Where to look for an ID?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Hey folks, it’s me again, still looking for a novice husband friendly all rounder and not having much luck despite increasing the budget. Back in the day before I discovered warmbloods I harboured a hankering for a nice dappled grey ID type and am now wondering whether I can achieve my twenty-something dreams whilst also finding something suitable for the OH. Trouble is IDs seem to be few and far between (or at least it seems that way from my searches) so I was wondering can anyone recommend any dealers/breeders that might have what we’re looking for? Janet George was my go to but I don’t think she’s breeding anymore.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I emailed Janet back in February, before I got my feral PRE, and I didn't get a response. :( She's far from me, but her youngsters seemed so well-bred and lovingly brought on that I would have bought sight unseen from her. I imagine she's stopped breeding. Bummer.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I emailed Janet back in February, before I got my feral PRE, and I didn't get a response. :( She's far from me, but her youngsters seemed so well-bred and lovingly brought on that I would have bought sight unseen from her. I imagine she's stopped breeding. Bummer.

Yeah we’ve had similar, I’ve emailed and sent a PM on Facebook with no reply so figuring she’s stopped breeding for good now. Agree it’s a crying shame though as I’d have also bought unseen given half the chance. Hope teenage mum and baby are doing well x

Asha

Visit site
I think she may have a couple left to back/ get going . It’s worth giving her a call, she’s not on FB much at the moment .
Other than that if you go on the Irish Draught FB sites they do come up for sale there . You could always message Rita Jennings on FB too . She tends to hear of any Archie babies coming up for sale

Good luck with your search , hope you get sorted

Caol Ila

Visit site
Hope Janet is alright. I emailed her back in 2017 or '18 about an article I was writing for HHO (something about IDs, or breeding) and she answered quickly. We had a really lovely email conversation.

Lots of faff later, teen mum and baby are caught and in a hardstanding pen. Despite my attempts at walking down, scratches, positive reinforcement, she was getting more feral. If you act like a BLM mustang, you get treated like one. Maybe Mark Rashid would have done better. But I'm not Mark Rashid, and he's in Colorado. However, we started halter breaking foal and teaching him to lead.

SweetDreams

Visit site
unsure where you are based but there is a Breeders not far from me called bowland stud and a friend has one of their youngsters and he is beautiful!!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I think she may have a couple left to back/ get going . It’s worth giving her a call, she’s not on FB much at the moment .
Other than that if you go on the Irish Draught FB sites they do come up for sale there . You could always message Rita Jennings on FB too . She tends to hear of any Archie babies coming up for sale

Good luck with your search , hope you get sorted

Ooh interesting, I’d be a bit apprehensive about calling her after the previous messages went unanswered just in case she felt hounded but if you have a number for her I might dig out my brave pants. Will also drop Rita a message. Thanks so much!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site

Unfortunately we’re really looking for a gelding as we keep the horses at home and I have no idea how my youngster would be with a mare. There’s a couple I’m hoping to view next weekend if they’re still available by then but they’re nearly 5 hours away so hoping we might be able to find something closer if we’re lucky.

Visit site
Aughrim Stables on facebook always have lovely ones for sale. They are in Ireland. Also Reid Finlay (also on Facebook) sells lots of nice ones and I currently ride one of his for his owner and can recommend.

Last edited:

Antw23uk

Visit site
Janet George is retired so its unlikely you will hear from her. I cant help but i LOVE my RID, they are just so super. Good luck.

QuantockHills

Visit site
Ooh interesting, I’d be a bit apprehensive about calling her after the previous messages went unanswered just in case she felt hounded but if you have a number for her I might dig out my brave pants. Will also drop Rita a message. Thanks so much!
Give her a ring!! She's not breeding anymore but does have a few left being backed and ridden on... my boy's great!!

skint1

Visit site
I am a member of a couple of ID FB groups you might find useful Irish Draught Horse Society of GB, Irish Draught and Irish Cross Network, Irish Draught and IDSH Owners Group (No Selling), Irish Draughts and Irish Cobs (Kilkenny) all have useful contacts and occasionally you get pointed to people looking to sell on horses. I have an ID mare but honestly I didn't buy her for her breeding so I have no idea what is quality or not, but these seem friendly groups to gain some contacts. Good luck!