When on livery it was with the yard owner but now they are at home they are in the home office BUT I should put them in the car as plan to be out lots this year so makes sense to have them on hand especially as a few venues round here are checking passports because of the flue outbreak.

irishdraft

Visit site
My horses are at home so passports live in landrover as rescue service will not recover horses home without passport .

windand rain

Visit site
when we had a lorry we had a safe in it to keep them now they are in the glove compartment of the tow car we use the car to visit daily

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My passports are at home, as are my horses now but even when I only had one at livery it stayed at home bacause I once had to give one to a yard owner and they lost it! I was gutted, not because I had to pay for a new one but because it had his racing travel history inside it.

Nasicus

Visit site
Passports are kept at home in dedicated Horse Documents folder. Horses on a private rented yard 2 mins drive away, and I don't have transport, so by the time any emergency transport could get here, I could either shoot home and get it or ask someone at home to drive it up.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Kept at home in pet cupboard.
Only one yard requested they be kept there and that was when they became mandatory.
One yard requested a photocopy of front page and possibly flu page.
6 other yards have not asked of ponies even have passports.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Our field and stables are 1/2 mile from our house and passports are kept at home in a drawer with the trailer keys. Even when on livery passport was never asked for by YO or kept at the yard.

Visit site
What happens if the passport has never been changed to new owners name and address, and you are two down the line . IS the whole system even enforceable any more. Ive never been asked to produce a passport while traveling a horse, or by a vet.