Where have all the sharers gone?

Jojoba

Visit site
I'm looking for a sharer or loaner for my horse, and there seems to be a complete lack of riders around! I've advertised him in the past and always had plenty of interest, even if it was sometimes unsuitable. But this time it's silence and tumbleweeds.
He's viceless and well behaved. The fee I want is nominal when I compare it to what some others are after. I'm totally flexible on days, happy to take people competing, he's kept on a yard with good facilities (although you do really need to be able to drive) and is only 20 mins out of Edinburgh.... Apart from his size (he's a large native) there's anything wrong with him I can see to put people off.
Has anyone else noticed this? Are less people riding? More buying their own horses? Or is the market flooded with loan horses (this looks like it may be possible from how many I see advertised)? I'm at my wits end trying to find someone!

Last edited:

Jingleballs

Visit site
I agree! When I advertised for a sharer at my last yard I had loads of interest. This time there has been very little and those that did enquire were time wasters.

Mine is also a well behaved boy but no one seems interested.

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Where about outside Edinburgh are you? I know a couple of people who are casually looking!

That being said, I know of one person who is looking for a share but has a total over confident idea of her ability, so nothing coming up for share is 'good enough' for her, so she's away to buy something - probably totally inappropriate - all to herself. Are people just getting more selfish?

Jojoba

Visit site
Maybe they are, I think that people are less willing to muck in and help out than they used to be... I'm south east near Pathhead so not far out at all. Excellent facilities, horse is 14hh 11yo fell pony. PM me if you know of anyone, up to about 10st, because I'm having no luck at all!

daydreamer

Visit site
I used to share and still keep half an eye on adverts just to be nosy. I know this isn't the case with the OP but a lot of the adverts I see are for "an experienced rider" to help with a horse that is young/green/needs bringing on/good but quirky so not a novice ride etc. So they seem to expect you to school their horse and pay them to do so. Not very appealing to most people!

I also think that once you have a reputation as a good sharer when one share ends you get offered another through word of mouth, especially if you are on a big yard so I suspect good sharers don't look at adverts quite so much.

Also I think a lot more people find sharers/riders through facebook groups so maybe people aren't checking websites/notice boards as much.

Jojoba

Visit site
I've advertised on the FB groups, Gumtree, preloved, equine adverts and also emailed local riding clubs, uni riding clubs etc, all to no avail! Have also asked all horsey people I know and asked my farrier too. I used to get enough enquiries that I could be picky a few years ago, but not anymore. Next step is contacting decent riding schools and advert in tack shop. Then giving up :p.

Kat_Bath

Visit site
I'm a potential sharer willing to muck out relocating to Scotland very soon and I'm a nice person and reliable so we do exist. This sounds really big headed...
That said, I'm going to be Glasgow way and I'm 11 stone so sadly, I'm not what you're looking for but good luck though - hope you find someone soon :)

kirstyfk

Visit site
I've been keeping my eye out for a horse to ride but sadly I'm too heavy for your one. Where have you been advertising as I can't see anything available?

Jojoba

Visit site
Gumtree, preloved, equine adverts and several of the local horsey FB pages? Where have you been looking?
There's a small amount of flexibility in the weight limit if you aren't far off!

Jnhuk

Visit site
I have given up advertising looking for someone to help exercise my hubby's ISH due to not finding the right person. I am not even looking for a financial contribution just someone who knows what they are doing, have their own transport, able to tack up and hack out or school on their own without any direct supervision and is willing to maybe help out a little with some field management. In return they get to ride a fun, well schooled horse who is an excellent hack and very sensible lad with even opportunity to go on outings/shows etc... but just no joy recently so given up advertising.

Word of mouth is the best way and how I found one lady who is helping me now several years ago but the only issue is that she can only do one day a week during school term time.

Good luck with it and don't know how folks who have quirky horses ever find anyone!

Jnhuk

Visit site
I have given up advertising looking for someone to help exercise my hubby's ISH due to not finding the right person. I am not even looking for a financial contribution just someone who knows what they are doing, have their own transport, able to tack up and hack out or school on their own without any direct supervision and is willing to maybe help out a little with some field management. In return they get to ride a fun, well schooled horse who is an excellent hack and very sensible lad with even opportunity to go on outings/shows etc... but just no joy recently so given up advertising.

Word of mouth is the best way and how I found one lady who is helping me now several years ago but the only issue is that she can only do one day a week during school term time.

Good luck with it and don't know how folks who have quirky horses ever find anyone!

Kat_Bath

Visit site

Whereabouts are you based?

Jnhuk

Visit site
I am sure you will find someone Glasgow way. If you end up Renfrewshire way let me know as still know a few horsey folks out that way. The east is dryer ! LOL

Lysi101

New User
Visit site
I'm looking for a sharer or loaner for my horse, and there seems to be a complete lack of riders around! I've advertised him in the past and always had plenty of interest, even if it was sometimes unsuitable. But this time it's silence and tumbleweeds.
He's viceless and well behaved. The fee I want is nominal when I compare it to what some others are after. I'm totally flexible on days, happy to take people competing, he's kept on a yard with good facilities (although you do really need to be able to drive) and is only 20 mins out of Edinburgh.... Apart from his size (he's a large native) there's anything wrong with him I can see to put people off.
Has anyone else noticed this? Are less people riding? More buying their own horses? Or is the market flooded with loan horses (this looks like it may be possible from how many I see advertised)? I'm at my wits end trying to find someone!

Are you still looking for someone for your horse? I am a rider looking for a horse to ride :)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
just to put the other side ...... i have just retired my horse but still have her....i am an experienced competent rider, very reliable, and wouldnt overhorse myself as i know what i am capable of...HOWEVER, round me people want their horse mucked out, groomed, tack cleaned , and horse fed and turned out so owner has the whole day off AND want money as well. sorry even if i had the money(every penny goes on my broken horse!!) i wouldnt be interested.....years ago people were only too happy if you exercised their horse and gave the tack a quick wipe over and no other jobs were expected or money.....i will wait till my girl is no more and try and find a horse to full loan... money is in very short supply for lots of us so there maybe someone who would tick all your boxes and would be happy to do all of the jobs but may not be able to afford to pay..

Jojoba

Visit site
Lysi101 - yes still looking!
Splashgirl45 - yep that's exactly what I want; someone to have the experience of having their own horse (including grooming, tack cleaning etc) at a hugely discounted rate and without the full responsibility of ownership. Money is in short supply for me too, hence if I'm giving them my horse to treat as their own up to 5 days a week and paying the livery, insurance, vets bills, teeth, feet, feed, bedding etc it's not unreasonable to ask for something back. Wish I'd grown up where you were years ago - back when I was a kid we paid £35 a week for me to loan a riding school horse. I could ride it every day (around lessons) and was also expected to do all of its care, to teach me about horses! All my sharers have always paid, although I agree if you are looking for someone spectacular who is going to teach your horse it should be free if mutually beneficial, or you should be paying them.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Lysi101 - yes still looking!
Splashgirl45 - yep that's exactly what I want; someone to have the experience of having their own horse (including grooming, tack cleaning etc) at a hugely discounted rate and without the full responsibility of ownership. Money is in short supply for me too, hence if I'm giving them my horse to treat as their own up to 5 days a week and paying the livery, insurance, vets bills, teeth, feet, feed, bedding etc it's not unreasonable to ask for something back. Wish I'd grown up where you were years ago - back when I was a kid we paid £35 a week for me to loan a riding school horse. I could ride it every day (around lessons) and was also expected to do all of its care, to teach me about horses! All my sharers have always paid, although I agree if you are looking for someone spectacular who is going to teach your horse it should be free if mutually beneficial, or you should be paying them.

i may be rather a lot older than you as no one ever paid to ride a horse, the owners were just grateful that their horse got out of the stable for a couple of hours. in those days it was more normal that horses were stabled all of the time and just had holidays out at grass....i knew no different but would be horrified now if my horse didnt have daily turnout. how times have changed!!!!

Jojoba

Visit site
Mines never stayed in since I got him (as a 3yo). He lives out in all weathers and didn't own a rug until I went soft a couple of years ago :p. I have a stable because I like having my own little space and somewhere to come in out of the rain. But no mucking out!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Mines never stayed in since I got him (as a 3yo). He lives out in all weathers and didn't own a rug until I went soft a couple of years ago :p. I have a stable because I like having my own little space and somewhere to come in out of the rain. But no mucking out!

i wish we could turn out all of the time, i am on a livery yard and we are also lucky that we can turn out 24.7 in summer and daily in winter but if the winter is very wet we try and limit their time out so they are not completely trashing the field, our YO doesnt tell us how much we can turn out but we try and respect her land as much as possible and mine is out for at least 3 hours even if the field is bad...so we are better off than some...

Jojoba

Visit site
Lucky round here that there's so much land - it's fairly unusual to not have access to 24/7 turnout all year round on livery. He occasionally comes in for a few hours in the day to remind him about being civilised and being indoors for a while!

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
Its just as bad down south! i'm looking for someone to share a smashing semi retired show cob, well schooled, fun confidence giving ride who looks after a rider (even taken disabled rider hacking off the lead) who really doesn't want to go to shows anymore but happy to work in school, we have lovely hacking, a private yard with school & all i ask is the cost of shoes (£10 a week) and to keep an eye on our gang of 6 (who live out) for a week when we go away.

Leo Walker

Visit site
just to put the other side ...... i have just retired my horse but still have her....i am an experienced competent rider, very reliable, and wouldnt overhorse myself as i know what i am capable of...HOWEVER, round me people want their horse mucked out, groomed, tack cleaned , and horse fed and turned out so owner has the whole day off AND want money as well. sorry even if i had the money(every penny goes on my broken horse!!) i wouldnt be interested.....years ago people were only too happy if you exercised their horse and gave the tack a quick wipe over and no other jobs were expected or money.....i will wait till my girl is no more and try and find a horse to full loan... money is in very short supply for lots of us so there maybe someone who would tick all your boxes and would be happy to do all of the jobs but may not be able to afford to pay..

I looked for someone like you for ages. I would even have paid for you to take him out and about. I got no takers other than teenagers who were all terrible to a degree and highly unreliable. My current sharer gives me £15 a week. Its a token sum compared to the actual cost of keeping him. I don't need the money, but asking for a contribution seemed to increase the amount and quality of people interested. Shes very reliable and treats him well and in return she has access to a lovely pony and lots of support from me. She also only has to go once a day and jobs are limited and easy.

So while I agree with you in principle it didn't work for me at all and I tried on and off for about 18 months