Where to find a dressage rider taking on young horses?

rachyblue

Visit site
Basically what the title says. I'd rather place my youngster with a good amateur or professional rider than sell him.

He is dual purpose bred, and I have found a few promising event riders, but I personally think he would suit dressage better, and I am struggling to find any suitable dressage riders.

Where would be the best place to look?

Booboos

Visit site
I assume you want to place your horse on schooling livery with a professional rider? If yes you have plenty of choice. Check out the BD list of trainers, if none of them are suitable they should have students/colleagues they can recommend.

Partoow

Visit site
I suggest you go to a few of the more important shows, ie high profile or premier league and watch some of the classes , and the working in arenas.
From here you can see if there are any riders you like. Some of the Premier leagues have young horse classes so that would be good to watch.
Most of the pro riders would be happy to talk to you.
I don't know if your horse is registered with any breed society but if he / she is then talk to them as most will have young horse assessments and a number of pro riders that they might recommend
Hope that helps

rachyblue

Visit site
Yes schooling initially but then competition, I mean long term. I know some riders advertise for owners, well the eventing ones at least.
He is a branded Hanoverian.

Last edited:

doratheexplorer

Visit site
I dont know when BD do age classes, but it may be worth popping along and having a look at the 4/5YOs and the warm up to get an idea of whose riding you like and what you think will suit your boy.

Afrikaner

Visit site
Emile Faurie. Not cheap but worth the money and has a good rider for the lower classes. Depends how good your boy is and how much you want to spend!!!

Booboos

Visit site
What are your aims for your horse? Do you want him to do well in Young Horse classes, do you want someone to bring him on for 2-3 years with a view to selling on, do you want to see how far he will go on the road to GP, or something else?

rachyblue

Visit site
Sorry - was following up some of the very helpful PMs I received. Don't mind where he is so long as I can visit.
I want to get him started them see how good he is from there. On paper he should be good but you never really know until they are established. I would sell to the right home, but I think this route is the best way to getting him a good home either way. I would loan but would need some serious references... So many horror stories!

halfwit

Visit site
My young horse has just been backed by Ami Mclean she is based in Hertfordshire, she will compete her this year.
Her details are on the BD website or Kimpton Vale Dressage