where to find cheap but DECENT saddle :) also in stable room

jalapeno

Wherever the wind takes me.. usually somewhere on
Visit site
I have been on a saddle hunt for aggess now! I just want a nice leather saddle, not a harry dabs or anything as it's ponies first one! Can anyone recommend one? 16ish inch wide fit
Also how do you go about getting the saddler to assess? I mean without the horse being ridden, would I just get a more experienced person to check the fit?

coss

Visit site
depends on budget - check out equestrian clearance as they often have good saddles on there. Got mine very cheap as it "may" have had scuff marks on it. it has a tiny mark on the cantle where it looks like it had been scratched- bargain ;)

Ladydragon

Visit site
We've asked our saddler, Clive, to source one... Our TB is a bit of an odd shape... Clive fitted him initially with an inexpensive one to allow for him to grow and fill out but he knows what I want in time and will keep his eye out for me...

When he comes out my son hops and puts the horse through some paces in the school or parking area so the fit can be fully checked...

Swift08

Visit site
I was lucky to find a lovely one on preloved in 2010. It is a lovely L&R that cost £125, took it to a very reputable master saddler who said it was completely sound and thought we must have paid around £300! (although I had polished it up and got rid of the mold). I'm aware how lucky I was to find it so I'm keeping it as it will probably fit (ok, i'm hoping it will fit!) my youngster when it comes to backing her this summer. If you look at preloved there may be a few about, it's just a matter of searching through and maybe not minding something that needs a bit of a clean up :) As for assessing the fit, the saddler I used happily gave pointers on what to look for as a rough guide to fitting as Pharaoh was an unusual shape and she came out to check it when I wasn't sure.

Flicker

Visit site
I have two thorogoods - one dressage and one gp. They are great. The dressage saddle has leather seat and knee rolls. They were both £500 each new.

Ladylina83

Visit site
I've bought 2 fantastic well made english leather saddles from ebay one was 300 well made jumping saddle including leathers stirrups and delivery and the other WH saddle £100 which I went to collect