Where to look for a plod in his early teens

teasle

Visit site
I have today given up hope of ever riding my horse again who has been on and off lame for a year now. I want to buy another horse, but a horse in his prime is wasted on me. I am an older lady who just wants to amble around the countryide for an hour a few times a week and have a little horse to love. But on all the websites I look at I find only young horses for sale, of the type I am looking for (ploddy cob about 14.2 that can carry 12 stione ). Wheere should I be looking for an older cob?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Have you looked on Preloved or Dragon Driving? I find DD very hard to look at (some very sad looking neddies on there) but there are some real gems on it too and they have alot of cobby types.

teasle

Visit site
Thank you both- I think I saw the 14 year old mare but she is said to be very forward - I really need a ploddy cob.Will keep looking on the sites . There has not been much for sale in the south on dd ,but will keep kooking.

Sheep

Visit site
A younger cob (maybe 7+) might also suit you. Remember, horses don't have aspirations- as long as they are fed and watered, they are happy ;) A quiet horse in its early teens was probably a quiet 7 or 8 year old at some point too.

Good luck in your search!

McNally

Visit site
Where are you? Just on the off chance! I have 2 early teens hacks and am desperate for help riding/doing!!!

Secondly though One of mine has a lameness problem, he's been on and off lame for years (hence horse no2 coming along)- nothing the vets can do and they have tried other than cortisone but it was getting less and less effective. I tried as a last chance worth a go thing Equine Americas buteless extra strength. I've been using it about 3 months and my horse has NEVER been sound this long! I'm 100% sure his last cortisone would have worn off ages ago but he's still sound. ***fingers crossed and touching wood*** ;-) Might just be worth a try? I started using it when he was fairly comfortable anyway, using a loading dose as directed for about 3 weeks then cut down to the recommended dose. Its working for me?

The fact he's been sound since i started using it is why i'm now so pushed for time!

teasle

Visit site
I live near Guildford, would like to limit my search to an hours drive- but I got my present horse fron Norfolk . I dont drive and rely on my husband to take me if its a long way-but if not too far friends could probably be persuad3ed to give me a lift which makes looking easier as I often work at the weekend when hubby is available .

teasle

Visit site
McNally - thats wondweful that you have found a way to get your horse sound. My problem is that dispite a lot of vetinary investigation ( even an mri) my vet does not know why my horse is lame. Maybe he would be sound on bute or something but I would feel uneasy riding him when I dont know what the problem is.

teasle

Visit site
Safecobs have young horses for sale at the moment. I will keep my eye on hacking horses as they have had older horses on there, but when I saw them I had not given up on my horse so did not go and look.

teasle

Visit site
Thank you .meand myself. I like the look of the little piebald but cornwall is a bit far to look practically esppecially at the moment with so litle daylight. The others are too good for me and should go to a younger more active person. I really want an old plod.The life I would give the horse would be a semi retirement of light hacking and I feel that if I continue to look I will find the horse that will suit that life.

Godknows

Visit site
Thank you .meand myself. I like the look of the little piebald but cornwall is a bit far to look practically esppecially at the moment with so litle daylight. The others are too good for me and should go to a younger more active person. I really want an old plod.The life I would give the horse would be a semi retirement of light hacking and I feel that if I continue to look I will find the horse that will suit that life.

What about the rescue centres Like The blue cross

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/2584/adopt-a-horse-or-pony.html

Spotsrock

Visit site
Where are you? Just on the off chance! I have 2 early teens hacks and am desperate for help riding/doing!!!

Secondly though One of mine has a lameness problem, he's been on and off lame for years (hence horse no2 coming along)- nothing the vets can do and they have tried other than cortisone but it was getting less and less effective. I tried as a last chance worth a go thing Equine Americas buteless extra strength. I've been using it about 3 months and my horse has NEVER been sound this long! I'm 100% sure his last cortisone would have worn off ages ago but he's still sound. ***fingers crossed and touching wood*** ;-) Might just be worth a try? I started using it when he was fairly comfortable anyway, using a loading dose as directed for about 3 weeks then cut down to the recommended dose. Its working for me?

The fact he's been sound since i started using it is why i'm now so pushed for time!

BUTELESS Equine America is FAB!!

Luci07

Visit site
Have you thought about contacting the veteran society? They often have older horses up for loan. Alternatively of you were int in sharing during the week, I could ask my friend who has a laid back cob at our yard as we are in Dorking on the downs.

Waffles

Visit site
Some friends of mine recently got a coloured cob (ploddy) from some woman in Ireland who will find one for you. I think the whole thing including delivery and vetting cost about £2000 or so. I could find out where she got it from if you like... (we are in South Wales)

Bernster

Visit site
I'd agree with other posters that age isn't necessarily a deciding factor - older horses can be fizzy, younger ones totally ploddy, so I wouldn't rule them out on the basis of age alone.

I agree it's good to get one that has seen a bit of life, but more so you have some history of established behaviour than anything. I got my boy at just turned 8 and he is about as bombproof as any horse can be, and he hasn't changed over the years, that's just his personality.

I know what you mean about horses being suitable for more work but just because they are, doesn't mean they will be unhappy with a light hacking home. I think they appreciate good care and company and enough work to keep them healthy but, beyond that, I don't think they give a monkeys generally :)

MizzPurpleKitten

Visit site
It's a shame you're so far away as I have a 15.1hh (but very chunky so doesn;t feel any bigger than about 14.2hh!) welsh Sec D who is just that, a perfect plod! I'd never sell him but would love a sensible older lady to full loan him to stay at present yard, why aren't you in Leeds lol

Ladydragon

Visit site
coffee, wine ,chocolates, men......

:D Very true...

I'd just like to throw in an extra vote for age not being necessarily a deciding factor...

I'm a *cough* older woman with really bad confidence issues since returning to riding after a very long break...

My current comfort zone is a little, 5yr old, cob mare we have on loan for the children... Except they've advanced on to other rides and I'm still clinging onto this little doll... She's too small for me really as I'm tall but she's a 110% confidence giver - I can climb on board and tootle off for a relaxed hack every time, even on my own... She's perfectly happy and like me, has no interest in doing anything that requires much exertion...

My grand daughter has an 18yr old new forest type on loan... Gorgeous pony except she thinks she's a TB in training and hurtles around like a cat on crack... :D

Cobi

Visit site
This is the type of horse I would be looking for, a nice happy hack possible school work in darker days but nothing that wants to charge of and jump as I dont want to now! Thats long gone out of my system in my either brave or stupid younger days! ><

Good luck in your search, let us know if you find one :)