Where to look for horses at this time of year?

Cedars

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate it if you could help me, I thought this would be a good place to ask!

At the end of the season, our eventer was PTS. My OH (who is the rider) is keen to look for a new ride this side of the winter, firstly because he has nothing else to ride, and secondly because he wants to build a bond over the winter and do some dressage/SJ before affliating again next season.

We are looking for a 16hh+ <10yo horse. Ideally a TB (or TBx) gelding, but pretty much will consider anything. It must have experience (though doesn't need to have affiliated - even just schooling would be considered). It must be competative at very low levels (BE90/BE100), scope to go further would be nice but not essential. It MUST be a 'nice person' - that is the most important requirement, more than anything else. It must be good to hack, good to load, good to clip etc. It will be handled daily by me - I'm 5ft2 and novicey. We will consider most quirks (windsucking etc) but horse must have a good personality. It must be suitable to fit with our small, family yard (three other horses). The budget is more than reasonable for this type of horse.

I have exhausted Horsequest, I have exhausted Horsemart, I have exhausted Horse and Hound. I have exhausted British Eventing. I have exhausted my (limited) local contacts. I have exhausted tack shops, countrywides, facebook groups. We still do not have a horse! And I am totally at a loss as to where to look now.

Are there any websites I haven't tried? Suggested people I might ring? I am nervous about going to a 'dealer' and was hoping to buy from a family home as the horse must fit into a family home - there is no point finding something on a huge livery yard. But equally we are totally stuck and I have no idea where to go now!!! :(

Any suggestions appreciated, we're in the South West. If its just the wrong time of year to find something like this, then please tell me...! I really, really hate horse shopping and the whole thing is pretty soul destroying. Looking at an empty box sucks. :(

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Hx

Cedars

Visit site
Haha no worries, it's more of a concern that I'm 6months of qualifying as a primary teacher and it took me AGES to work out which < or > I needed LOL!

Feisty Mare

Visit site
Try tom searle equestrian (Google for details is also on Facebook) based wiltshire, usually has some to sell of his own or on behalf of owners.

Cedars

Visit site
Thank you Feisty Mare, we saw a horse with Tom (really lovely mare, bit too green though :( boo) but I will get in touch with him again. Thanks :)

MontyandZoom

Visit site
The horse I share is currently for sale. 17.2 7yo homebred. He has great paces and jump but hasn't done that much. He is a real stunner, half tb but built like a hunter (takes after his mum!!). PM me for details (don't button push......I have nothing to gain!!)

Cedars

Visit site
Hi MontyandZoom (haven't seen you around for ages, hi!). 17.2hh is too big really, I'm 5ft2 and I would be pretty terrified I think. 17hh is probably max. Thanks though. Poor you, that he's for sale :(

Cedars

Visit site
Thank you KatB I've just messaged them :)

Thanks OldBat, I'm struggling to use the website properly from my phone but I'll have a proper look later :) I knew asking here would help! :D

TableDancer

Visit site
I am very surprised you say there is nothing on Horsequest, I would say it is packed with horses meeting the criteria you have stated at the moment - what is your budget? Don't be shy, it is difficult to make suggestions without knowing... I would also try the Pony Club website, there is no law against using it just because you aren't a PC home ;)

Cedars

Visit site
Don't want to post budget on here but it is very flexible and much more than reasonable - we won't pay over the odds but equally if the right horse appears then that's great.

I've been to see 7 in the last two weeks off Horsequest (I've spoken to over 50 people)- all nice horses just mostly not fitting all the criteria - or something we've not clicked with. It is a tricky one - trying to find something with the right scope and ability but also something we like and bond with and could be the 'family pet' all our other horses are.

I will have another flick through Horsequest though :)