Where to look for a loan horse outside the obvious

Jesstickle

Visit site
I am probably being a bit of a dolt but outside the obvious (H&H, horsequest, horsemart and the faceache pages) is there anywhere I ought to be looking?

Love

Visit site
Preloved is good. Or local tack shops/feed merchants. Where abouts are you based? I might be able to help depending on your area. Pm if you prefer :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
I'm currently in Suffolk. I think most of the forum know that so definitely not a secret! I haven't been to the feed shops for ages. That will make OH happy come the weekend when I insist we drive round looking at all the boards :p

Goldenstar

Visit site
Ask your farrier, your vet , your saddler and whoever you have had lessons from these people particularily the farriers know what horses are going around.

dafthoss

Visit site
I'll keep an eye out at pc if you like. Actually I know one that might be available soon, whats the smallest you'd be willing to go?

Jesstickle

Visit site
Will definitely do that GS. Farriers always know everything don't they?

DH- I don't know. I'm quite fat so it would have to carry my fat butt!

LittleTero

Visit site
What are you looking for? How experienced are u etc? Cos I know of a couple but not novice rides. Not naughty but just not for novice :)

Lolo

Visit site
The FreeAds where were we got most out old horses and ponies, and then word of mouth for Reg and the current crew.

Jesstickle

Visit site
LT I'm no Mary King but I'm not a total novice either. I guess I'm a reasonably competent amateur??

Looking for something to do normal things like hunter trial, hack etc. No crazy youngsters though. I've had my fill of those for a while!

ghostie

Visit site
Would you have another tb? Beautifully schooled on flat, very willing but not jumped much in last few years due to owner's lack of jumping enthusiasm. Does jump though and with a little work would happily do low level eventing. Pm me if it may suit :)

pip6

Visit site
I started with taking a horse on loan. My way was to put a notice up in my local tack shop, & got the perfect reply. Be very honest about what you can deal with, what you want to do, & very clear about what you don't want.

LittleTero

Visit site
Just seen someone said your not keen on having another tb, which the one I know of is. An ex racer, who hasn't been ridden for two years, but ice had her as a companion for a nearly two months so she is now back in work and v v smart. She goes brilliantly as long as you don't take any rubbish. She came to me as 'nappy' but although she may think about it now and again I find so long as you give her a smack before she starts napping (aka when she starts to require excess leg) then she never gets as far as napping and is totally grand. I only offer as I can't afford to spend money going into winter on a horse that doesn't belong to me when I could get a project that becomes an investment. And all she will do is end up back at the stud where she was for two years and do nothing again, which is a shame as she's super smart and a really lovely mare to have around. I've almost stopped riding her now and let friends do it cos everytime I ride her I think 'god this is smart' then don't want to give her back!!! But she's good to ride and lead because I lead my polo pony off her all the time.