where to freeze mark?

Horse and Hound Stand??

• Total voters

parsley

Visit site
I am having my two freezemarked next week. I am having my boy done under the saddle and just assumed that under the saddle would be the best place for my son's pony. However, his instructor has told me that some M&Ms have them under their mane so that they cannot be seen as much when they are stripped down. I know its not important at local shows but she says it might be better if he ever takes him to some of the bigger shows. I like showing him in hand as well.

Has anyone seen / had this done>

parsley

Visit site
Because I want to prevent them being stolen and sent through markets or sold on privatly etc - a freezemark is visable whereas a microchip isn't - it relies on someone scanning for the chip. I know that microchips are becoming more popular but I prefer a more visable form of identification - I am also having a personalised mark done

Claireg9

Visit site
you say you want something visible incase of theft... then you say you want it hidden for showing purposes... hello, if you can do a good job of hiding it for the judge so can the theifs for the market!
I would go for the shoulder every time its the best place to be seen and tbh you shouldnt get marked down for it! Recovery time is quicker too!
I would air on the side of caution and get microchipped too!
Its good your having it done though and anywhere is better than no where, we have a native at our yard with freeze marks on its neck, we also used to have one with it stamped on the side of its bum!

jj_87

Visit site
chelsea has white bits where you'd normally freeze mark so shes freeze marked on her stifle i show her at local/county level. And Humbug and Tiffany are microchipped

parsley

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
hello, if you can do a good job of hiding it for the judge so can the theifs for the market!

[/ QUOTE ]

While I appreciate that putting the freezemark under the mane will hide it to some extent I still think that it is not as hidden as a microchip

parsley

Visit site
Thanks. Do you see anyone at county level with them under thier mane? (if you can see them!). I hadnt heard of this before today.

spider

community.webshots.com
Is it more painful on their neck? Someone told me there were lots of nerve endings on the neck which is why you shouldn't use your stick there. Don't know if this is true or not.