Visit site
We have trawled through:
H&H,
Horsemart
Horse Deals
Horse Quest
Pony Club

We have even delved into Preloved & DD

And still can't find anything that ticks our boxes within a 2 hour drive - at least not that is still for sale/ answering phone/ responding to emails.

Thee must be somewhere else we can look

hairycob

Visit site
TBH when we have looked before I have got fed up of wasting a whole day driving miles to see something that wasn't as described - often not even the size. Only just started looking & as we are fairly central 2 hours covers a fair amount of the country.

Bede

Visit site
Have you tried just asking around- tack shop, feed shop, vet, farrier, physio etc etc.
Someone may have something that they don't want to advertise

PorkChop

Visit site
I've had success with placing a wanted ad online before - why don't you post on here what you are looking for, you never know :)

Stroppy Mare

Visit site
Have you tried just asking around- tack shop, feed shop, vet, farrier, physio etc etc.
Someone may have something that they don't want to advertise

I got my new girl via word of mouth - she was about 1.5hrs away but a friend had my girls half brother. Breeder doesn't tend to advertise per se, only word of mouth and the occasional comment on FB.

EmmaC78

Visit site
Might be worth looking at some of the Facebook pages for your area. It can be a bit time consuming trying to find the good ones but there are some surprisingly nice ones on there. There are also some breed specific pages on there if you are looking for a particular type.

hihosilver

Visit site
It is so hard and often can be dangerous! I gave up and was recommended a very good dealer. I now have the horse of my dreams and so have lots of people that I have also purchased horses from her. I would never go and see a private owned horse now unless it was word of mouth. Buying a horse is a lottery.

hairycob

Visit site
Frustrating isn't it. If we had been able to stay at our old yard that wouldn't have been a problem. But then we wouldn't be replacing a dead horse so we wouldn't have been looking.

hairycob

Visit site
We've been recommended a couple of dealers that we may well go to next weekend. Both are typically 2 hours + in opposite directions. There is a smallish dealer locally, have talked to them & they only have mares of the right type. We phoned about 5 horses yesterday - 1 already sold, 1 had done a heck of a lot for a 5yo & 3 left voice messages &/or emailed but haven't come back to us.

hairycob

Visit site
If it helps with ideas we are looking for 15.2 -16 gelding. 4-7 years (could go to 16.1 if mature). For SJ & Hunter Trials, RC sort. Would rather have a green horse than one that has high mileage for it's age. Son not keen on pure TBs, likes the ride but prefers something a bit wider. IDxTB would be ideal. Budget £3.5k.

Runaground

Visit site
Sorry to hear you're having difficulty, but, ....

ME TOO!!! So very frustrating, been looking for nearly two months have what I think is a reasonable budget and also looking for RC type. Everything seems to be with a dealer and or too young or is way over budget, ( I mean ,8k +) with ott affiliated record to match or a full tb or in Cornwall, Yorkshire or somewhere as far flung!!

I'm hoping it's just as it's summer and they are all being used. Get off my horse right now and hand it over!! (well advertise it at least) There seems to be, or have been, loads of young idxtb types at dealers, but, very rarely see any a bit older for sale privately...........what happens to them all?

Sorry just needed to vent! Somebody tell me lots will come on the market in a week or two!?!

EmmaC78

Visit site
If it helps with ideas we are looking for 15.2 -16 gelding. 4-7 years (could go to 16.1 if mature). For SJ & Hunter Trials, RC sort. Would rather have a green horse than one that has high mileage for it's age. Son not keen on pure TBs, likes the ride but prefers something a bit wider. IDxTB would be ideal. Budget £3.5k.

I am looking for basically the same sort of thing. I think that must be where the problem lies :) I am going to look at two tomorrow so really hoping one is suitable.

hairycob

Visit site
I suspect that too. I also guess that in the middle of the country potential buyers can come from all direction but if you are by the coast there is a smaller area to draw buyers from so they get snapped up quicker in the middle. It is frustrating though when 60% of the horses you have left both a voice mail & an email about have not come back.

asmp

Visit site
Last edited:

JJS

Visit site
You could try Horses4Homes. Although most people probably expect that the horses on there all have issues, I got a lovely, healthy 6 year old TB x Conny, who has the most phenomenal jump I've ever come across. He was sold completely honestly, which makes a change, and I've not had a single problem with him so far. It might be worth taking a look.