Where to look for companion HORSE (Kent ASAP)

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
I had the worst day at work ever yesterday. Came in to find our elderly shire horse dead. She was aparently fine the day before, looks like a heart attack overnight. :(

Anyway, so we are now left with the other horse left on her own. She is okay at the moment as she can see the body but when it is taken away today she is going to be on her own, and she is a horse that bonds very strongly and doesn't cope with being alone well. So we need a companion horse asap. Work don't want a pony, but another horse as current mare gets on better with horses. Have had a quick look around online, local tack shops etc but can only see small ponies. Any ideas where to look?

Needs to be...
in reasonable health, won't be worked at all so as long as field sound and doesn't require regular expensive medicine fine
any age considered, so long as not ancient as we don't want this happening again next year
happy to live out all year round (rugged in winter obviously and with field shelter)
friendly as will be in contact with the public
in kent or very nearby
free to good home or permanant loan

We thought about a rescue but we think that will just take too long, what with the homechecking process and everything, we really need something in the next couple of days. Would be ideal for a retiring horse, retiring broodmare, horse that can't be worked etc.

Any ideas of where to look greatfully recieved!!!

Spudlet

Visit site
I think it's worth enquiring with a rescue, it might not take as long as you think. You lose nothing by asking, anyway.

scatty_mare

Visit site
My old horse (15hh welsh D) has recently had to be retired and her owners are looking for a companion home on long term loan. She is on Bedgebury Forest.
I had her for 10 years and sold her 4 years ago to this family, and I wish wish wish I could have her back but sadly no can do.
PM me if you'd like more details.

Tobiano

Visit site
hi - really sorry about your Shire. You could try looking on line eg google companion Kent (or nearer town) - I read the horses for sale ads all the time and its amazing how many companion horses there are available all over the place. Could be worth an hour's work on the internet or rope in some friends to help? Good luck.

winchester

Visit site
My Friend has a horse being offered as Companion loan she is located in Essex but has a horsebox and can deliver - please pm if you would like her number

Shelley

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
Scatty_mare and british breeder - I have passed on your details to work and if they are intrested I will PM you within the next couple of days.
Thanks for all your help guys, with a couple of us asking around we have had about 5 horses offered to us, so its just a matter of work deciding who they want!

bunnynewth

New User
Visit site
Hi
I guess I'm just a bit too late for this, but I have such a lovely connemara gelding who is 22yrs old and needs a home for a year or so while I work abroad. He is fantasric to handle , never kicks a great character and has always had a loving home. He can live out with shelter and I am happy to pay for his costs.
Let me know if it could be good for you.
Bunny

mightymammoth

Visit site
Try blue cross and world horse welfare rescues, I think you only ever loan them so there's peace of mind if your circumstance change as they go back to the rescue or google horse rescues kent

bunnynewth

New User
Visit site
Thats helpful, but I would prefer to pay for a retirement livery option and as close to where I llive in kent when not abroad. If there is anything that fits the bill please do get back. Thanks a lot